Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Obama says will end 'Don't ask, don't tell' policy

Default Obama says will end 'Don't ask, don't tell' policy

WASHINGTON President Barack Obama says he will end the "don't ask, don't tell" military policy.

The "don't ask, don't tell" policy allows gays and lesbians to serve in the military as long as they don't disclose their sexual orientation or act on it.

Obama said this country cannot afford to cut from the military's ranks people with needed skills for fighting. He made the comments to thousands of gays and lesbians at a fundraising dinner Saturday night for the Human Rights Campaign, the nation's largest gay-rights group.

Since Obama took office in January, some advocates have complained Obama has not followed through on promises to push top gay rights issues.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

WASHINGTON (AP) President Barack Obama says he knows gay rights activists get impatient but he says this country has made progress and will make more in defending those rights.

He says he is committed to their goals and he will achieve them

On the eve of a major gay-rights rally, Obama addressed thousands of gays and lesbians at a fundraising dinner Saturday night for the Human Rights Campaign, the nation's largest gay-rights group.

Since Obama took office in January, some advocates have complained Obama has not followed through on promises to push top gay rights issues. They are looking for firm commitments on such issues as ending the ban on gays serving openly in the military and pushing tough nondiscrimination policies.

Obama says will end 'don't ask, don't tell' policy - Yahoo! News

When will he end it? I know this is a very polarizing topic since some people feel so strongly about homosexuality, but seriously Obama cannot afford to pander to their potential negative reactions by putting this off... chances are the people who would get their panties in a twist over ending DADT probably weren't Obama supporters to begin with. Obama needs to focus more on following through with the necessary changes he promised and less on winning over lost causes.

blah blah blah SHUT UP AND FUCKING DO SOMETHING
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I concur, my initial hopeful reaction was VERY stymied by the fact that saying he will end the policy is one thing, actions are another.

Getting rid of the don't ask policy is an entirely different animal than fully allowing gays to serve in the military.

So, looks like when we analyze it in depth, more info is needed.

Barack Obama just promised us that if he becomes president, he's going to repeal Don't Ask Don't Tell, the Defense of Marriage Act, and get ENDA passed. It was a bit surreal. I'm sitting at a fundraiser for the Non on 1 effort in Maine (that Obama didn't even bother to mention), and we were all just speechless (actually, hardly speechless - and I thought yelling at the TV was long since over). Obama repeated his campaign promises. That was it.

What's particularly disturbing is how President Obama contradicts himself, and his own administration, when talking to a gay crowd. The president claimed that he's for treating gay couples just like married couples. Then why is he against letting gay couples marry? The president claimed that it doesn't matter if we're at war and working on health care and lots of other important issues, we must forget ahead on gay civil rights. Then why is Obama's own administration putting out the talking point that they can't move ahead on gay rights until the wars are over, until health care is over, until Obama has less on his plate? Even General Jones last week said we can't do DADT because we're at war in Iraq and Afghanistan. But President Obama claimed today that precisely because we're at war it is important to lift the ban now.

Huh?

What did President Obama say new tonight? Absolutely nothing. What did the Human Rights Campaign get in exchange for once again giving our president cover for all of his broken promises to our community? Absolutely nothing.

I like HRC, I know a lot of people who work there, I've defended them when others in the community have been highly critical of them. But it is criminal that any gay rights organization would invite an embattled president to their dinner, giving him political cover for repeated broken promises and slaps in the face to our community (like the DOMA incest brief), and then get absolutely nothing in return. HRC's actions only feed the suspicions of critics who say that the organization is more interested in fundraisers than in advancing our rights.

All in all, the evening was a disappointment, but not unexpected. President Obama doesn't do controversy, and we, my friends, are controversy. So, the bad blood between this administration and the gay community will remain, and continue to worsen. It's unfortunate, but at some point you have to have enough dignity to say enough is enough. The Obama administration doesn't respect our community, and doesn't respect the seriousness of our cause. It's our job to hold them accountable. And we will.

AMERICAblog News| A great nation deserves the truth: Where's the beef?
    same old song and dance
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

He burns me up...Blah blah blah...time is wasting...
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

What's his problem?? End it. Who cares about their sexual orientation?? 99% of society doesn't care, so why should the military???

Well the air force has been taken over by evangelical taliban, google it.. it's scary

the christian right has become firmly entrenched in the US military.. the nutsos are in charge.

Just fucking do it,enough of the I will,I will..You are not going to please everyone,the people that hate you are going to hate you regardless.
    eat a hot bowl of dicks.

Silver Member

Angry

gays are viewed as a "voting block" every four years.
    empty promises

gays ,bis and lesbians have been fighting and dying with honor for country since the 1770s

it will take a brave "in-closet" soldier receiving the congressional medal of and honor and his brave parents making that announcement at the white house ceremony

by repealing "don't ask, don't tell" will that allow same-sex partners the same rights, benefits and pensions as heterosexual partners? Or will the non-legal recognition of these partnerships void that?

I just ask because our government tried to be all 'we're so open minded and respect all partnerships as equal' when it came to declaring your partners income as a basis for determining govt benefit payments (since formerly same-sex couples were a non-legal entity you didn't have to declare a joint income from a partnership that didn't 'exist') but they won't allow same-sex marriages or afford same-sex couples the same legal standing as hetero couples in just about any other arena. It's only recognised where it can financially benefit to govt., which is worse than not being recognised at all, IMO.

Cherry picking where and when you recognise someone's sexuality can be more harmful and offensive than a blanket denial. And I just don't see how it can't be total recognition and rights if it can be done in one area. They just need to wake up and just give equal rights to all sexual orientations!!!!!
    I haven't fucked much with the past, but I've fucked plenty with the future

[YOUTUBE]sR1ciMRQvB8[/YOUTUBE]

Obama needs to stop saying he's going to repeal DADT and just put the pressure on Congress to do it already.

What annoys me are those who are at first like, oh gosh, Obama is the man, he will end this policy and gays will be allowed to fully serve!!

Then when reality sets in, these same people then whine about being let down, all talk, blah blah. Are they really that gullible and stupid, or are they truly just content with empty and hollow promises that appears to "support" them and their cause but only serve as lip service to jerk them around?

Even on gay boards, all you see is "God, we finally have an ally in the white house who SAYS he'll do things for us and all you queens can do is bitch."

The operative word being SAYS. Who the fuck cares what he SAYS. People say all sorts of shit. I can see I'm the fucking Queen of the Netherlands, doesn't mean I actually AM.

Try DOING something.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information