Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: White House abandons any public option, caves to Joe Lieberman. What fucking losers.

Angry White House abandons any public option, caves to Joe Lieberman. What fucking losers.

The White House is encouraging Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) to cut a deal with Sen. Joe Lieberman (I-Conn.), which would mean eliminating the proposed Medicare expansion in the health reform bill, according to an official close to the negotiations.

But Reid is described as so frustrated with Lieberman that he is not ready to sacrifice a key element of the health care bill, and first wants to see the Congressional Budget Office cost analysis of the Medicare buy-in. The analysis is expected early this week.

"There is a weariness and a lot of frustration that one person is holding up the will of 59 others," the official said. “There is still too much anger and confusion at one particular senator’s reversal.”

Lieberman threw health care reform into doubt Sunday when he told Reid that he would filibuster the bill if it allowed Americans ages 55 to 64 to purchase coverage in Medicare. His comments on CBS’s “Face the Nation” set off a series of private meetings Sunday between the Senate leadership and top White House aides, including Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel, who encouraged Reid to cut the deal with Lieberman, the official said. The White House declined to comment.

Reid has called a special Democratic caucus meeting for 5:30 p.m. Monday.

If they still hope to pass a bill by Christmas – which is still a top consideration at the moment — Democrats have only limited options:

• Reach an agreement with Lieberman, which would mean stripping out the provisions that have kept progressives on board. This will likely cause problems on the left – maybe even defections – unless the White House steps in to persuade senators such as Russ Feingold of Wisconsin and Bernie Sanders of Vermont.

• Win over Sen. Olympia Snowe (R-Maine), but she has also voiced serious reservations about the Medicare expansion, and has resisted pressure from the White House and Senate Democrats to finish the bill by Christmas.

Reconciliation, a procedural maneuver to get around a filibuster, remains on the table, but it’s not a viable option at the moment, the official said. It would push the issue into next year with no guarantee of success.

Democrats are frustrated because they believe Lieberman keeps moving the goal posts. He supported the Medicare buy in the 2000 presidential campaign, and in September reiterated support for the plan in an interview with the Connecticut Post.

Lieberman has denied giving his approval of the Medicare buy-in during the negotiations last week among a group of 10 moderate and liberal senators.

"Contrary to the claims of anonymous aides, Senator Lieberman told Reid on Friday that he had problems with the Medicare provision," Lieberman spokesman Marshall Wittman said in a statement.

"This position was also told to negotiators earlier in the week. Consequently, Senator Lieberman's position came as no surprise to the Democratic leadership. Any contrary charge by aides who cowardly seek to hide under the cloak of anonymity is false and self-serving," he added.

Wittman issued the statement in response to reports that Lieberman, according to anonymous Senate Democratic aides, had initially indicated support for a proposal allowing uninsured individuals as young as 55 to purchase Medicare coverage.

White House to Harry Reid: Cut deal with Joe Lieberman - - POLITICO.com
    Im sorry, why are they elected? Why are they in power? What was the point of the election?

It's becoming pretty apparent that Obama isn't actually for any kind of REAL health reform, just handing money over to insurance companies.

I'm sorry, but he's as bad as Bush, if not worse thanks to being totally spineless as well.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Im sorry, why are they elected? Why are they in power? What was the point of the election?

It's becoming pretty apparent that Obama isn't actually for any kind of REAL health reform, just handing money over to insurance companies.

I'm sorry, but he's as bad as Bush, if not worse thanks to being totally spineless as well.
    Sadly, I agree. I had alot of home with this administration - but he's no different than the repubs ... bought and sold.

second confirmation..

Rahm Emanuel visited Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid in his Capitol office on Sunday evening and personally urged him to cut a deal with recalcitrant Sen. Joe Lieberman, two Democratic sources familiar with the situation said.

Emanuel, President Obama's chief of staff, has long been identified as leading a faction of White House advisers who have been pushing the Senate simply to pass any health care bill, no matter how weak.

His direct message to Reid (D-Nev.), according to a source close to the negotiations: "Get it done. Just get it done....

The report, however, according to the two sources, was entirely accurate. "We're long past time for these kinds of games," one source said.

