Thread: Katie Couric wins DuPont Award for Sarah Palin interviews

Default Katie Couric wins DuPont Award for Sarah Palin interviews

Katie Couric Wins duPont Award for Sarah Palin Interviews
    By Chris Ariens

CBS Evening News anchor and managing editor Katie Couric has won the Alfred I. duPont Award for political reporting for her 2008 interviews with GOP VP nominee Sarah Palin, Columbia University's Graduate School of Journalism announced this morning.

PBS's Gwen Ifill hosts the awards ceremony Thursday, Jan. 21, at Columbia University. NBC's Richard Engel -- a 2008 duPont winner -- will present the duPont batons to the 14 winners.

Couric, this week reporting from Haiti, hosted last year's ceremony. She's already been awarded the Walter Cronkite Award for Excellence from USC for the Palin interviews.

Sent: Thursday, January 14, 2010 11:15 AM
    To: @CND News
    Cc: Moonves, Leslie
    Subject: Message from Sean McManus

Today, the Alfred I. duPont-Columbia University journalism award-winners were announced. I am proud to announce that CBS News has been recognized with two of the prestigious awards and it is with pleasure that I congratulate you all - the entire News Division! No other network news division won even one award this year and it is the first time in 5 years that any network news division has won 2.
    Each of the two awards should make us uniquely proud. One of the coveted silver batons was earned for Katie Couric's series of pivotal interviews with Republican vice presidential hopeful Sarah Palin which was broadcast on the CBS EVENING NEWS. Katie's interviews had a profound impact on the presidential campaign. A testament to Katie's excellence, the interviews have gone on to become an iconic moment in television journalism.

For this award, please join me in congratulating Katie, executive producer Rick Kaplan, producers Matt Lombardi and Jennifer Yuille, editors Joe Frandino and Mike Cesario, coordinating producer Lori Beecher and associate producer Brian Goldsmith.

The other award is for the division-wide collaboration "CBS REPORTS: Children of the Recession," which began in Spring 2009. Presented across all CBS News platforms, the series examined the many effects of the economic crisis on young people. Because of the entire division's cooperation, we told an important yet underreported story and reinvigorated the venerated CBS REPORTS brand with an updated format worthy of the storied original.

For this award, rather than congratulate individuals, I congratulate the entire News Division, including CBS News Radio and CBSNews.com. This was a brilliant execution of an experimental idea. I also want to acknowledge our print partner, USA Today, who helped us reach new audiences with this important project and who is once again collaborating with us on CBS REPORTS: Where America Stands.
    These two batons bring the cumulative total of duPont awards for CBS News or its reporters to 48, the most won by any network.

Congratulations to you all.
    Katie Couric Wins duPont Award for Sarah Palin Interviews - mediabistro.com: TVNewser

excellence? she asked basic softball questions that the retard still couldn't answer.

How is that excellent? She didn't even grill her!

Fuck standards have slipped
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Isn't the DuPont Award for having the most shiny, plastic hair??

Good for Katie. This should rub more salt in the wounds for McCain & Palin.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    excellence? she asked basic softball questions that the retard still couldn't answer.

How is that excellent? She didn't even grill her!

Fuck standards have slipped
    I agree with you.

What was newsworthy about those interviews is that Palin couldn't answer softball questions.

Katie's interviews had a profound impact on the presidential campaign.
    This is what was important. Katie knew how to play Sarah so that she'd keep answering the questions, thereby showing how ignorant she was. If she'd been too aggressive or passive, the questions would not have been asked or answered. These interviews changed the course of the election.

Isn't one of the goals of a takedown to do it with stealth and leave your victim confused and wondering what happened? Couric's interview with Palin was a landmark point in the campaign in terms of revealing the empress had no clothes. If it had been a highly combative interview, Palin would have possibly garnered sympathy from people, instead of a realization that she wasn't fit for the position.

Elite Member

A trained monkey could conduct an interview with Palin that makes Palin look dumb and ill-informed. Case in point: Glenn Beck just did it.

Quote Originally Posted by visitor42 View Post
    A trained monkey could conduct an interview with Palin that makes Palin look dumb and ill-informed. Case in point: Glenn Beck just did it.
    Glenn Beck did it well after the election, though, which is very telling. When she was running for President, Fox and Beck were there interpreting her comments as if she were the Oracle of Delphi, kind of like the presidential staff regarded Chance the gardener in "Being There". Now that she is potential competition for Beck, he is finally motivated to go after her.

Back to Couric -- while a trained monkey could probably make Palin seem uninformed, the key is to do it in a way that doesn't allow Palin or her followers to accuse the interviewer of using "gotcha" questions.

ANY question is a gotcha question for Palin.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Glenn Beck did it well after the election, though, which is very telling. When she was running for President, Fox and Beck were there interpreting her comments as if she were the Oracle of Delphi, kind of like the presidential staff regarded Chance the gardener in "Being There". Now that she is potential competition for Beck, he is finally motivated to go after her.

Back to Couric -- while a trained monkey could probably make Palin seem uninformed, the key is to do it in a way that doesn't allow Palin or her followers to accuse the interviewer of using "gotcha" questions.
    But Palin and her allies did accuse Couric and Charlie Gibson of asking gotcha questions.

Thread Information