Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Republican Scott Brown wins the late Sen. Ted Kennedy's Massachusetts Senate seat

Default Republican Scott Brown wins the late Sen. Ted Kennedy's Massachusetts Senate seat

Republican Scott Brown Defeats Democrat Martha Coakley in Mass. Senate Race
    Democrats Lose Super Majority in U.S. Senate, Legacy of Kennedy Seat

By DEVIN DWYER

Jan. 19, 2010

In a dramatic upset that will end Democrats' super majority in the Senate, Massachusetts Republican Scott Brown defeated Democrat Martha Coakley to claim the seat held by the late Ted Kennedy for more than 46 years.

John Berman, Rick Klein and David Chalian discuss the Massachusetts election.Brown's victory makes him the 41st Republican in the Senate, meaning Democrats will no longer be able to prevent a Republican filibuster -- a major complication for President Obama's agenda and health care legislation currently pending in Congress.

Brown has said he opposes Democrats' health care overhaul working its way through Congress, and some Democrats are even acknowledging Brown's win could imperil passage of other big ticket items, including climate change legislation, regulatory reforms and a banking industry overhaul. There has so far been little or no bipartisanship on such major issues.

Obama himself acknowledged the stakes in his stump speech for Coakley in Boston on Sunday, saying "a lot of these measures are going to rest on one vote in the U.S. Senate."

With that vote now in Republican hands, Democrats are experiencing growing concern about the future of their majorities in Congress in 2010.

"I think what's happened in the last few weeks here is a wakeup call for the Democrats both here in Massachusetts and around the country," Phil Johnston, a former chairman of the Massachusetts Democratic Party, told ABC's "Top Line" today.

Obama, who has been "both surprised and frustrated" with how hotly contested the Bay State special election became, recognizes the "tremendous amount of upset and anger" among voters about "where we are economically," White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said earlier today.

While the administration continues to deflect suggestions that the Massachusetts race may be a referendum on the Obama presidency, Republicans say the symbolism of Brown's victory is hard to deny.

Massachusetts, where registered Democrats outnumber Republicans by more than three to one, has long been a Democratic stronghold, sending two Democratic senators to Washington for each of the past 31 years.

The last time a Republican senator was elected in Massachusetts was November 1972, when Sen. Edward Brooke won the coveted seat.
    Republican Scott Brown Defeats Democrat Martha Coakley in Massachusetts Senate Race - ABC News

One of my friends is probably pissed right now. I told him over the weekend that Brown was going to win and he didn't believe me.

But the Dems have no one to blame but themselves for the fact that a former nude model just beat them. From Obama on down they all need to take this as a BIG wake-up call. Get your shit together and go on the offensive.

Oh no, Obama doesn't have his super important 60 vote majority anymore, now he won't be able to get anything passed!

Yeah, that was sarcasm. What a bunch of fucktards. Midterms will be fun, i hope they go down in flames.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Elite Member

Shit, from what I've read he's a male Palin. This is going to energize the teabaggers like nothing else.

Let's start a thread for those of us who are thinking of moving to Canada when the insane right wingers get too much power.

Ted must be rolling over in his grave right now.
    "Oh! I've been looking for a red suede pump!"
    - Marie (Carrie Fisher), When Harry Met Sally

Elite Member

Default re

Well, I am a Massachusetts dem and I can tell you...They (the state party) fucked up so badly beginning with the bullshit over picking Teddy's temporary replacement, and then throughout the process. They have alienated voters at every turn, on both sides. They put way more energy into the primary--then as soon it was over, nothing, nada, zip, for weeks. They took it for granted--not only because they assumed a democrat had the seat in the bag, but also because she is well known and generally well regarded.

The ironic part is that I actually like Martha Coakley a lot and think she'd probably be a good to great senator. And they fucked it up. It probably doesn't help that she tends to be an understated, no bullshit type.

As far as Scott Brown goes...I honestly don't know what he is. He left the word "Republican" off most of his literature and I think he presented himself as a moderate when it suited him and as far right when that suited him.

Mass has voted for quite a few moderate Republicans in recent years so this was never outside the realm of possibility--however, I honestly don't know if he's Sarah Palin, another Mitt Romney, or a William Weld. I just don't know.

On a side note, my husband met him several years ago in an informal setting. I'm not sure if he was in politics at that point...He only knew who Brown was after the fact because it was at his daughter's basketball game and she wound up going on American Idol. Anyway, my husband said he was a real asshole. Yuck.

ETA: My only consolation right now is the thought that maybe we can look forward to a sex scandal in a few years.
    Last edited by BBDSP; January 19th, 2010 at 10:36 PM.

