Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Victory: Chicago loses the Olympics

Default Victory: Chicago loses the Olympics

Victory: Chicago Loses the Olympics

I am absolutely reeling with shock that Chicago was knocked out in the first round and the 2016 Olympics are going to Rio de Janeiro. Some quick thoughts about Victoria Brasilia and the Chicago/Daley/Obama humiliation.

1 - This is a victory for the people of Chicago.
    Pushing back against immense pressure from the Daley political machine, organizations like No Games Chicago went grass roots, corner to corner, and spoke out against the Olympic storm of gentrification, tax hikes, and police misconduct. Certainly one reason the U.S. got the high hat was the lingering bad taste of George W. Bush. The global community, after eight years of sneering contempt from Washington DC, isn't ready to rinse with the Obama mouthwash.

But it's the community activists of Chicago who should feel a tremendously gratified. They -- along with the millions of Chicagoans who expressed their trepidation in polls -- saved their city. They have every right to say with pride, "THAT'S the Chicago way!"

2 - Barack Obama may not be feeling it, but he is the luckiest man alive right now
    . Yes, President Obama traveled all the way to Copenhagen and didn't even get a lousy t-shirt, but he is damn fortunate it went down like it did. Obama is the first U.S. President to ever appear before the International Olympic Committee and plea for the games. If they had come to the Windy City, it would have been an eight-year distraction and political gold for his opponents. Every time an Olympic project came in late and over budget, every time a scandal hit the tabloids, every time a crime was captured on a cell phone camera it would have been "Obama's Olympic Folly." Imagine Rush Limbaugh or Glen Beck oozing over to Chicago with every blip in the process. It would have all been at best a distraction and at worst, and endless spigot of champagne for his enemies. The person who really has egg on his face is Mayor Richard Daley. He wanted to show everyone he was a bigger man -- and mayor -- than his Daddy with an Olympic sized stadia to boot. Now expect all the Daley arm-twisting and all the dirty skulduggery in the lead up to both come to light and come home to roost.

3 - This is no time for NIMBY.
    NIMBY of course means not in my back yard. The No Games Chicago movement has a responsibility right now to do a helluva lot more than just cheer their triumph. Now is the time to stand with the people of Rio. It's no secret why the IOC licked their lips at the thought of Brazil. Like China, Brazil is an emerging market yet to be fully "branded" by global multinationals. They also have a police force that shoots first and asks questions never. Their President Lula, who comes from a radical union background, has clearly shown the decrepit, corrupt, IOC Mafiosi that he is willing to play ball. If history is any kind of a guide, the pain for Brazil's working people is now on the immediate horizon. It's our duty to do whatever we can to express solidarity with the favelas, the landless peasants, and the workers about to stare down the barrel of "Olympism." Our work has just begun.

Dave Zirin: Victory: Chicago Loses the Olympics

Some great points in this article- especially #2.

Really,it was only fair that Rio got it. I think everyone thought so-you could hardly get mad. They deserved it and it is long overdue. And yes-#2 is the truth!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I don't even know why Obama wasted his time. There was no way in hell Chicago was going to beat out Rio. But the article makes some good points about how this works in his favor.

But, then again, if he didn't go the right-wingers would've been saying that he didn't 'care enough about America' to fight for the Olympics. I did find it funny how the far-right acted as if going overseas for less than a day was horrible, but Dubya went to the Olympics as a spectator for a few days, while the economy tanked and two wars raged, and they had nothing to say.

But Bill Maher brought up a good point. Losing the Olympics shows that Obama isn't Hitler, since Hitler actually got the Olympics.

I listened to their speeches at the Olympic committee and it really struck me as presumptuous. I love Obama and Michelle but their speeches very much gave me the impression that they thought it was in the bag. Instead of saying things like 'we'd be honored to host' and 'if chosen', they kept saying 'when' and 'it will be great' etc. Granted, I haven't listened to many of these Olypmic pitch speeches, but it also struck me that they didn't say anything practical: they hardly mentioned WHY Chicago made sense, what the big selling points were, what made the city unique and special, etc. Instead, their speeches were more about the Obamas, and their love of Chicago.

I think this was more of an ego slap than anything. The Obama's rolled in there as the President and First Lady with an attitude like they had already been anointed to host the Olympics. Like I said, I think very highly of them but even I, after listening to their speeches, was thinking 'Man, I hope they cut them down to size and don't pick Chicago.' It pains me to say that, but yeah.

I think Obama's biggest weakness is that his ego trips him up at times.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Say WHAT? You think he has a big ego? Why do you think this?

Personally I thought Noprah and Michelle being there too was overkill.

But Thrush Limbaugh is already using the Oly loss as fodder for his radio show...he really hates Obama. Gee, can't imagine why?

And a bit of arrogance, not an attractive trait
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

Quote Originally Posted by cupcake View Post
    And a bit of arrogance, not an attractive trait
    Yeah,,but arrogance with a side of ignorance and stupidity is attractive..gotcha!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

I wonder if anyone would have cared as much if it had been another American city that had a shot.

Yeah, I'm starting to suspect that as well. I keep coming back to something I read in a New Yorker article:
    Obama has always had a healthy understanding of the reaction he elicits in others, and he learned to use it to his advantage a very long time ago.

