Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sarah Palin: not just an ignoramus but mentally unstable as well?

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default Sarah Palin: not just an ignoramus but mentally unstable as well?

The gossipy new campaign book that has the political world buzzing portrays Sarah Palin not just as an ignoramus who believed Saddam Hussein was behind 9/11 but also as possibly mentally unstable.

"Game Change," the 2008 deconstruction, says the stress of vaulting onto the national stage caused Palin to have wild mood swings.

"One minute, Palin would be her perky self; the next she would fall into a strange blue funk," the authors write.

The morning of her ill-fated CBS interview with Katie Couric, Palin - "her eyes glassy and dead" - was unresponsive to attempts to prep her as she was being made up.

"As they were about to set off to meet Couric, Palin announced 'I hate this makeup' - smearing it off her face, messing up her hair, complaining she looked fat," the book relates.

Palin went on to give answers to Couric that were so incoherent the interview permanently damaged her.

Palin went into a tailspin. She stopped eating or sleeping, and drank only a half a can of diet soda a day, recounts the book written by John Heilemann of New York magazine and Mark Halperin of Time magazine.

"When her aides tried to quiz her she would routinely shut down - chin on her chest, arms folded, eyes cast to the floor, speechless and motionless, lost in what those around her described as a kind of catatonic stupor," the book says.

"If I had known everything I know now, I would not have done this," the book quotes Palin as saying.

She talked often about her baby, Trig, who spent most of the time in Alaska, and some John McCain aides thought she might be suffering postpartum depression.

When the campaign took her to Arizona to prep for the veep debate, McCain's staff made sure a doctor friend was on hand "to observe her," the book says.

Palin's spokeswoman Meg Stapleton has dismissed the book's allegations as inaccurate gossip from people who weren't there.

"The governor's descriptions of these events are found in her book, 'Going Rogue.' Her descriptions are accurate," Stapleton said in a statement Sunday night to 60 Minutes." "She was there. These reporters were not."

"Game Change," which features priceless images like Rudy Giuliani, John McCain and Mike Huckabee in a line at a pre-debate urinal, making fun of the absent Mitt Romney - also up contains many other revelations:

The book says aides feared Bill Clinton was jeopardizing his wife's run by having an affair in 2006. The book says a trio of Hillary's top aides formed "a war room within a war room" to counter gossip about her husband and were able to discount all philandering rumors but one.

Read more: Book 'Game Change' portrays Sarah Palin as unstable ignoramus who believed Saddam was behind 9/11
    I'll say she's both an ignoramus and mentally unstable...and a mean, vindictive cow.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

She's "off", for sure. I think she's hitting her stride now, though, because she's refusing to interact with people who might contradict her. When she can just spout her hate-filled foolishness to an adoring crowd, she does fine.

She lost a ton of weight on that campaign, and has kept it off. They claimed she was living on Diet Dr. Pepper, Red Bull, and some kind of diet bars. Apparently, she doesn't eat at all and has terrible breath. So I've heard.

Crazy as a betsy bug.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Elite Member

She is truly awful. I am not happy with everything Obama has done, or not done, but I am thankful every day that this bitch is not next in line to the WH.

With that said...I think the whole experience as VP really put her through the mill. I think both sides--McCain's people and SP and her family--had no idea what they were getting with each other. Which is really just another HUGE strike against McCain's judgment.

Sarah Palin: not just an ignoramus but mentally unstable as well?
    Well, duh!
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

I may have to pick Game Change up. This book just sounds better and better.

McCain strategist: Palin thought candidacy was mapped by God

Associated Press
    Monday, January 11, 2010

Sarah Palin believed that Sen. John McCain chose her to be his running mate in the 2008 presidential race because of "God's plan," according to a top political strategist in the Arizona Republican's campaign.

In an interview with the CBS news magazine "60 Minutes," Steve Schmidt described Palin as "very calm -- nonplussed" after McCain met with her at his Arizona ranch just before putting her on the Republican ticket. McCain had planned to name Sen. Joseph I. Lieberman (I-Conn.) as his choice until word leaked, sparking what Schmidt called political blowback over selecting the 2000 Democratic vice presidential nominee.

Schmidt, McCain's chief campaign adviser, said he asked Palin about her serenity in the face of becoming "one of the most famous people in the world." He quoted her as saying, "It's God's plan." Palin has not ruled out a run for the presidency.

Schmidt was interviewed by "60 Minutes" for a segment about a new book about the 2008 presidential race, "Game Change," by John Heilemann of New York magazine and Mark Halperin of Time.

Schmidt credited Palin with being a quick study and for giving a great speech at the Republican National Convention in St. Paul, Minn., but he said it soon became clear that she often was not accurate in her remarks.

"There were numerous instances that she said things that were -- that were not accurate that, ultimately, the campaign had to deal with. And that opened the door to criticism that she was being untruthful and inaccurate. And I think that that is something that continues to this day," he said.

Palin's spokeswoman, Meg Stapleton, has disputed the version of events presented in the book.

"The governor's descriptions of these events are found in her book, 'Going Rogue.' Her descriptions are accurate," Stapleton said in a statement to "60 Minutes." She added, "She was there. These reporters were not."

Schmidt conceded that had Palin not been on the ticket, "our margin of defeat would've been greater than it would've been otherwise."

washingtonpost.com - nation, world, technology and Washington area news and headlines
    "But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

"Trump is, in my opinion, the first woman president of the United States." -- Roseanne Barr

First, God made Dubya president, and then he thrust Palin on the world stage. God really hates us.

Schmidt, McCain's chief campaign adviser, said he asked Palin about her serenity in the face of becoming "one of the most famous people in the world." He quoted her as saying, "It's God's plan."
    Well, it must have been SOMEONE'S plan. It doesn't sound like it was McCain's.

Well, if it was God's plan then her losing should show that God gave her the big smack down.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    Well, if it was God's plan then her losing should show that God gave her the big smack down.
    Palin will just see that as God testing her to see if she's worthy to be saved in the end of days.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Palin will just see that as God testing her to see if she's worthy to be saved in the end of days.
    You're right. It's the 'cross she must bear'.

--Sinclair Lewis

McCain was an ass on the Today Show this morning when Matt asked him about the stories from this book. He refused to answer any questions and just kept saying he is proud of the campaign they ran and is sure Palin will be around for a long time.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    McCain was an ass on the Today Show this morning when Matt asked him about the stories from this book. He refused to answer any questions and just kept saying he is proud of the campaign they ran and is sure Palin will be around for a long time.
    McCain knows he damaged his political credibility by picking Palin and now he's tied to her forever. He's trying to make the best of it.

Not sure if he can make the best of it but its smart of him to keep his trap shut
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information