Elite Member

I honestly don't know if he's Sarah Palin, another Mitt Romney, or a William Weld.
    I think he will most likely be a combination of "multiple choice" Romney and Sarah Palin. He'll talk about inclusion and vote with the conservatives.

My only consolation right now is the thought that maybe we can look forward to a sex scandal in a few years.
    I would not be surprised at all.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BBDSP View Post
    Well, I am a Massachusetts dem and I can tell you...They (the state party) fucked up so badly beginning with the bullshit over picking Teddy's temporary replacement, and then throughout the process. They have alienated voters at every turn, on both sides. They put way more energy into the primary--then as soon it was over, nothing, nada, zip, for weeks. They took it for granted--not only because they assumed a democrat had the seat in the bag, but also because she is well known and generally well regarded.

The ironic part is that I actually like Martha Coakley a lot and think she'd probably be a good to great senator. And they fucked it up. It probably doesn't help that she tends to be an understated, no bullshit type.

As far as Scott Brown goes...I honestly don't know what he is. He left the word "Republican" off most of his literature and I think he presented himself as a moderate when it suited him and as far right when that suited him.

Mass has voted for quite a few moderate Republicans in recent years so this was never outside the realm of possibility--however, I honestly don't know if he's Sarah Palin, another Mitt Romney, or a William Weld. I just don't know.

On a side note, my husband met him several years ago in an informal setting. I'm not sure if he was in politics at that point...He only knew who Brown was after the fact because it was at his daughter's basketball game and she wound up going on American Idol. Anyway, my husband said he was a real asshole. Yuck.

ETA: My only consolation right now is the thought that maybe we can look forward to a sex scandal in a few years.
    I have friends in Mass so have been interested in this. The few things I know about him: he's anti-gay, he's kind of dumb and he'll go which ever way the wind blows in order to win, which is why he's currently in bed with the teabaggers.
    By the way, can you imagine if Coakly had posed pretty much naked, even in her youth, and even being considered for election?

I see a Palin/Brown ticket for 2012. Should be fun watching those two airheads get the base excited.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Elite Member

Default re

I don't know if he's stupid...He's certainly not Palin-stupid.

He went to Tufts (a very good university) and law school--without family money or connections. He can't be really dumb. I imagine athletics played a role in his undergrad admission but not for law school. Compare that to Palin...

Okay, I have to say this...I really just hate his face. He has such a smug look and there is something mean about it as well. I have kind of a bad feeling about him.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

This guy is fucking hott, at least as far as his looks go. I am opposed to many of his positions but am glad to see he doesn't oppose Roe V Wade (from what I've read recently).
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    One of my friends is probably pissed right now. I told him over the weekend that Brown was going to win and he didn't believe me.

But the Dems have no one to blame but themselves for the fact that a former nude model just beat them. From Obama on down they all need to take this as a BIG wake-up call. Get your shit together and go on the offensive.

yep b/c it's not a vote for a rep it's more a vote against Obama. If this keeps up nothing will ever get done during Obamas presidency

Well, the Dems will either use it as a large wake-up call - or they'll keep on keepin' on. This guy is already on record as stating he'll vote against health care.

What the hell happened to "one nation, under God" anyway? We're more like one nation, under siege. Let's not work for the greater good of the nation, let's just make sure our party wins and makes the other guys look like assholes. Same game, different millenium I guess.

Elite Member

Yeah, what Brookie said. I wouldn't mind if I thought he was going to D.C. to do something constructive--but being obstructive seems to be his goal.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

You know, it is entirely possible to favor health care reform but reject this bill simply because it is shit. That's the way politics goes, no matter who is in charge: some blamed the dems for gridlock in blocking Bush's plans, now they will blame rebubs for blocking whatever Obama wants to do. That's what opposing sides have always done and will always do as long as we operate with a 2 party system. The fact is, some of Obama's magic pixie dust is starting to wear off. He couldn't get the Olympics, he failed to be helpful in getting any democrats in office in several recent important elections. Scott Brown got in because of indpendent voters and those same independents are what put Obama in office.
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GaPeach View Post
    yep b/c it's not a vote for a rep it's more a vote against Obama. If this keeps up nothing will ever get done during Obamas presidency
    It wasn't really a vote against just Obama. The Dems as a whole need to recognize as the party in power they are getting the blame for the shitty economy and they have to get organized and go on the offense. They took it for granted that Coakley would get Kennedy's seat, so they didn't fight for it until it was too late.

And Coakley had a massive lead in the polls at one point, and she pissed it away by refusing to 'go out and talk to strange people.' Not really the best way to run a campaign if you refuse to actually go out and campaign.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information