Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jon Stewart catches Sean Hannity falsifying footage of GOP protest

Default Jon Stewart catches Sean Hannity falsifying footage of GOP protest

Jon Stewart Catches Sean Hannity Falsifying Footage To Make GOP Protest Appear Bigger (VIDEO)

The tea party protests continued last week, as Congresswoman Michele Bachmann held an anti-health-care-reform rally on the steps of the Capitol. While she estimated that 20,000-45,000 people attended the event, the Washington Post reported it was actually more like 10,000.

Still, that is a sizable number of Americans exercising their right to free speech and assembly, and that warrants news coverage. But Sean Hannity and his team did more than cover the event. They not only inflated the number in attendance with their words, but actually used footage from a heavily-attended protest this summer to make this health care rally appear more popular. Hannity even pointed out that this was a huge crowd for a Thursday, when the protest footage they used was from a Saturday.

Jon Stewart and his team caught this discrepancy and ran with it, pointing out neither the color of the leaves nor sky in the tacked-on video matched that of the actual footage. They went on to mock Fox by adding more video to the interview, this time from Woodstock and the movie "300."

WATCH:

Video: Sean Hannity Uses Glenn Beck's Protest Footage | The Daily Show | Comedy Central

Now this is the Fox News that I'm used to.

Just watched this online, can't believe Fox thought that was going to work. Go Stewart go.
    Act normal and the crowd will accept you. Act deranged and they will make you their leader

Damnation! Caught right out-what a bunch of dummies. Funny,though.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

dreaming about being on a lake in Ontario

I watched this last night. I hope it gets more airplay.
    If I can't be a good example, then let me be a horrible warning.

I'm sorry, why aren't there FCC fines for this kind of thing?

Swearing and nudity are taboo but wholesale LYING is fine?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Why in the fuck is this ok? How come nothing is being done?
    (276): Michelle Duggar likes to fuuuuck
    OK, I can't sing, I can't act, I'm dumb, I'm a hillbilly, but I can twerk, so whatever.-Miley Cyrus

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    I'm sorry, why aren't there FCC fines for this kind of thing?

Swearing and nudity are taboo but wholesale LYING is fine?
    Wholesale lying is fine in the United States of America:

http://www.projectcensored.org/top-stories/articles/11 -... /

11. The Media Can Legally Lie
    IN TOP 25 CENSORED STORIES FOR 2005

CMW REPORT, Spring 2003
    Title: “Court Ruled That Media Can Legally Lie”
    Author: Liane Casten

ORGANIC CONSUMER ASSOCIATION, March 7, 2004
    Title: “Florida Appeals Court Orders Akre-Wilson Must Pay Trial Costs for $24.3 Billion Fox Television; Couple Warns Journalists of Danger to Free Speech, Whistle Blower Protection”
    Author: Al Krebs

Faculty Evaluator: Liz Burch, Ph.D.
    Student Researcher: Sara Brunner

In February 2003, a Florida Court of Appeals unanimously agreed with an assertion by FOX News that there is no rule against distorting or falsifying the news in the United States.

Back in December of 1996, Jane Akre and her husband, Steve Wilson, were hired by FOX as a part of the Fox “Investigators” team at WTVT in Tampa Bay, Florida. In 1997 the team began work on a story about bovine growth hormone (BGH), a controversial substance manufactured by Monsanto Corporation. The couple produced a four-part series revealing that there were many health risks related to BGH and that Florida supermarket chains did little to avoid selling milk from cows treated with the hormone, despite assuring customers otherwise.

According to Akre and Wilson, the station was initially very excited about the series. But within a week, Fox executives and their attorneys wanted the reporters to use statements from Monsanto representatives that the reporters knew were false and to make other revisions to the story that were in direct conflict with the facts. Fox editors then tried to force Akre and Wilson to continue to produce the distorted story. When they refused and threatened to report Fox’s actions to the FCC, they were both fired.(Project Censored #12 1997)

Akre and Wilson sued the Fox station and on August 18, 2000, a Florida jury unanimously decided that Akre was wrongfully fired by Fox Television when she refused to broadcast (in the jury’s words) “a false, distorted or slanted story” about the widespread use of BGH in dairy cows. They further maintained that she deserved protection under Florida’s whistle blower law. Akre was awarded a $425,000 settlement. Inexplicably, however, the court decided that Steve Wilson, her partner in the case, was ruled not wronged by the same actions taken by FOX.

FOX appealed the case, and on February 14, 2003 the Florida Second District Court of Appeals unanimously overturned the settlement awarded to Akre. The Court held that Akre’s threat to report the station’s actions to the FCC did not deserve protection under Florida’s whistle blower statute, because Florida’s whistle blower law states that an employer must violate an adopted “law, rule, or regulation.” In a stunningly narrow interpretation of FCC rules, the Florida Appeals court claimed that the FCC policy against falsification of the news does not rise to the level of a “law, rule, or regulation,” it was simply a “policy.” Therefore, it is up to the station whether or not it wants to report honestly.

During their appeal, FOX asserted that there are no written rules against distorting news in the media. They argued that, under the First Amendment, broadcasters have the right to lie or deliberately distort news reports on public airwaves. Fox attorneys did not dispute Akre’s claim that they pressured her to broadcast a false story, they simply maintained that it was their right to do so. After the appeal verdict WTVT general manager Bob Linger commented, “It’s vindication for WTVT, and we’re very pleased… It’s the case we’ve been making for two years. She never had a legal claim.”

more...

“Court Ruled That Media Can Legally Lie” - The Steve Wilson/Jane Akre case v. Fox - Democratic Underground

All our media is full of shit, some more than others.....fuck, a journalist once even got a Pulitzer for a made up story published in the WaPo about an 8 year old heroin addict...........

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Hit By Ban Bus!

I remember that, and you are totally right. The ruling by the Florida Court of Appeals applies to ALL media not just Fox. People CANNOT assume they can trust any news outlet. QUESTION EVERYTHING.

We've been thru this with Fox before inflating crowd numbers - they lie, they fabricate, they're still on the air, people still watch them.

GULLIBLE people. But people still watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
    QUESTION EVERYTHING.
    words to live by......

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

^^ 100% agree
    Act normal and the crowd will accept you. Act deranged and they will make you their leader

Or as Fox Mulder put it: Trust No One

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    words to live by......
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightdragon View Post
    ^^ 100% agree
    Quote Originally Posted by DeChayz View Post
    Or as Fox Mulder put it: Trust No One

Yep, if you don't mind being called a conspiracy theorist it's the way to go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information