Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Packing heat at Starbucks for all the world to see

Default Packing heat at Starbucks for all the world to see

The Scavenger : Packing heat at Starbucks for all the world to see

"Open carry" supporter at a Starbucks in Cupertino (Courtesy of KTVU)

In a report highlighting the "open carry" gun movement, KTVU's Lloyd LaCuesta interviewed locals who are hanging out in public, packing heat and exerting their Second Amendment right for all the world to see.

Advocates across the country are picnicking together, going to zoos, going to church and picking up trash. Most notably, supporters protested Obama this past summer. In the Bay area, David Julian, 27, and others are hanging out at a Cupertino Starbucks, sipping their Venti coffees with guns holstered to their hips.

Supporters, who appear to come from all backgrounds, also say they're toting firearms to educate others about guns and their constitutional right. They're doing it protect themselves. And they can do it legally, as Julian demonstrated in his YouTube video below, which shows two Santa Clara deputies checking Julian's gun.

You can openly carry a firearm in California, but as KTVU and the Los Angeles Times explain, the gun must be unloaded and holstered. The ammunition cannot be attached to the gun, said Sunnyvale Police Capt. Doug Moretto. Other rules include:

-- The weapon can be inspected, but there can be no search for the gun's serial number. The open carrier cannot be within 1,000 feet of a school, on the grounds of a college or university, or in government buildings or secure areas of airports (KTVU).

-- People with drug or violent crime convictions or mental disorders cannot open carry (KTVU).

-- In cities within the state, publicly displayed guns must not be loaded. In unincorporated areas, loaded guns can be carried openly unless a local ordinance prohibits it. (LA Times)

But U.S. laws vary across the U.S. The Times cites Utah's "two step" regulation.

Of course the open carry issue raises several concerns. Officers interviewed by KTVU point out that there's no telling if the gun is loaded and that a tense situation could turn violent.

You can watch the KTVU report here. For an overview of open carry regulations, check Opencarry.org. The SF-based Legal Community Against Violence has more on California gun laws.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Great. Some fatass getting amped up on caffeine and fully loaded to go.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

this whole thing is so bizarre to me- people carrying around weapons like its the Wild West and some criminal is going to bound up any second to swipe their latte.

I wonder if any decent percent of these gun toters have ever had a first-hand criminal encounter. I vote no.

That picture could just be an investigator for a law enforcement agency. The investigator's in the D.A. office where I work dress in everyday clothing but always carry a weapon. And we all know how cops like to hang out in coffee shops.

But as far as everyday folks - keep that gun in your house cause I don't want to see it.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

I dont understand the point. You can carry it openly but it can't be loaded. So, in a situation where you would need to whip your pistol out it's conceivable that you wouldn't be able to load it in time to fire off a round at whoever or whatever was threatening you. Also, nothing better than getting into an altercation and having the other person take your gun and use it against you. So, like I said.. what's the point? Oh yea.. to overcompensate for a small weiner. Whatever.

But Penny! It's the principle! Theyz gots the rights to carry arms, dammit!

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

I have no problem with the right to own a gun... I do have a problem when there aren't adequate restrictions and something tragic ends up happening, but that's another issue. I do have an issue with carrying it out in the open like this, though. If you're not a cop and you feel compelled to carry it on your person for all to see chances are you're: a) a trigger happy moron looking for a chance to be a hero.. which will only end badly or b) a trigger happy moron looking for a chance to appear tough and masculine.. which will only end badly. I think law enforcement officials are the only people who would be allowed to carry firearms that are immediately visible like this. It just seems like a very bad accident waiting to happen, IMO. Don't everyone jump all over me at once, please.

I don't like guns, period, but you make some very good points.

--Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Lane View Post
    I have no problem with the right to own a gun... I do have a problem when there aren't adequate restrictions and something tragic ends up happening, but that's another issue. I do have an issue with carrying it out in the open like this, though. If you're not a cop and you feel compelled to carry it on your person for all to see chances are you're: a) a trigger happy moron looking for a chance to be a hero.. which will only end badly or b) a trigger happy moron looking for a chance to appear tough and masculine.. which will only end badly. I think law enforcement officials are the only people who would be allowed to carry firearms that are immediately visible like this. It just seems like a very bad accident waiting to happen, IMO. Don't everyone jump all over me at once, please.
    No jumping here, I agree with you, especially the bolded part. Makes no sense to carry an UNLOADED weapon ... what's the point? To look cool? Don't jump me either, but we own many firearms ... shotguns, rifles and handguns. Shotguns and rifles because my DH is a lifelong hunter (who, again, don't jump me ... but he is very strict in the belief that you only hunt what you're going to eat). One of his shotguns is a very expensive high end one that his father purchased for him, and it will be handed down to our son. The handguns ... he purchased two (new) from our then police chief who had a side business selling firearms (legally). The police chief was childhood best friends with DH's father and they routinely went target shooting at a local range or the PD's outdoor range. At the time, he wanted them for home security and target shooting. We didn't have children in the house and they were kept in a drawer for easy access. Over the years, he's collected a few others (some antique, some very nice pieces that his grandfather handed down). They are all legal and permitted. For years, we would travel to Maine with them (legally ... not loaded, ammo separate from the weapons, and in the trunk) for target shooting because his parents live out in the wilderness. When we go up there during hunting season, he'll bring a shotgun or rifle. In Maine, my DH's family lives off the meat in the winter. It's just something ingrained in the culture there and even here (my father is a lifelong avid hunter as well). Since we have a child in the house now, the guns are all locked up. The handguns have trigger locks on them. The ammo is not stored with the guns. So the purpose the handguns were purchased for is moot now. If someone broke into our house, it would probably take DH at least 8-10 minutes to get to the guns and load them. And of course, by then, it would be too late.

In Maine (at least where my ILs live), you're allowed to walk down the street with a shotgun or rifle slung over your shoulder, which can be a bit discerning at times. My DH is VERY big on gun safety, has taken numerous classes when younger. My son will also, if he so chooses to hunt with his family or target shoot (which I already know he will). My sister and one of our very close family friends are certified hunter safety instructors for our state. For years, even before our son was born, we have participated in a state youth hunting derby that strongly advocates gun safety. Gun safety and education are KEY when yelling about the right to bear arms. I believe in the right to bear arms, but I also believe in COMMON SENSE. Carrying an openly visible sidearm that's unloaded just doesn't make sense to me (then again, neither does being able to walk down the street in Maine with a loaded shotgun or rifle over your shoulder). I know there are several professions other than LE that should be able to have a conceal/carry permit, but I think they should have to go through extremely rigorous training like LE does in order to do so. I guess basically I'm saying I'm kind of on the fence ... I believe in the right to bear arms (if you're legally allowed to do so), but I think there should be a lot more mandatory education if you choose to take that right.

I remember reading a year or two ago about some kind of technology that they were R&Ding about fingerprint trigger locks. I was intrigued by that, but there's problems with it too. Say if *I* needed it to protect myself, but was unable to get the trigger lock off because only one fingerprint is registered ... yeah, kind of pointless (FWIW, I have a firearms ID card (meaning I can apply for a handgun permit, purchase a rifle or shotgun or purchase ammunition, but all the handguns are permitted to my DH)). I don't know what the answer is. I can't forget that image of that soccer mom that showed up with her (legally) registered firearm that she had a permit to carry for ... even as a right to bear arms advocate, I have a LOT of trouble with that. WTF did she need a loaded firearm at a soccer game for? I guess my answer would be greater restrictions on being able to purchase a gun, much more difficult restrictions for getting a carry/conceal permit and mandatory HEAVY gun and gun safety education for the people that want to legally own a gun. IDK

good luck getting at that gun through your lovehandle, fatty
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

My grandpa is a big hunter... he hunts at a deer lease up-state and takes my little brother with him and I don't personally like the idea... actually I hate it, but he's very big on gun safety. He took a gun safety class with my little brother just so he would have someone to go with and they did all the tests and read the books together, even though my grandpa knows this stuff inside and out, and made sure my brother renews his license whenever it comes time to do that and doesn't let my brother behave irresponsibly with his rifle and etc etc etc. While I don't think the whole hunting thing is great, I do appreciate that he's responsible about how he handles his guns and has taught my little brother to be responsible as well. I'm going to ask him what he thinks about this... I know he has a concealed firearm permit, but, to my knowledge, he's never carried a gun around with him to go pick up coffee or anything like that. Like I said earlier, I think it's perfectly legitimate to own a gun and as long as you go through all the procedures and get all the paperwork done to own it and use it legally and responsibly... but in situations like these I can't see a gun serving any purpose other than inflating an ego and making a potentially dangerous situation VERY plausible.

^^^ I agree completely.

that's pure fucking insanity. does not compute.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

Guns make me queasy just looking at them, I get such a knot in my stomach. I think it's a healthy fear.

Makes no sense to carry an UNLOADED weapon ... what's the point?
    I agree. I don't really have an issue with responsible gun ownership, but I also fail to see much point in carrying an unloaded weapon. You wouldn't be able to actually do much with it, and it being visible just seems like it would be more vulnerable to being stolen.

Now, carrying around a big ol' baseball bat or dual katanas or something, that makes sense to me! You need to have your weapons at the ready!
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information