Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Obama: Withraw from Afghanistan? Never.

Thumbs down Obama: Withraw from Afghanistan? Never.

WASHINGTON — The White House said Monday that President Barack Obama is not considering a strategy for Afghanistan that would withdraw U.S. troops from the eroding war there.

White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said that walking away isn't a viable option to deal with a war that is about to enter its ninth year.

"I don't think we have the option to leave. That's quite clear," Gibbs said.

The debate over whether to send as many as 40,000 more U.S. troops to Afghanistan is a major element of a strategy overhaul that senior administration policy advisers will consider this week as they gather for top-level meetings on the evolving direction of the war.

Obama has invited a bipartisan group of congressional leaders to the White House on Tuesday to confer about the war. He said the administration would brief leaders from both parties and key committee chairmen and would seek their opinions.

"They're an important part of this and the president wants to hear from them," Gibbs said.

Read more at: White House: Leaving Afghanistan Not An Option
    gee surprise. why did anybody vote for this guy again?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

The 2 choices we had were poor choices
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

Quote Originally Posted by cupcake View Post
    The 2 choices we had were poor choices
    Yeah and the next two probably won't be much better.

nope...what a shame
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

Sooo frustrating. Counter terrorism is important, but we need to reduce the troops in Afghanistan dramatically. Pakistan is now the major threat and Obama needs to refocus.

uh, last I checked Pakistan and the US were super best friends. The US needs to get the fuck out of people's business for a change and go the fuck home
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Obama saying that he's not ready to leave Afghanistan isn't the same as saying he's never leaving Afghanistan. Big difference. Although he needs to have a real exit strategy at some point.

Well the US has already been there for 8 years, and is shipping 40+ thousand more troops over.

So Pakistan is a super best friend?? Here's the reality check:

* Osama bin Laden is in Pakistan, not Afghanistan.

* Terrorists like bin Laden prefer Pakistan as it is more aggressive in its state sovereignty and strongly restricts US operations.

* Pakistan has a nuclear bomb. Afghanistan doesn't.

* Pakistan has the ability to destabilize India.

Osama Bin Laden is DEAD. DEAD.

Dubya f**ked up ROYALLY back in 2002/2003. A smart man would have called Al Qaeda's bluff. But noooo, we had to have the boogeyman alive in order to prolong our stay there.

President Obama better get his act together soon on Afghanistan. We already 'won' years ago. Laden was killed, those who harbored and aided him were killed and left running. That was our objective. Yet they lollygagged around there, and now it's f**ked.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Well the US has already been there for 8 years, and is shipping 40+ thousand more troops over.
    But that's still not the same thing as never leaving Afghanistan. Now, if we don't start winding down Afghanistan within the next year or so, then it's going to 1) put a greater strain on the military/economy, and 2) keep us from dealing with other potential hot spots that may pop up.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiseguy View Post
    So Pakistan is a super best friend?? Here's the reality check:

* Osama bin Laden is in Pakistan, not Afghanistan.

* Terrorists like bin Laden prefer Pakistan as it is more aggressive in its state sovereignty and strongly restricts US operations.

* Pakistan has a nuclear bomb. Afghanistan doesn't.

* Pakistan has the ability to destabilize India.
    Here's another for you:

1) The US is helping fund the Taliban hunt in the BORDERLANDS between Pakistan and Afghanistan.. see, the border isn't exactly secure in the area because said border is a mountain range riddles with cave systems. US predator drones are operating in that region all the time.

2) Pakistan is fully within its rights to refuse the US entry at all, it's a sovereign nation.. not that the US has much use for that kind of thing, considering the whole illegal invasion thing it enjoys so much

3) Pakistan's nukes are a concern obviously, since they are there primarily as a deterrent to India with whom relations have historically been pretty sour and MIGHT become an issue if the Taliban make inroads but that is a far off concept that would take way more manpower and equipment that the Taliban has or ever will have.

4) Pakistan and India have been in an undeclared state of war for 60 fucking years. They aren't going to get any more destabilized unless they start shooting at each other of Kashmir for the hundredth time.

So the idea of the US invading a sovereign nuclear power is ridiculous and INSANE

Osama Bin Laden is DEAD. DEAD.
    Really?? That's conjecture. Only months ago, satellite-aided geographical analysis by UCLA pinpointed Bin Laden's location as being in Pakistan. The New York Daily News only months ago also detailed a report that Bin Laden is in the Chitral district of Pakistan.
    http://web.mit.edu/mitir/2009/online...-bin-laden.pdf

Lastly, here is a report from Rory Stewart from Harvard Kennedy School. This report was made in July this year and he also maintains Bin Laden is still alive and in Pakistan. He is well qualified to make this assertion:
    Rory Stewart has been a soldier, diplomat and academic and has travelled extensively in Afghanistan and Iraq.

He was British Representative to Montenegro in the wake of the Kosovo campaign. After the coalition invasion of Iraq, he was appointed deputy governor of Maysan and senior advisor in Dhi Qar, two provinces in southern Iraq.

His first book, The Places in Between, a New York Times bestseller, was an account of a walk across Afghanistan in the winter of 2001/2. In 2005, he founded an NGO in Afghanistan and moved to Kabul. He is Ryan Family Professor of the Practice of Human Rights and the director of the Carr Center for Human Rights Policy at the John F Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University.
    Lastly, this report also details how much of a major threat Pakistan is. They are hardly a "super good friend".

But that's still not the same thing as never leaving Afghanistan. Now, if we don't start winding down Afghanistan within the next year or so, then it's going to 1) put a greater strain on the military/economy, and 2) keep us from dealing with other potential hot spots that may pop up.
    Absolutely.

oh the US sees fucking enemies everywhere (mostly ones they create themselves), but you go have fun tangling with a nuclear power. Try to keep the fallout on your side of the border cuz the rest of the world is tired of cleaning up your mess.

^^^Oh, please. You are seriously underestimating Pakistan.

"Pakistan has 173 million people and 100 nuclear weapons, an army which is bigger than the American army, and the headquarters of al-Qaeda sitting in two-thirds of the country which the Government does not control."
    Further..

"We have to face the fact that if Pakistan collapses it will dwarf anything we have seen so far in whatever we're calling the war on terror now," Dr Kilcullen told The Age during an interview at his Washington office. Late last month, when US President Barack Obama unveiled his new policy on Afghanistan and Pakistan, he warned that al-Qaeda would fill the vacuum if Afghanistan collapsed, and that the terror group was already rooted in Pakistan, plotting more attacks on the US.
    Try reading this whole article from April this year and say again that Pakistan is a super good friend and no threat.

West warned on nuclear terrorist threat from Pakistan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information