Thread: Harper's Magazine claims GITMO inmates were killed during questioning

Default Harper's Magazine claims GITMO inmates were killed during questioning

US magazine claims Guantánamo inmates were killed during questioning

Harper's investigation quotes camp staff who say suspects died in interrogation and their deaths were made to look like suicides

US government officials may have conspired to conceal evidence that three Guantánamo Bay inmates could have been murdered during interrogations, according to a six-month investigation by American journalists.

All three may have been suffocated during questioning on the same evening and their deaths passed off as suicides by hanging, the joint investigation for Harper's Magazine and NBC News has concluded.

The magazine also suggests the cover-up may explain why the US government is reluctant to allow the release of Shaker Aamer, the last former British resident held at Guantánamo, as he is said to have alleged that he was part-suffocated while being tortured on the same evening.

"The cover-up is amazing in its audacity, and it is continuing into the Obama administration," said Scott Horton, the contributing editor for Harper's who conducted the investigation.

When the three men – Salah Ahmed al-Salami, 37, a Yemeni, and two Saudis, Talal al-Zahrani, 22, and Mani Shaman al-Utaybi, 30 – died in June 2006, the camp's commander declared that they had committed suicide and that this had been "an act of asymmetrical warfare", rather than one of desperation.

According to an official inquiry by the US navy, whose report was heavily censored before release, each man was found in his cell, hanging from bedsheets, with their hands bound and rags stuffed down their throats.

However, Horton spoke to four camp guards who alleged that when the bodies were taken to the camp's medical clinic they had definitely not come from their cell block, which they were guarding, and appeared to have been transfered from a "black site", known as Camp No, within Guantánamo, operated by either the CIA or a Pentagon intelligence agency.

The men said that the following day, a senior officer assembled the guards and told them that the three men had committed suicide by stuffing rags down their throats, that the media would report that they had hanged themselves, and ordered that they must not seek to contradict those reports.

Harper's says that when the bodies of the three men were repatriated, pathologists who conducted postmortem examinations found that each man's larynx, hyoid bone and thyroid cartilage – which could have helped determine cause of death – had been removed and retained by US authorities.

The men's bodes did show signs of mistreatment, however, including bruising and needle marks. Al-Salami's jaw was broken and several teeth missing, injuries that an earlier US pathologist's report attributed to an attempted resuscitation.

Aamer's account of his mistreatment on the same evening as the three deaths appears in papers lodged with a district federal court in Washington. His lawyer, Zachary Katznelson, wrote in an affidavit that Aamer had been beaten for two and a half hours by seven naval military police after he refused to provide a retina scan and fingerprints.

"He reported to me that he was strapped to a chair, fully restrained at the head, arms and legs. The MPs inflicted so much pain, Mr Aamer said he thought he was going to die."

The MPs are also alleged to have pressed on pressure points and held Aamer's eyes open while shining a torch into them. "When he screamed, they cut off his airway, then put a mask on him so he could not cry out," Katznelson wrote.

Aamer, 41, whose British wife and four children live in London, has been held at Guantánamo for almost eight years. Next Friday marks the first anniversary of President Obama's order that the camp be closed within a year, but around 214 other men are also still detained there.

In the days that followed the deaths of the three men, US navy investigators seized every piece of paperwork possessed by other inmates. Harper's reports that when the US justice department subsequently went to court to defend the seizure of correspondence between inmates and their lawyers, the judge commented on one aspect of the department's case: that its "citations supporting the fact of the suicides" were all drawn from media accounts.

Harper's also reports that two of the three men had been due for release when they died, and that family members doubt they would have taken their own lives.

One of Horton's sources, a former staff sergeant in his mid-40s called Joseph Hickman, approached the department of justice via his lawyer in February last year to report his concerns, but Harper's says a subsequent investigation appears to have been shelved, raising concerns that the department had been compromised by its own role in the use of torture in the "war on terror".

"Under George W Bush, the CIA created an archipelago of secret detention centres that spanned the globe, and authorities at these sites deployed an array of justice department–sanctioned torture techniques – including waterboarding, which often entails inserting cloth into the subject's mouth – on prisoners they deemed to be involved in terrorism," Horton says.

"The experience of Sergeant Hickman and other Guantánamo guards compels us to ask whether the three prisoners who died on 9 June were being interrogated by the CIA, and whether their deaths resulted from the gruelling techniques the justice department had approved for the agency's use – or from other tortures lacking that sanction."

US magazine claims GuantĂ¡namo inmates were killed during questioning | World news | guardian.co.uk
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

*tries to look surprised, fails*
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Well they would never lie about such things, right

I'm sure the pro war mongers will use every trick in the book to minimize or excuse this, blaming it on "insurgent propaganda/lies," or "they" have done worse. Oh wait, three detainees were potentially brutally tortured and murdered?

There goes that excuse.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Not surprised one bit.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Default Will the Justice Department Investigate A Possible Cover Up of GITMO Deaths

On June 9, 2006, “three prisoners at Guantánamo [Bay] died suddenly and violently.” The commander of Guantánamo at the time, Rear Admiral Harry Harris, immediately declared that the deaths were “suicides,” adding that he believed that the suicides were “not an act of desperation, but an act of asymmetrical warfare waged against us.”

The conclusion that the deaths were suicides was largely uncritically accepted by the press at the time, and the matter was considered closed. Then, late last year, an investigation by Seton Hall law school faculty and students found “serious and unresolved contradictions” in the military’s report on the incidents, and even declared that it was an “obvious cover-up.”

Now, following the Seton Hall investigation, Sergeant Joe Hickman and other soldiers stationed at Guantánamo have informed Harper’s Magazine’s Scott Horton that they suspect the three prisoners did not commit suicide but rather were killed by interrogators. Horton reports that Hickman — a stalwart solder who enlisted after being inspired by Ronald Reagan (whom he called “the greatest president we’ve ever had“) — was told by Navy guards and clinic staff that the men had been died because they had rags stuffed down their throats:
    Hickman headed to the clinic, which appeared to be the center of activity, to learn the reason for the commotion. He asked a distraught medical corpsman what had happened. She said three dead prisoners had been delivered to the clinic. Hickman recalled her saying that they had died because they had rags stuffed down their throats, and that one of them was severely bruised. Davila told me he spoke to Navy guards who said the men had died as the result of having rags stuffed down their throats.
    Following the election of Barack Obama, Hickman decided he needed to speak out. “I thought that with a new administration and new ideas I could actually come forward, ” he told Horton. “It was haunting me.” Hickman teamed up with Seton Hall law professor Mark Denbeaux and met with officials in the Justice Department and Capitol Hill throughout 2009, relaying their knowledge. Then, on Nov. 2, 2009, a Justice Department official called Denbeaux and informed him that the investigation was closed. When Denbeaux inquired as to why, the official simply responded that Hickman’s conclusions “appeared” to be unsubstantiated, without offering further explanation.

Horton appeared on Countdown With Keith Olbermann last night and told the host that the Justice Department is “not behaving like a law enforcement agency, finding facts of criminal activity. The Department of Justice appears to be acting like a criminal defense law firm that realizes it’s closely connected to people who are involved with some serious heavy-lifting crimes and it wants to cover them up. That’s not what we expect of our Justice Department.”

Think Progress » Will The Justice Department Investigate A Possible Cover-Up Of Homicides At GuantĂ¡namo Bay?
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Thread Information