Breaking News and Opinion on The Huffington Post
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

A*O

Obama need to grow a pair and prove he can do the fucking job he was elected to do. You just know he's being pussywhipped by the lobbyists and other vested interests. Stop talking the talk and walk the walk already. People said all along he was too inexperienced for the job and I'm beginning to wonder if the reality of being POTUS is just too overwhelming and he relies too much on other people's advice and political savvy. I've even read in some Oz commentaries that he was elected to break the status quo and put a black president in the White House, not for his abilities.

I'm also disgusted that he got a Nobel PEACE Prize FFS. I don't see any troop withdrawals from Iraq despite all the talk and he's actually sending MORE troops to the other basketcase regime in the region, Afghanistan. They just admitted they have absolutely NO clue where the Big Bad Wolf bin Laden is and it makes no difference anyway. Even if they do catch and eliminate him there's 100s more fundie lunatics ready and willing to take his place. Just nuke the whole region and be done with it [joke, kinda].
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Pussywhipped? Oh no. He sold his pussy long ago.

1) Dumped single-payer immediately

2) Made "secret" deal with Big Pharma to ensure no cost controls would be applied to their industry

3) Handed off healthcare to 3 blue dogs and 3 neocons in the pocket of the insurance industry who did their best to kill the public option

4) Courted republicans to the point the bills were eviscerated

5) Said anybody wanting a public option was a fringe "left of the left" whacko

6) Sent Rahm to pressure the already spineless senate dems to pass ANYTHING, and to cave to any demand, to get ANYTHING passed whether it be shit or not.

Well, looks like it's happened

Washington Post:

Senate Democrats emerged from a special caucus meeting Monday night determined to pass a health-care bill by Christmas -- but without the Medicare buy-in plan that liberals had sought as an alternative to a government insurance option....

"To use an old cliche, the general consensus was we shouldn't make the perfect the enemy of the good," Bayh said.

... what good? It's shit. These people should be in front of a firing squad.

They are doing the best they can. I know one thing-what works for Canada & Austrailia won't work here.
    Last edited by McJag; December 14th, 2009 at 07:21 PM.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

1) No, they aren't. Re-read the thread.

2) You already have government run health care that is more efficient and vastly cheaper than for-profit business leeches. It already works in the US. It's called medicair/medicade, on top of what government employees get, on top of VETERANS health care. So don't give me that "won't work here" crap.

vote third party. demopublicans clearly all serve the same masters.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Yep, there doesn't seem to be much difference between them. Time to dump the 2 party system. It's not real democracy anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    1) No, they aren't. Re-read the thread.

2) You already have government run health care that is more efficient and vastly cheaper than for-profit business leeches. It already works in the US. It's called medicair/medicade, on top of what government employees get, on top of VETERANS health care. So don't give me that "won't work here" crap.
    Listen Grimm-I am an Army Brat. I know that-I also know I hated it like the plague. No-give me my own doctor. I will pay.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I wish Joe Lieberman would just fucking rot already, he's already got the dead eyes and the bloated skin Fucking shit head prick motherfucker! God I hate him.

And i hate that yet again the Dems are caving it for no reason. If you can't do the damn job then get the hell out of the way for someone that can! (It sure as hell aren't the Repukes either!)

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Listen Grimm-I am an Army Brat. I know that-I also know I hated it like the plague. No-give me my own doctor. I will pay.
    I don't believe you speak for the majority of the nation.

In actuality, the majority of the nation has spoken and they want it, so you're a minority.

EDIT: i'd also like to note that a single payer or public option would not restrict you from your own doctor, where did you get that idea? Frankly, the only people that tell you who you can see are insurance companies NOW.
    Last edited by Grimmlok; December 14th, 2009 at 07:48 PM.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Duh.

A*O

There is a deeply ingrained resistance against "taxes" in the US and until people can move past that and see that the reality of a proper public healthcare system isn't such a terrible thing the insurance companies are going to play on it. The reality is that the average person's annual contribution to such a public, universal system is WAY less than they currently pay in private health insurance. Not only that, those contributions are deducted from gross income, not from nett as at present for private health premiums. If Obama really wants to make this his "legacy" he needs to do a lot more to show an indifferent and/or suspicious public that he's on their team and won't be influenced by the big health insurance players. At the moment it's pathetically obvious who's in charge on this issue. I am deeply disappointed in this man and it worries me that someone so weak and easily manipulated could one day be in charge when a major world crisis erupts (and it will). Yes, he has charm and charisma but now he needs to show he's in charge too. Dubya may have been a moron but he was a determined moron who stuck to his principles even if they sucked.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information