Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S.C Lt. Gov Andre Bauer says poor "owe" for government services

Default S.C Lt. Gov Andre Bauer says poor "owe" for government services

Saturday, Jan. 23, 2010

Bauer: Needy 'owe something back' for aid

By NATHANIEL CARY - The Greenville News

GREENVILLE - Lt. Gov. Andre Bauer has compared giving people government assistance to "feeding stray animals."

Bauer, who is running for the Republican nomination for governor, made his remarks during a town hall meeting in Fountain Inn that included state lawmakers and about 115 residents.

"My grandmother was not a highly educated woman, but she told me as a small child to quit feeding stray animals. You know why? Because they breed. You're facilitating the problem if you give an animal or a person ample food supply. They will reproduce, especially ones that don't think too much further than that. And so what you've got to do is you've got to curtail that type of behavior. They don't know any better," Bauer said.

In South Carolina, 58 percent of students participate in the free and reduced-price lunch program.

Bauer's remarks came during a speech in which he said government should take away assistance if those receiving help didn't pass drug tests or attend parent-teacher conferences or PTA meetings if their children were receiving free and reduced-price lunches.

Bauer later Friday told The Greenville News he wasn't saying people on government assistance "were animals or anything else."

In his speech, Bauer said people have to become more engaged with government.

"You see, for the first time in the history of this country, we've got more people voting for a living than we do working for a living."

Later in his speech, Bauer said, "I can show you a bar graph where free and reduced lunch has the worst test scores in the state of South Carolina," adding, "You show me the school that has the highest free and reduced lunch, and I'll show you the worst test scores, folks. It's there, period.

"So how do you fix it? Well you say, 'Look, if you receive goods or services from the government, then you owe something back.'"
    Bauer said there are no "repercussions" from accepting government assistance.

"We don't make you take a drug test. We ought to. We don't even make you show up to your child's parent-teacher conference meeting or to the PTA meeting.

"You go to a school where there's an active participation of parents, and guess what? They have the highest test scores. So what do you do? You say, 'Look folks, if you receive goods or services from the government and you don't attend a parent-teacher conference, bam, you lose your benefits.'

"We're going to have to do things like that. We can't afford to keep just giving money away."

And, Bauer said, it is time to confront "babies having babies.

Somebody's got to talk about. Politicians don't want to talk about it anymore because it's politically incorrect."

Bauer told The News later, "People in society have certain responsibilities; just like if you don't pay your taxes, there are certain repercussions."

He said government hasn't made requirements to make those receiving aid be more responsible.

"They can continue to have more and more kids, and the reward is there's more and more money in it for them."

Instead, he said, the government should place incentives in its welfare programs, such as providing child care so parents can work or receive education so they can break the welfare cycle.

Government continues to reward bad behavior by giving money to people who "don't have to do a thing," he said.

Tymeco Gregory grew up in a single-parent home in which, he said, his family relied on free-lunch programs at school to survive while struggling to pay bills.

"If I didn't get any money or help with food for school and stuff, we probably would have to go without eating at school," Gregory said. "We don't have a lot of extra money."

Now an 18-year-old freshman physics major at Wofford College, Gregory credited a support system from Furman University's Bridges to a Brighter Future program and government assistance with helping him achieve his goal to attend college.

Tobi Swartz, director of Bridges to a Brighter Future, declined to comment on Bauer's remarks but said students can achieve despite their backgrounds if shown the opportunity.

"Income and circumstance does not define you, and young people have the ability to make choices that are their future," Swartz said.
    "We need to provide opportunities and exposure that will provide them the vision for something beyond their circumstances."

Bauer: Needy 'owe something back' for aid - South Carolina & Regional - Wire - TheSunNews.com

Sorry kid, no food for you because your mom missed the parent/teacher meeting.
    "But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

"Trump is, in my opinion, the first woman president of the United States." -- Roseanne Barr

Nice. Republican charity at its best.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Jesus would love this approach.

"My grandmother was not a highly educated woman, but she told me as a small child to quit feeding stray animals. You know why? Because they breed. You're facilitating the problem if you give an animal or a person ample food supply. They will reproduce, especially ones that don't think too much further than that. And so what you've got to do is you've got to curtail that type of behavior. They don't know any better," Bauer said.
    I'm sure his grandparents lived through the Great Depression and relied on government services while breeding his parents. I wonder if he feels his grandparents owe the government for those services? Probably not.

