Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: McCain campaign advisor to trash Sarah Palin on '60 Minutes' tomorrow

Default McCain campaign advisor to trash Sarah Palin on '60 Minutes' tomorrow

OK, ladies and gents. Sunday Night – 60 Minutes. Former McCain campaign advisor and Sarah Palin’s favorite Going Rogue whipping boy Steve Schmidt will be interviewed. Along with him will be the two authors of the forthcoming book Game Changer, about the 2008 presidential campaign. Hundreds of Democratic and Republican insiders were interviewed for what promises to be a fascinating read.

In the McCain-Palin camp, Schmidt says that when he was told by a campaign staffer prepping Palin for her debate with Biden that the vice presidential candidate was doing very poorly in her preparation, it was a crisis moment. “He told us the debate was going to be a debacle of historic and epic proportions…she was not focused…not engaged,” he tells Cooper. “She was not really participating in the prep.”

Schmidt confronted Palin with this and, he says, “She said, ‘You know, I think that’s right.’”

Well, there’s nothing like being brutally honest about the fact that you are just not “engaged” with this whole VP debate thing. Of course, that tantalizing “debacle of historic and epic proportions” never really happened much to our dismay.

It’s one of those times when you hope that those theoretical physicists are right, and that there’s a parallel universe out there where it actually did go down that way, just so someone somewhere in some dimension could have seen it. There’s a bunch of people on the other side of some wormhole still getting a good chuckle over that one.

And then there’s this:

If that wasn’t enough for deep concern, Palin had a reflexive tendency to refer to Biden as “O’Biden,” says Schmidt, something that had to be fixed before the debate. He says others in the campaign came up with a solution. “It was multiple people – and I wasn’t one of them – who all said at the same time, ‘Just say, Can I call you Joe,’ which she did.”

Schmidt says he took over the prepping, simplified it, and says she “more than held her own” in the debate. But not without one “O’Biden” slip on national television.

It’s a good thing that I was not the one debating her, because frankly the urge to call her “McPalin” would have been overwhelming.

And “simplification” aside, when you come out and tell the moderator of the debate that you’re not going to answer the question put to you, but rather you’re going to talk about what you want to talk about… it helps. Up front acknowledgment that you’re just plain ignoring the rules of the game sort of takes away from the suspense.

CBS asked Palin if she’d like to be interviewed for the story. She declined stating that she had already addressed many of the allegations in her own book, Going Rogue.

Ah yes, the book. If you go to the bookstore to try to compare the versions of the VP debate prep from Game Changer to the one in Going Rogue, and for some reason you can’t find the latter? Don’t forget to look in the fiction section.
    The Mudflats » Say it Ain’t So, O’Biden!

He also calls her out on lying:

“There were numerous instances where she said things that were not accurate that ultimately the campaign had to deal with, and that opened the door to criticism that she was being untruthful and inaccurate. And I think that that is something that continues to this day.”

After an ethics investigation of Palin when the Alaska Legislature issued a report, Schmidt says she mischaracterized that report.

“She went out and said, ‘This report completely exonorates me’ and in fact, it didn’t. You know…it’s the equivalent of saying ‘down is up, and up is down.’ It was provably, demonstrably untrue.”

And Schmidt said it just kept happening.
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4VVftJ8320[/YOUTUBE]

The Mudflats » Back Through the Looking Glass with Sarah Palin

Oh good! A reason to watch!

This might be worthwhile!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Depends on which playoff game I have to miss. This does sound good though.

I've been counting down the minutes to Schmidt's interview since I heard about it yesterday. Bring it on.

Enough is enough of the The Wasillabilly (aka O'Sarah bin Payme). She's just plain evil and I am so tired of stupid. What in the hell is so charming about stupid?
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Stupid is as stupid does.

Shall we plan a group meet online tomorrow and do a 'live chat' during the interview? Kind of like we did during the debates?

Could be fun......

Discuss!

I seem to recall that the debates involved drinking games and lots and lots of vodka.

I have a sinking suspicion that we've already seen all the juicy stuff...the teaser is probably about as far afield as he'll get. Otherwise he may have to take some responsibility for shoving that yammering infantile shithead down our throats last year (oh, and Palin too).
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMama View Post
    I seem to recall that the debates involved drinking games and lots and lots of vodka.
    You know it sister. Fun was had by all. And maybe some vomiting, but it was amongst friends.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMama View Post
    I have a sinking suspicion that we've already seen all the juicy stuff...the teaser is probably about as far afield as he'll get. Otherwise he may have to take some responsibility for shoving that yammering infantile shithead down our throats last year (oh, and Palin too).
    I think you may be right. He'll have to get back at her for calling him a fat slob, though. Perhaps by repeating how she doesn't consume anything but diet protein bars, Diet Dr. Pepper, and Red Bull?

Quote Originally Posted by LynnieD View Post
    Shall we plan a group meet online tomorrow and do a 'live chat' during the interview? Kind of like we did during the debates?

Could be fun......

Discuss!
    Works for me. Vodka, two ice cubes, slice of lime. Thanksl

I shudder to think how close she got to the top job.

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    Depends on which playoff game I have to miss. This does sound good though.
    I think both playoff games are in the afternoon, so you should be set, Brookie.

Quote Originally Posted by LynnieD View Post

Could be fun......

Discuss!
    Sounds like a plan, Lynnie. Everyone agree to meet in this thread for the laughs.

I'm there. Toss-up between my mango vodka or vanilla - or maybe a little of both....... hmmm.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information