Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sen. Harry Reid "apologizes" for past racial remarks on Obama

Default Sen. Harry Reid "apologizes" for past racial remarks on Obama

Sen. Reid apologizes for past racial remarks on Obama - latimes.com

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid apologized Saturday for saying in 2008 that Barack Obama should seek -- and could win -- the White House because Obama was a "light-skinned" African American "with no Negro dialect, unless he wanted to have one."

Obama quickly accepted the apology, saying, "As far as I am concerned, the book is closed."

Reid, a Nevada Democrat, made the comments in private during the long 2008 campaign, according to a new book about the election that elevated Obama from a first-term senator from Illinois to the first black president.

After excerpts from the book appeared on the website of the Atlantic, Reid released a statement expressing regret for "using such a poor choice of words."

"I sincerely apologize for offending any and all Americans, especially African Americans," he said, "for my improper comments."

Obama issued a statement saying that he had spoken with Reid, who faces a difficult reelection amid liberal frustration with his leadership in the Senate and conservative ire toward his agenda. For Reid, trailing in polls, the comments can't help, even as Obama relies heavily on him to try to pass a healthcare overhaul.

Reid's office said he had also phoned to apologize to civil rights leaders, including the Rev. Al Sharpton, NAACP Chairman Julian Bond and Leadership Conference on Civil Rights chief Wade Henderson; as well as veteran political operative Donna Brazile. Reid also spoke with Reps. Barbara Lee (D-Oakland) and James E. Clyburn (D-S.C.), both African Americans.

The revelations -- included in "Game Change," by Time magazine's Mark Halperin and New York magazine's John Heilemann -- are based on interviews with more than 200 people involved in the campaign, including Obama. The writers' sources were granted anonymity, and the writers offer no documentation for their accounts. The book is to be released Monday; the Associated Press obtained a copy Saturday.

"I was a proud and enthusiastic supporter of Barack Obama during the campaign and have worked as hard as I can to advance President Obama's legislative agenda," Reid said in his apology.

Reid was neutral during the bitter Democratic primary that became a marathon contest between Obama and then-Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, whom Obama picked as his secretary of State after the election.

The book also says Reid urged Obama to run, perceiving the freshman senator's impatience.

"You're not going to go anyplace here," Reid told Obama of the Senate. "I know that you don't like it, doing what you're doing."

According to the book, aides to Republican nominee Sen. John McCain of Arizona described the difficulties they faced with their vice presidential pick, then-Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin. Steve Schmidt, a senior advisor to McCain, is quoted telling Palin's foreign policy tutors: "You guys have a lot of work to do. She doesn't know anything."

While flying home to Alaska to see her son off to war, she reportedly told her team: "I wish I'd paid more attention to this stuff."

At another point, she is quoted as saying that she would not have accepted the vice presidential nomination if she had understood the burden.

The former governor's spokeswoman, Meghan Stapleton, disputed the version presented in the reporters' book.

"The governor's descriptions of these events are found in her book, 'Going Rogue.' Her descriptions are accurate," Stapleton said in a statement to "60 Minutes," which is featuring the book in its broadcast tonight.

"She was there. These reporters were not."

The authors also quote Obama's initial reaction to McCain's selection of the little-known governor: "Wow. Well, I guess she's change."

Obama's running mate, Joe Biden, was direct. "Who's Sarah Palin?" the book quotes the then-senator from Delaware as asking as they left the nominating convention in Denver.

Reid needs the White House's help if he wants to keep his seat. The Obama administration has dispatched officials on dozens of trips to buoy his bid, and the president has raised money for his campaign.

Recognizing the threat, Reid's apologies also played to his home state: "Moreover, throughout my career, from efforts to integrate the Las Vegas strip and the gaming industry to opposing radical judges and promoting diversity in the Senate, I have worked hard to advance issues."

Even before Reid's remarks in the book were reported, a new survey released Saturday by the Las Vegas Review-Journal showed him continuing to earn poor polling numbers. In the poll, by Mason-Dixon Polling & Research, Reid trailed former state Republican Party Chairwoman Sue Lowden by 10 percentage points, 50% to 40%, and lagged behind two other opponents.

More than half of Nevadans had an unfavorable opinion of Reid. Just 33% of respondents held a favorable opinion.

What an ass.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

He said this shit in 2008? Took ya long enough to say something, dimwit.

"light-skinned" African American "with no Negro dialect, unless he wanted to have one."
    Wth is that supposed to mean?
    Rock the fuck on!

I never heard this about Reid before. Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by heart_leigh View Post
    Wth is that supposed to mean?
    Basically, he was saying Obama doesn't speak in ebonics, because just about every black person...I mean 'Negro' speaks in ebonics.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    I never heard this about Reid before. Interesting.

Basically, he was saying Obama doesn't speak in ebonics, because just about every black person...I mean 'Negro' speaks in ebonics.
    Or can burst into "Old Man River" at a moments notice.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Or can burst into "Old Man River" at a moments notice.
    Well, I guess they only do that on Massuh Harry's plantation. I was never Reid's biggest fan, now I like him even less.

Damn Negroes.

It almost sounds like Harry said that Obama CAN do Negro if he wants to but because he's light skinned it's okay either way.

I thought it was bad enough that the 2010 Census is actually going to have the word 'Negro' on it as an option, and then we find out about Reid.

And I think Massuh Harry was saying that Obama has enough Negro blood in him to switch to ebonics if he wants to. I'm shocked he didn't call him 'boy.'

Well, Obama did say at the White House Correspondents Dinner that RNC Chairman Michael Steele was "in da heezy", so he actually does know some of the "dialect". So he obviously knows how to "get down".

And Obama does listen to Jay-Z. So, maybe Massuh Reid was right.

It was interesting to see interviews on the Today Show this morning with Gwen Iffel and Harold Ford. They both pointed out the reality of what Reid said and said they do not find it to be racist. Reid is correct. Being light skinned and not speaking in a way that some would perceive to be "negro" allowed us to have our first balck as President. he had been darker skinned or sounded like a sterotype of a black rapper he would have never been elected. Gwen was eloquent when she said people will vote for those they feel are most like them.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

What did Biden mean when he referred to Obama as a clean man? lol
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

I personally don't find the word 'negro' to be an appropriate word, ESPECIALLY from those in politics. When's the last time anyone's referred to another as a 'negro?'

The bottom line is, if a republican or rush limp nutsack had referred to a black person as a negro in this way, would those thinking it's not racist in reid's case feel the same way?

I don't think so.

Gold Member

I don't like the word negro and would refuse to tick any box that had it as an option.
    I hate filling in such forms anyway as what am I supposed to say?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information