Elite Member

Has to be a Republican.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Compassionate Conservativitism at its finest. Can someone put this asshat down?

*edit: here's a rather interesting take on it. Wonder what those nearly 13% officially unemployed think about his comments?

The State—a newspaper that is either really good, or just has a good beat, since South Carolina politicians have neither self-control nor discursive filters—reports that Bauer refuses to apologize. Though his words were rough, he says, the message was true. Which is weird, because even if you forgive him for comparing poor people to flea-bag alley cats that "don't know any better" than to blindly rub their genitals together until flea-bag babies spring from their loins—if you actually follow his argument to its logical conclusion? It's that we should starve poor people until their reproductive organs cease to function, which is not only totally messed up, but isn't even efficient.

"This is out of love and compassion," Bauer said. "If I have to take a hit, then fine. ... I will take short-term pain for long-term gain."
    Bauer's "stray animals" rant came on the same day that South Carolina reported a jobless rate of 12.6 percent. Some South Carolinians find this coincidence distressing. On a completely unrelated note, how cute do Bauer and Luv Guv look on that bicycle built for two? [State]http://gawker.com/5456032/lt-gov-wont-apologize-for-comparing-poor-people-to-fat-horny-stray-animals
    This guy, by the way, has a big anti-gay agenda yet has been outed as being gay, although if he really is and who was behind the outing is teh source of a lot of controversy. Sounds like he's a big, steaming pile of asshat.
    Last edited by buttmunch; January 25th, 2010 at 04:24 AM.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

What a douchebag.
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

Just when I thought these idiots couldn't leave me speechless anymore...

Silver Member

(bracing self for the backlash...) I kind of agree with his underlying stance. I've seen far too many people abuse the welfare system and not put a lick of thought or time into anyone other than themselves. If welfare came with strings attached it might turn into a hand UP instead of a handout. When you have to work for something it has far greater value than something you were given for free.

On the other hand though I completely disagree that children should be punished for their parents choices. Cutting off an entire family because the parents can't be bothered isn't fair to the kids. It's heart wrenching to see these kids running wild & hungry while their parents use welfare to fund their addictions. And unfortunately I know of too many people who purposely had multiple children in order to increase the amount of money they received.

So no universal health care that would make birth control cheap and available so you're saying don't fuck because you might have babies? Or maybe starve so you don't have the energy to fuck? Hell, fucking is about the only thing left that's free and fun. It's bullshit, through and through. I'd like this dickwad to go live for 6 months on minimum wage and then say what he has said.

There will always be people who abuse the system but they are very much in the minority. And welfare already comes with strings attached in many states. It hasn't worked out very well in many cases.

Oh, and he's a closet case who consistantly votes anti-gay. The man has issues. Who wants to bet he's a Christian Conservative as well.

And could I mention that having children and fucking is not the domain of the wealthy and powerful. Money does not create a happy home.
    Last edited by buttmunch; January 27th, 2010 at 03:14 AM.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

My problem with welfare is that the system is so easily cheated. There is nothing approaching any kind of investigatory unit that ensures people on it are on it properly, kinda like disability.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

He makes a very valid point about parents actively participating, and the good for kids that comes from that participation. Rich, poor, or in between, you need to be involved. The rest, well, that's another story.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

$10 says this fucker ate gubment cheese at some point in his life.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Welfare was meant to bridge people who were struggling. It was never meant to be a lifestyle. That being said, it would hurt the kids most if he got his way. NO ONE in this country should go hungry EVER! That is just wrong. Some kids, free/reduced lunch is the only meal they get.

The gov't needs to find a way to educate people. The public school system is awful. Too many in charge vs teachers. If you can get people through school they can get out of the poverty.

Bauer's remarks came during a speech in which he said government should take away assistance if those receiving help didn't pass drug tests or attend parent-teacher conferences or PTA meetings if their children were receiving free and reduced-price lunches
    This man has obviously never been to a PTA meeting. They are hell and run by micro-managing helicopter parents. Unless he's going for cruel and unusual punishment.

--Sinclair Lewis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information