Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Outrage in Washington over President Obama's Japan bow

Default Outrage in Washington over President Obama's Japan bow

Outrage in Washington over Obama's Japan bow - Yahoo! News

(Oh boy, here we go again)

WASHINGTON (AFP) News photos of President Barack Obama bowing to Japan's emperor have incensed critics here, who said the US leader should stand tall when representing America overseas.
    Obama on Monday was in China, having wrapped up the Japan leg of his Asia trip two days earlier. But Washington's punditocracy was still weighing whether or not the US president had disgraced his country two days earlier by having taken a deep bow at the waist while meeting Japan's Emperor Akihito.
    Political talk shows have played and replayed the moment from the second day of Obama's week-long Asia tour, which set the blogosphere on fire and chat show tongues wagging.
    "I don't know why President Obama thought that was appropriate. Maybe he thought it would play well in Japan. But it's not appropriate for an American president to bow to a foreign one," said conservative pundit William Kristol speaking on the Fox News Sunday program, adding that the gesture bespoke a United States that has become weak and overly-deferential under Obama.
    Another conservative voice, Bill Bennett, said on CNN's "State of the Union" program: "It's ugly. I don't want to see it."
    "We don't defer to emperors. We don't defer to kings or emperors. The president of the United States -- this coupled with so many apologies from the United States -- is just another thing," said Bennett.
    Some conservative critics juxtaposed the image of Obama with one of former US vice president Dick Cheney, who greeted the emperor in 2007 with a firm handshake but no bow.
    "I'll bet if you look at pictures of world leaders over 20 years meeting the emperor in Japan, they don't bow," Kristol said.
    Some said the gesture was particularly grating coming after Obama's bow to Saudi Arabia's King Abdullah at a G20 meeting in April.
    The US president's Asia trip comes just over a year after he won election to the White House, and is designed to shore up US power in a region increasingly dominated by rising giant China.
    But back home, Obama's bow in Japan seems to have grabbed much of the attention being paid to the trip.
    The gesture appears to have touched a particularly raw nerve among Obama critics who said the president has hastened America's decline as a world superpower by being too apologetic and too deferential in his dealings with other world leaders.
    While most of the commentary about the bow in Japan was decidedly negative, some political observers, like longtime Democratic activist Donna Brazile, came to the president's defense.
    "I think it's a gesture of kindness," she told CNN, adding that the bow appeared intended to show "goodwill between two nations that respect each other."
    Meanwhile, an unnamed, senior Obama administration official told the Politico.com news site that the president had simply been observing protocol.
    "I think that those who try to politicize those things are just way, way, way off base," the official told Politico.
    "I don't think anybody who was in Japan -- who saw his speech and the reaction to it, certainly those who witnessed his bilateral meetings there -- would say anything other than that he enhanced both the position and the status of the US, relative to Japan," Politico wrote.
    "It was a good, positive visit at an important time, because there's a lot going on in Japan."

Are you fucking kidding me? Maybe he should have gone over there dressed as a buck-toothed aviator pilot just to piss them off. Yeah. Fuck those Japanese.

These windbags would still hate Obama if he single-handedly caught Bin Laden and skull-fucked him. It's reached the level of absurdity.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

How about our President shows respect for other countries' heads of state by utilizing the traditional method of greeting? Morons. Remember when Michelle touched the Queen of England? HORRORS!

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Nixon bowed to either teh Chinese or the Japanese so give me a fucking break. It's the culturally correct thing to do but leave it to the repugs to make a stink over something they most likely don't even begin to understand. Idiots. Pure and complete idiots.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Ridiculous. He was just being respectful.

Elite Member

The ranks right up there with: Right Wing Outraged when Obama takes another breath.

Fine, Obama won't bow to him.

When the Japanese come to visit the US, i dont wanna hear any bitching when they refuse to shake Obama's hand and bow instead.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

'Zackly.

So what? Reagan threw up on him.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I thought Bush Sr. threw up on him. Either way, Obama will ALWAYS do something 'wrong'... as far as these people are concerned Obama misrepresents America period. Which is technically true.. most Americans aren't respectful, upstanding, professionals like Obama is.

Yep, it was Bush Sr...Ha Ha Ha! I like the fact that Obama was being respectful. Thats all it was, people are being ridiculous!!!
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

A bow in japan is the same as a handshake in America. It's how you greet people.

Jesus fucking christ.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

It's not like he gave him a fist bump or jumped up and high fived him.

Give me a break. Can't we find something really important to worry about??
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

It's not a 'fist bump' it's a 'terrorist fist jab'.. get it right.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information