Marty Nesbitt remembers Obama’s utter calm the day he gave his celebrated speech at the 2004 Democratic National Convention, in Boston, which made him an international celebrity and a potential 2008 Presidential candidate.

“We were walking down the street late in the afternoon,” Nesbitt told me. “And this crowd was building behind us, like it was Tiger Woods at the Masters.”

“Barack, man, you’re like a rock star,” Nesbitt said.
    “Yeah, if you think it’s bad today, wait until tomorrow,” Obama replied.
    “What do you mean?”
    “My speech,” Obama said, “is pretty good.”
    The Political Scene: Making It : The New Yorker
    I've always had trouble reconciling that with the Obama I'm familiar with. But it isn't a new thing- in his book he talks about how he struggled with being overly ambitious and egotistical during his first campaign for Senate, and Michelle having to cut him down to size. And when he decided to run for US Senate, they had a conversation where he had to prove to her that he wasn't just doing this because it was another goal he'd set his sights on.

I hope Michelle keeps speaking up- I don't like stuff like this, and him telling Gov. Patterson to drop out of the race. An oversized ego has sunk many a politician and I hope he gets this in check.

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    Say WHAT? You think he has a big ego? Why do you think this?

Personally I thought Noprah and Michelle being there too was overkill.

But Thrush Limbaugh is already using the Oly loss as fodder for his radio show...he really hates Obama. Gee, can't imagine why?
    Normally, I'd be on Obama's side against any Rush criticism. But, in this case, Obama brought the 'ego has landed' comment from Rush on himself. The right-wing would've bitched even if he hadn't gone, but by going and not getting the Olympics he made himself the easy target of their jokes.

Both he and Oprah thought that they could have the power to sway the IOC just by sheer will of who they were. And they both ended up with egg on their face, not just on a national level, but a GLOBAL level. So, it was a much-needed gut- punch to the ego.

Now, Obama has talked about his ego being a problem, and I don't think he has an out of control ego like Oprah. But I think sometimes his ego gets in the way of common sense. I've noticed that since the primaries.

A few things:

1) When he was leading Hillary in the polls in N.H. he let himself get cocky and slack off, and then Hillary won the primary.

2) When the Reverand Wright controversy broke, rather than just cut Wright off immediately, he thought he could get away with maintaining ties. But that blew up on him.

3) After the Democratic convention, he was riding high in the polls and he slacked off and McCain was able to come and knock the wind out of his sails last summer.

4) After the election, he got cocky at the press conference and made that dumb joke about Nancy Reagan and seances.

5) With both the stimulus and healthcare, he thought that he could just sit on the sidelines and let Congress fight it out because he was popular and didn't have to get his hands dirty. It was the same with constantly appealing to Republicans, because he felt he had the power to sway them because he's Obama.

6) Thinking he could tell Gov. Patterson of N.Y. not to run for re-election.

7) This fiasco with the Olympics.

Quote Originally Posted by Cali View Post
    Yeah, I'm starting to suspect that as well. I keep coming back to something I read in a New Yorker article:
    I've always had trouble reconciling that with the Obama I'm familiar with. But it isn't a new thing- in his book he talks about how he struggled with being overly ambitious and egotistical during his first campaign for Senate, and Michelle having to cut him down to size. And when he decided to run for US Senate, they had a conversation where he had to prove to her that he wasn't just doing this because it was another goal he'd set his sights on.

I hope Michelle keeps speaking up- I don't like stuff like this, and him telling Gov. Patterson to drop out of the race. An oversized ego has sunk many a politician and I hope he gets this in check.
    Normally, Michelle is the one that helps rein his ego in. But I think with this Olympic fiasco her ego was a little out of control. Because from what I've read, the White House didn't want Obama to go, but he insisted because the Chicago group (Oprah & maybe Michelle) made such a big deal out of it.

Both he and Oprah thought that they could have the power to sway the IOC just by sheer will of who they were. And they both ended up with egg on their face, not just on a national level, but a GLOBAL level. So, it was a much-needed gut- punch to the ego.
    There are times when Oprah should keep her fucking mouth SHUT....

Normally, Michelle is the one that helps rein his ego in. But I think with this Olympic fiasco her ego was a little out of control. Because from what I've read, the White House didn't want Obama to go, but he insisted because the Chicago group (Oprah & maybe Michelle) made such a big deal out of it.
    Wow. I used to think that Michelle was too critical of him, now I have to wonder.

Eh, I bet they just said what the Chicago organizing committee wanted them to say. The bid cities are in charge of their presentations, even if a head of state is talking.

Besides, it's not like Chicago had a chance really. In fact, it's nice that the Obamas went - Chicago didn't have a good shot at getting it, but Obama went and supported it even if it makes him associated with failure.
    "Oh! I've been looking for a red suede pump!"
    - Marie (Carrie Fisher), When Harry Met Sally

There are times when Oprah should keep her fucking mouth SHUT....
    Ain't that the truth.

Wow. I used to think that Michelle was too critical of him, now I have to wonder.
    I always thought it was a good thing that Michelle was too critical of him when it came to his ego. She knows him better than anybody else.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information