Thread: Human Rights Campaign: Obama has till 2017 for gay rights, so shut up till then

Thumbs down Human Rights Campaign: Obama has till 2017 for gay rights, so shut up till then

Joe and I are both speechless. This come from HRC president Joe Solmonese's weekly update:

But what has he [Obama] done?

I've written that we have actually covered a good deal of ground so far. But I'm not going to trot out those advances right now because I have something more relevant to say: It's not January 19, 2017.

That matters for two reasons: first, the accomplishments that we've seen thus far are not the Obama Administration's record. They are the Administration's record so far....

I am sure of this: on January 19, 2017, I will look back on the President's address to my community as an affirmation of his pledge to be our ally. I will remember it as the day when we all stood together and committed to finish what Senator Kennedy called our unfinished business. And I am sure of this: on January 19, 2017, I will also look back on many other victories that President Barack Obama made possible.

Maybe somebody should ask the 6,000 gay and lesbian service members, discharged between now and 2017, how they feel about that. Maybe we should ask Dan Choi. And Victor Fehrenbach.

I like HRC, I've repeatedly defended HRC when others have been far less kind. But this is not the kind of thing a gay civil rights group writes - it's the kind of thing a White House badly in need of political cover writes for you. It's the kind of thing that someone who doesn't have to worry about getting kicked out of the military would write. Someone who doesn't care about getting married. And, it's the kind of thing someone who is more concerned about image and connections would write.

It is simply astonishing from an organization that is supposed to be dogging this president to secure our civil rights. You don't telegraph that it's okay for him to wait until 2017 to keep his promises.

Good Lord.

AMERICAblog Gay | A great people deserve their rights: HRC: Obama gets until 2017 to keep his promises, and don't criticize him until then

i'm absolutely speechless. these people are so fucking out of touch it's unbelievable.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

2017 is an awfully long time to give rights to people...

...How about until next week?
    A woman has the age she deserves.
    -Coco Chanel

- Have patience.
    - It's been only ___ (fill in the blank) months/years.
    - Wait until we have the House majority.
    - Wait until we have the Senate majority.
    - Wait until we have the Presidency.
    - Wait until 2012.
    - No wait! I meant wait until 2017
    - Wait, wait, wait ...

""I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the gay's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the Straight Citizen's Councilor or the Religious Right, but the straight moderate, who is more devoted to 'order' than to justice who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice who constantly says 'I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action' who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for someone else's freedom who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises gays to wait for a 'more convenient season.'"

With apologies to Martin Luther King, i just switched out 'black/white/ for 'gay/straight'
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Queen Mab View Post
    2017 is an awfully long time to give rights to people...

...How about until next week?
    lol lurves how they seem to always conveniently increase the timeline for their favorites.

Thread Information