Thread: Tea Party activists want mandatory Christmas Carols in schools

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default Tea Party activists want mandatory Christmas Carols in schools

The Tea Party movement is supposed to be all about keeping the government out of your business. But if some California members get their way, the state will force public schoolchildren to sing Christmas carols.

It's called the "Freedom to Present Christmas Music in Public School Classrooms or Assemblies" initiative.

Merry Hyatt, a substitute teacher and member of the Redding Tea Party Patriots, is behind the push. The Record Searchlight reports:

The initiative would require schools to provide children the opportunity to listen to or perform Christmas carols, and would subject the schools to litigation if the rule isn't followed.

Schools currently are allowed to offer Christmas music as long as it is used for academic purposes rather than devotional purposes and isn't used to promote a particular religious belief, according to an analysis by the California Legislative Analyst's Office.

Parents are allowed to have their students opt out of the caroling if they express that desire in advance.

"We were having Christmas without Jesus," Hyatt complained of her previous school district.

The initiative has the support of the local Tea Party Patriots president.

"Bottom line is Christmas is about Christmas," said Erin Ryan, president of the Redding Tea Party Patriots. "That's why we have it. It's not about winter solstice or Kwanzaa. It's like, 'Wow you guys, it's called Christmas for a reason.' "

So much for limited government?Merry Hyatt, Tea Party Patriot, Wants Mandatory Christmas Carols In Public Schools
    As the Idiots Turn. Nice separation of Church and State, morons.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

A*O

I have to say that the air brushing of any kind of religious context to Christmas for fear of "offending" someone has gone too far. I don't think that letting kids sing a few traditional carols is going to brainwash them or impose any kind of religious agenda. I am sure that some kids think that Santa is what Christmas is all about now and if you showed them a simple nativity scene they wouldn't have a clue what it represents, let alone attach any religious significance.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Fair enough but I had the heathens at a school a few years ago and they did a huge Christmas Carol thing and the Jewish families and teachers did not want to take part, which caused a major hullaballoo (particularly since Easter was also a big celebration at this non-denominational school). I figured it was fair enough that they didn't want to take part since the school never considered doing anything for Hanukkah or Passover, etc.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

How is this even an issue? It has nothing to do with politics, it's so ridiculous! Singing Frosty the Snowman is not going to end the wars, or pave roads, or make education financially available, etc.

About the topic, I don't think it's fair to have only one religion celebrated in public school. They all should be, or none. It singles out the non-Christian kids and excludes them from the class projects.
    "Just because I walked into a turd supermarket doesn't mean I have to buy anything." - John Oliver

I don't think it's about Frosty, I think it's more about 'Good Christian Men Ye Rejoice' and things like that.

--Sinclair Lewis

Trying to FORCE kids to sing Christmas carols in school is the same facism that the Teabaggers claim to be fighting against. Singing carols should be left up to the discretion of the teacher. That's how it worked when I was in school. Some teachers did it, and some didn't. If we sung carols, it didn't make my Christmas better. And it didn't ruin my Christmas if we didn't sing carols.

The initiative would require schools to provide children the opportunity to listen to or perform Christmas carols, and would subject the schools to litigation if the rule isn't followed.
    So, if I'm understanding correctly, it would require them to afford children the opportunity to sing Christmas carols, but not actually require them to sing the songs. If it's an option, I don't see an issue with that.

I do. They can do their religious stuff on their own time.
    "If you are not outraged, then you are not paying attention," Heather Heyer's facebook quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    So, if I'm understanding correctly, it would require them to afford children the opportunity to sing Christmas carols, but not actually require them to sing the songs. If it's an option, I don't see an issue with that.
    The problem is that the schools would be legally required to provide kids the opportunity to sing/listen to Christmas carols. And if they didn't they could be sued. So, it's forcing Christmas carols to become part of the school curriculum/activities, instead of leaving it up to the school's discretion.

Oh for fuck's sake, that's what their CHURCHES or their HOMES are for. You simply cannot prefer one religious tradition over another.

How damn hypocritical can these people be? I don't want government in my life UNLESS it is shoving my personal religious beliefs down everyone else's throats. Enough already.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

A*O

Do American school kids still have to go through this ritual every day?

I Pledge Allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands,
    one Nation under God,
    indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

If people are going to get precious about ANY kind of religious references in school then perhaps this needs to be airbrushed too? If kids are being raised in a religious home then they will know the significance of the words of this, carols, or anything else with the word "God" in it. If they don't have religious parents then it's probably just meaningless drivel but they say it anyway. They are too young to let it bother their conscience either way.

I always remember a couple of Jehovah's Witness kids in my primary school who excluded themselves from daily assembly (we sang a hymn and said prayers in those days) and any other class activity with even the slightest hint of religion including scripture. It was ironic really because they were in fact the most "religious" kids in the whole school.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Thread Information