Thread: Barack Obama doesn't think he compromised anything on the health bill. Delusional.

Lightbulb Barack Obama doesn't think he compromised anything on the health bill. Delusional.

Washington Post:

President Obama rejected in an interview Tuesday the criticism that he has compromised too much in order to secure health-care reform legislation, challenging his critics to identify any "gap" between what he campaigned on last year and what Congress is on the verge of passing.

"Nowhere has there been a bigger gap between the perceptions of compromise and the realities of compromise than in the health-care bill," Obama said in an Oval Office interview with The Washington Post about his legislative record this year. "Every single criteria for reform I put forward is in this bill."

If he's trying to cover his behind, and make the best of it, that's one thing. But if he truly believes that he didn't compromise on some of his core promises, then this is very troubling, as it indicates he'll do it again without a moment's hesitation, because he doesnt recognize caving as caving.

To beat a dead horse one more time, this is why Joe and I keep arguing that what happened during health care reform is indicative of a larger problem, and has implications far behind this debate.

AMERICAblog News: Obama doesn't think he compromised one bit on health care bill
    in-fucking-sane
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Oh, just in case President Fierce doesn't remember...

“I didn’t campaign on the public option,” President Obama told the Washington Post. But he touted the public option on his campaign website and spoke frequently in support of it during the first year of his presidency, citing its essential value in holding the private insurance industry accountable and providing competition:

– In the 2008 Obama-Biden health care plan on the campaign’s website, candidate Obama promised that “any American will have the opportunity to enroll in [a] new public plan.” [2008]

– During a speech at the American Medical Association, President Obama told thousands of doctors that one of the plans included in the new health insurance exchanges “needs to be a public option that will give people a broader range of choices and inject competition into the health care market.” [6/15/09]

– While speaking to the nation during his weekly address, the President said that “any plan” he signs “must include … a public option.” [7/17/09]

– During a conference call with progressive bloggers, the President said he continues “to believe that a robust public option would be the best way to go.” [7/20/09]

– Obama told NBC’s David Gregory that a public option “should be a part of this [health care bill],” while rebuking claims that the plan was “dead.” [9/20/09]
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

^ Exactly. Where the FUCK is the public option?

*although if any nation could totally screw up a public option and make it a disaster, it is the United States. We excel at taking ideas of social reform and mutating them into something horrendous, just look at what we did with 'public housing.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Elite Member

The public option is a good thing, but it isn't the be all and end all. This bill (senate or house version) will have most of what Obama wanted.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acc6Wn_BWlk[/youtube]
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

From the Fact Check Desk: President Obama Says "I Didn't Campaign on the Public Option"

I didn't campaign on the public option," President Obama told the Washington Post yesterday.

Is that true?

It depends on what the meaning of "campaign" is.

Was it a major emphasis of his campaign? Not after he won the Democratic presidential nomination.

But did he mention it? Was it part of his "campaign"? Yes.

He told Planned Parenthood activists in 2007 that he wanted to set up "a public plan that all persons and all women can access if they don't have health insurance. It will be a plan that will provide all essential services, including reproductive services."

The Obama for America campaign website says the "Obama plan" for health care "will: (1) establish a new public insurance program available to Americans who neither qualify for Medicaid or SCHIP nor have access to insurance through their employers, as well as to small businesses that want to offer insurance to their employees."

His campaign literature said "Obama will make available a new national health plan that will allow individuals without access to affordable insurance coverage, including the self-employed and small businesses, to buy affordable health coverage that is similar to the plan available to members of Congress."

In a 2008 Washington Post questionnaire then-Sen. Obama said that "For those without health insurance I will establish a new public insurance program, and provide subsides to afford care for those who need them."

When Sen. Joe Lieberman, I-Conn., last month told Politico that "if you look at the campaign last year, presidential, you can't find a mention of public option," the liberal group Media Matters accused him of lying and provided myriad examples of the public option being discussed on the campaign trail.

This included an article in the New Republic from Jonathan Cohn which noted that Obama "included an optional public plan in his eventual blueprint for universal coverage."

Other bloggers at Firedoglake, Salon.com, the Huffington Post and the Washington Monthly have also explored this claim.

From the Fact Check Desk: President Obama Says "I Didn't Campaign on the Public Option" - Political Punch
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by visitor42 View Post
    The public option is a good thing, but it isn't the be all and end all. This bill (senate or house version) will have most of what Obama wanted.
    *sighs*

The senate version is what you'll end up with. It doesn't do what Obama said he would accept.

He also said he would veto anything on his desk that did not have a public option.

He's a liar. Please accept reality.

Elite Member

So, from what I've been able to piece together, the only thing this bill that is about to be passed does is force everyone to buy really expensive policies from the private insurance companies, and they can charge us whatever they want, right?

If so, major fail.

Basically.

Elite Member

He further po'd women by selling us down the river re:abortion provisions in the bill.

Thread Information