Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Civil war begins in Iraq

Arrow Civil war begins in Iraq

Feb. 22, 2006. 10:09 AM
    ZIAD KHALAF
    ASSOCIATED PRESS

SAMARRA, Iraq - A large explosion heavily damaged the golden dome of one of Iraq’s most revered Shiite shrines Wednesday, spawning mass protests and sparking reprisal attacks against Sunni mosques. It was the third major attack against Shiite targets this week and threatened to stoke sectarian tensions.

Shiite leaders called for calm, but militants attacked Sunni mosques and a gunfight broke out between Shiite militiamen and guards at the offices of a Sunni political party in Basra. About 500 soldiers were sent to Sunni neighbourhoods in Baghdad to prevent clashes between Shiites and Sunnis, army Capt. Jassim al-Wahash said.

A leading Sunni politician, Tariq al-Hashimi, said 29 Sunni mosques had been attacked nationwide. He urged clerics and politicians to calm the situation “before it spins out of control.”

A government statement said several suspects had been detained in the early-morning attack on the Askariya shrine in this city about 100 kilometres north of Baghdad, and some of them “might have had been involved in carrying out the crime.”

No group claimed responsibility, but suspicion fell on Sunni extremist groups like “Al Qaeda in Iraq,” led by Abu Musab al-Zarqawi.

The Interior Ministry said four men, one wearing a military uniform and three in black, entered the mosque early Wednesday and detonated two bombs, one of which collapsed the dome into a crumbly mess and damaged part of the northern wall of the shrine.

Police said late Wednesday afternoon no casualties had been found. Earlier they believed people may have been buried under the debris.

The shrine contains the tombs of two revered Shiite imams, both descendants of the Prophet Muhammad.

U.S. and Iraqi forces in Samarra surrounded the shrine and searched nearby houses. Five police officers responsible for protecting the mosque were taken into custody, said Col. Bashar Abdullah, chief of police commandos.

Demonstrators then gathered near the shrine, waving Iraqi flags, Shiite religious banners and copies of the Muslim holy book, the Qur’an.

“This criminal act aims at igniting civil strife,” said Mahmoud al-Samarie, a 28-year-old builder. “We demand an investigation so that the criminals who did this be punished. If the government fails to do so, then we will take up arms and chase the people behind this attack.”

Religious leaders at other mosques and shrines throughout the city denounced the attack in statements read over loudspeakers.

In Baghdad, National Security Adviser Mouwafak al-Rubaie blamed religious zealots such as the al-Qaida terror network, telling Al-Arabiya television that the attack was an attempt “to pull Iraq toward civil war.”

The country’s most revered Shiite cleric, Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani, sent instructions to his followers forbidding attacks on Sunni mosques. He called for seven days of mourning.

The Sunni Endowment, a government organization that cares for Sunni mosques and shrines, condemned the blast and said it was sending a delegation to Samarra to investigate.

Shiite leaders in surrounding countries, including Iran’s most influential cleric body, the Qom Shiite Seminary, were also quick to respond.

“Ayatollahs in Qom have condemned the explosion and announced one day of public mourning,” Hashem Hosseini, head of the seminary, told the state-run television.

Large protests erupted in Shiite parts of Baghdad and in cities throughout the Shiite heartland to the south.

Residents of Najaf closed their shops and gathered in the city’s 1920 Revolution Square for a demonstration. In Baghdad’s Sadr City, thousands of Shiites, some brandishing Kalashnikov rifles, marched through the streets shouting anti-American slogans.

All mosques in the Shiite city of Diwaniyah, 130 kilometres south of Baghdad, began broadcasting “Allahu akbar (God is Great)” from loudspeakers and urged people to turn out in the streets. All markets, shops and stores closed.

About 3,000 people marched the Shiite city of Kut, chanting anti-American and anti-Israeli slogans and burning U.S. and Israeli flags. Crowds hurled stones at two Sunni mosques in Basra.

In the capital, the biggest attack against a Sunni mosque occurred in the Baladiyat area of eastern Baghdad, where about 40 Shiite militiamen sprayed the building with automatic fire. One street vendor was killed in another mosque attack.

President Jalal Talabani condemned the attack and called for restraint, saying it was designed to sabotage talks on a government of national unity following the Dec. 15 parliamentary election.

Prime Minister Ibrahim al-Jaafari urged all Iraqis to condemn the attack and urged both Muslim and Christian leaders abroad “to redouble their efforts to help the Iraqi government stop these saboteurs.”

The shrine attack followed a devastating car bomb late Tuesday in a Shiite corner of Baghdad, killing 22 people, according to police. The day before, 12 died in a suicide attack on a bus in the capital’s heavily Shiite district of Kazimiyah.

In other violence Wednesday, a judge was seriously injured and four of his bodyguards killed when unidentified gunmen fired at his car on the outskirts of Muqdadiyah, a town about 100 km north of Baghdad.

In Baqouba, about 55 km northeast of Baghdad, two police officers were killed in a drive-by shooting Wednesday morning.

A roadside bomb exploded near a primary school in a mostly Shiite area near Kut, killing two boys and injuring four others
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Default Re: Civil war begins in Iraq

Has it really ever ended? More like the constant state of civil war between(generally) the north, middle and south has only been temporarily suppressed by external control or internal totalitarian oppression.

Well sectarian violence has always been an undercurrent, but neither side has gone so far as to utterly destroy ancient and revered monuments. This was a BIG smack to the face, and it could irreversably tear the nation apart.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

good one Bush
    well here we go; modern civilization began in the fertile crescent and the beginning of the end will start there too, it'll spread I believe and we're all going straight to hell and although they might not be the only reason for it; I think that the Bushes and their administrations lit the match on the huge mountain of firewood thats about to explode.

The mayans did believe that civilization ends in 2012, not that far fetched I guess.

Nahh... Nostradamus will have China, the Uk, the US and Russia all fighting over middle east oil apparently..

The lion, the eagle, the bear and the dragon...

SVZ

isn't canada the US's largest supplier of oil?

Yeah, but we don't account for all of it.

Besides, by the time this prediction rolls around Harper will have sold Canada lock stock and barrel to the US so it'll be THEIR oil

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok
    The lion, the eagle, the bear and the dragon...

....... and the beaver
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Nah, we don't figure into it.

A*O

Well you've taken over this board by stealth - whatever next?
    Dame Edna Everage

Well next I implement the gay agenda, and catch a disco nap between taking over the world and decorating my bedroom.

Silver Member

Thank you Bush....It looks like Iraq was safer under Saddam than under Bush and the U.S. occupation. Ironically, a dictator like Saddam was able to put his foot down and hold the sectarian rife.In a way, he held Iraq together.

Yes, a civil war WILL happen,I am guaranteed. It is on thin ice right now.

Yup, considering Iraq isn't a real country anyway.. just a stitched quilt of territories held together by the brutal hand of a nutcase..

A*O

I'd be prepared to bet that if you asked the average Iraqi on the street which 'regime' they preferred, most would say Bring Back Saddam. Yes, he was a brutal dictator (kinda goes with the job description) who crushed any dissent or opposition. But under his rule for the vast majority of ordinary citizens Iraq was stable, secular, prosperous and secure. The new 'liberated' Iraq is a total shambles with no law and order, the Sunnis and Shias are at each other's throats and civil war is inevitable, it's not safe to walk the streets and the country is occupied by a foreign army which appears to be totally ineffectual.
    Dame Edna Everage

^^ the population is at fault, in the end. They're the ones killing each other over God.

They need to grow the fuck up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information