Thread: Highlights from the State of the Union address

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default Highlights from the State of the Union address

h, the State of the Union address. 68 minutes of political theater sandwiched between hours of political punditry with a delicious side of everybody live-blogging it. There were some awkward moments and some serious ones, and some talk about gays.

First up was the requisite bragging about all the great stuff Obama did in the last year. Biggest thing: Just a little thing he likes to call saving the entire country from total economic meltdown. But Obama would also acknowledge in a funny way the unpopularity of the bank bailout that saved the world:

Our most urgent task upon taking office was to shore up the same banks
    that helped cause this crisis. It was not easy to do. And if there's
    one thing that has unified Democrats and Republicans, it's that we all
    hated the bank bailout. I hated it. You hated it. It was about as
    popular as a root canal.
    Ha ha, everyone hates banks!

Then there were all tax cuts Obama. People loves tax cuts as much as they hate banks. At least, that's what Obama thought; but, no, only Democrats applauded his tax cuts. Obama acknowledged this paradox with a cute little off-the-cuff remark, pointing to Republicans and saying "I thought I'd get applause for that."

That was sort of awkward. Also awkward was how Obama bashed the Supreme Court as they sat right in the front row in their funny dresses, trying not to make eye contact with dad as he scolded them:

Last week, the Supreme Court reversed a century of law to open the floodgates for
    special interests – including foreign corporations – to spend without
    limit in our elections. Well I don't think American elections should
    be bankrolled by America's most powerful interests, or worse, by
    foreign entities.
    And there were other awkward parts: Like when Obama was talking about the tax freeze and dismissed his critics with a "That's how budgeting works." And how he announced his plan to set up monthly meetings with GOP leaders with a snappy "I know you can't wait." What's with all the jaunty japes and jabs? We were almost expecting an iPad period joke.

But Obama got serious when talking about how the economy is in the tank, and we have a bunch of heavy problems that need to be fixed. This is what pundits like to call the "laundry list," which always confused us because who makes a list when they're doing laundry? Is it a list of every item of clothing you're cleaning, or what? Maybe a shopping list would be a more appropriate metaphor.

If it was a shopping list, then the first thing on there would be organic, locally-sourced jobs. Jobs are really in right now. Everyone wants one! Obama spent like 20 minutes talking about jobs; about the small business owners who provide them and the random people he met somehow who don't have them. Jobs working on the railroad; jobs in clean energy. Jobs.

Also, gays. Gays will be able to shoot guns for us in the military soon, if Obama has his way:

My Administration has a Civil Rights Division that is once again prosecuting civil rights violations and employment discrimination. We finally strengthened our laws to
    protect against crimes driven by hate. This year, I will work with
    Congress and our military to finally repeal the law that denies gay
    Americans the right to serve the country they love because of who they are.
    But it wasn't all boring list-type stuff. Obama also made many references to the tough spot he's found himself in these past couple weeks and months. Everyone was wondering what the hell Obama was going to say about the health care bill he spent so much time on, now that it looks about to be shot down by a naked senator. Turns out the main problem was that he didn't "explain it" clearly enough? He should have plenty of time to explain himself better, though, since he made it clear that he will continue the health care fight.

this is a complex issue, and the longer it was debated, the
    more skeptical people became. I take my share of the blame for not
    explaining it more clearly to the American people. And I know that
    with all the lobbying and horse-trading, this process left most
    Americans wondering what's in it for them.
    Perhaps most interesting was when he invoked his own campaign slogan—almost wistfully—in reflecting on the hardships he's faced:

I campaigned on the promise of change – change we can believe in, the
    slogan went. And right now, I know there are many Americans who
    aren't sure if they still believe we can change – or at least, that I
    can deliver it.
    But remember this – I never suggested that change would be easy, or
    that I can do it alone. Democracy in a nation of three hundred
    million people can be noisy and messy and complicated. And when you
    try to do big things and make big changes, it stirs passions and
    controversy. That's just how it is.The State of The Union: All The Good Parts - Barack Obama - Gawker
    I think he did a great job, admitting his mistakes, being honest and telling people the bald truth: it's not easy to effect change, it takes more than one person to make it happen, the GOP needs to stop being part of the problem and become part of the solution and yeah, he's not perfect and he can't be all things to all people. I think people forget that and I think the left has sometimes become too used to finding fault.

