Thread: Gov. Mark Sanford's wife files for divorce

Default Gov. Mark Sanford's wife files for divorce

Sanford’s Wife Files for Divorce

By ROBBIE BROWN
    Published: December 11, 2009
    ATLANTA — Jenny Sanford announced on Friday that she is filing for divorce from her husband, Gov. Mark Sanford of South Carolina, who confessed in June to an affair with a woman in Argentina.
    “As so many of us know, the dissolution of any marriage is a sad and painful process,” Ms. Sanford said in a statement. “Because Mark and I are public figures, we have naturally had less privacy with which to deal with our difficulties than do other couples. Indeed, I know it will soon become known, so I choose to release this brief notice that I am now filing for divorce.”

The Sanfords have been separated since shortly after he admitted the affair in a teary-eyed news conference. Although Ms. Sanford has been living at the family’s beach house on Sullivan’s Island, S.C., with her four sons, the Sanfords have said publicly that they hoped to salvage the marriage. Even Thursday, Mr. Sanford told the news media that he wanted to remain married.

But that proved untenable, Ms. Sanford said in the statement. “This came after many unsuccessful efforts at reconciliation,” she said, “yet I am still dedicated to keeping the process that lies ahead peaceful for our family.”
    She thanked supporters across the country for their “words of encouragement and prayers during this difficult time.”

Governor Sanford issued a statement after her announcement saying that while divorce was not the course he would have hoped for or chosen, he nonetheless accepted full responsibility for the “moral failure” that led to it.
    “Jenny is a great person,” he said, “and has been a remarkable wife, mother and First Lady. She has been more than gracious these last six months and gone above and beyond in her patience and commitment to put the needs of others in front of her own. While our family structure may change, I know that we will both work earnestly to be the best mom and dad we can be to four of the finest boys on earth.”

In recent months, Ms. Sanford has remained in the spotlight, though seldom with her husband at her side. She is writing a memoir, “Staying True,” to be released in April by Ballantine Books, about coping with his infidelity. She has endorsed a successor to him as governor, State Representative Nikki Haley, a Republican and the only woman in the race.

She appeared on Wednesday on a Barbara Walters special on ABC, in which Ms. Sanford, 47, said that she would not have stood by her husband at his televised confession, even if he had asked her to be there.
    “It’s been a crazy year,” she told Ms. Walters. “Certainly his actions hurt me, and they caused consequences for me, but they don’t in any way take away my own self-esteem. They reflect poorly on him.”

In the wake of the scandal, Mr. Sanford, 49, has faced a series of ethics violation charges, calls for resignation and attempts at impeachment. On Wednesday, a subcommittee of the State Legislature voted not to recommend impeachment, but did recommend censuring Mr. Sanford for bringing “ridicule, dishonor, disgrace and shame” on South Carolina.
    It was not clear when the divorce would be filed.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/12/us/12sanford.html
    Good for her!
    "Just because I walked into a turd supermarket doesn't mean I have to buy anything." - John Oliver

I agree, at least she has morals and principles, unlike some, cough cough, who hide under the guise of "what's best for the children" mantra.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

good for her! this woman has some self-respect at least.

So is he now Argentina-bound?

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

probably, men are so lame, they can't stand to be w/o a spouse at home/by their side for a single minute!

Good for her. After watching her interview with Barbara Walters it was obvious she wasn't planning to stick around.

Thread Information