I do love him calling out the Supreme Court in particular.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k92SerxLWtc[/YOUTUBE]
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

He can take our bullet train and shove it. That 2 billion dollars could go to Fl education which is in dire straights.
    As far as the speech. Some good points some of the same. My hope isnt too high these days
    Last edited by cupcake; January 28th, 2010 at 07:30 AM.
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

I was expecting a really somber and depressing speech, so I was pleasantly surprised that he went the populist route. That's what the GOP has been doing and he needed to do the same. I was happy he took the blame for his fuck-ups, especially on healthcare. But when he said that on healthcare he wasn't just trying to get a political victory I knew that was a lie, otherwise he would've drawn a line in the sand with the public option. As far as repealing DADT it sounds great, but I'll believe it when I see it. Other than that, I loved the speech, especially when he called out the Supreme Court and the Senate, while backing the GOP into a corner.

As usual, my favorite part was watching Pelosi jump up and down like she was leading a pep squad. Biden was funny, too.

The Republican response with McDonnell was hysterical. I loved how he tried to set it up as if he was giving a State of the Union, too. I think that was a prelude to a 2012 run. Having a black woman and Asian man directly over his shoulder was funny. And I liked how McDonnell said 'we governors know this,' when talking about governing when he's only been a governor for 11 days.

Speaker of the House always jumps up and down, although it was always a bit wobbly when Tip O'neal held that seat.

Look, he's a politician and needs to/has to play the game so I'll let him slide on a few. But it's so damned refreshing to see a man with his kind of power not just call out those with almost equal power but to do it with humour and humility...and then he admits he's not infallible (must be a first in the last fifty years of politics) and that sometimes he's not perfect. He also called out the repugs for being part of the problem, not the solution, and them sitting there not clapping when he talked about tax cuts is pure and utter partisan bullshit. I hate them more than ever.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

I know Obama plays the political game. All politicians do. That's part of the job description. And I agree that it is refreshing to see a politician, especially a president, take the blame for their fuck-ups, without gritting their teeth. (See Dubya 'as president I guess I have to take...responsibility' speech after Katrina)

I never expected sweeping change from Obama out of the gate, because realistically that won't happen. He's done things I love and he's done things that disappointed me. But what I really want to see from him more than anything else is to show more decisive leadership on a consistent basis. Hopefully, the State of the Union was the beginning of that.
    Last edited by kingcap72; January 28th, 2010 at 02:41 PM. Reason: correct typo

Quote Originally Posted by cupcake View Post
    He can take our bullet train and shove it. That 2 billion dollars could go to Fl education which is in dire straights.
    As far as the speech. Some good points some of the same. My hope isnt too high these days
    Were they ever? As far as him and his administration?
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

He's not perfect and he never claimed to be. You try running the country and see how many people you can please at the same time. Then call me up.

We'll talk.

Quote Originally Posted by cupcake View Post
    yes, Florida got 2 billion and Texas got 4 million...
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    He's not perfect and he never claimed to be. You try running the country and see how many people you can please at the same time. Then call me up.

We'll talk.
    Exactly. The USA is a very divided country right now and he's come into office at a rather perilous time. He is not omnipotent and when people sit around bitching because everything hasn't magically been transformed in 12 months it kind of pisses me off. The man has A LOT on his plate at the moment.

--Sinclair Lewis

I am SO tired of the "a lot on his plate" argument. It's fucking bunk.

It's not a matter of having "a lot on his plate" if what he tackles, like healthcare, is done where it's sold to insurance companies to fatten their bottom line.

How does that have ANYTHING to do with the amount on his plate? It doesn't.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    Exactly. The USA is a very divided country right now and he's come into office at a rather perilous time. He is not omnipotent and when people sit around bitching because everything hasn't magically been transformed in 12 months it kind of pisses me off. The man has A LOT on his plate at the moment.
    True, Obama does have a lot on his plate, and he's had a host of new problems to deal with, too. And no one should've been expecting quick change, especially since he told people on Election Night that change wasn't going to happen in one year, or even one term. But, with that said, as president he's not above criticism. Because if Obama supporters act as if we must praise him 24/7, then that makes us no better than the Obama haters who bitch and moan 24/7 and give him credit for nothing.

People on the far-right are going to complain about everything Obama does for various reasons. And people on the far-left complain about everything because despite the fact that he didn't campaign as a liberal they expect him to govern as one. It was the same thing with Clinton, from both the right and the left.

uh, im pretty sure the ones on the left just want him to uphold his campaign promises
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Thread Information