Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pet Care Tax deduction Act introduced to U.S. House of Representatives

Default Pet Care Tax deduction Act introduced to U.S. House of Representatives

I hope this goes through, for those of us who rescue lots of animals, a $3500 annual tax deduction for qualified veterinary expenses would really help.

Allow a Deduction for Pet Care Expenses
    Target: U.S. House of Representatives
    Sponsored by: Care2
    What would life be without companion animals? During these difficult economic times however, more and more people find that the financial cost of giving pets the care they deserve becomes a burden, or worse, unbearable.

The Humanity and Pets Partnered Through the Years (HAPPY) Act (H.R. 3501) was just introduced to the U.S. House of Representatives and referred to the House Committee on Ways and Means. The Act would amend the Internal Revenue Code to allow an individual to deduct up to $3,500 for "qualified pet care expenses" - including veterinary care - for a legally owned, domesticated, live animal.

As you, your family members or your neighbors may be trimming budgets to make ends meet, innocent animals should not have to go without adequate care! Even a small tax deduction for responsible pet owners will go a long way to meet the needs of companion animals, ease the tax burden of those who own a pet (63 percent of all households) and may even encourage more people to provide loving homes to the countless animals filling America's shelters.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takea...?z00m=19784589

YES! I've thought for a long time that it would only be fair to have a tax deduction for pets since they give one for kids. Vet care is freaking expensive. It will never pass, though.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

>>I am spreading the word everywhere I can, as are others I know. Maybe if enough people sign the petition, it will get pushed through.

It's a nice thought. We have many rescue animals and we've spent thousands on one cat this year alone.

>> same here. Spread the word, maybe we can all get it pushed through.

Just signed the petition! Go animals!

Is this for any animals? I have a friend who just spent a bunch of $$$ on her hampster. It has a tumor
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

Yes, domestic pets. Hamsters are pets too.

Ill sign
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

I signed.

I signed. I have 7 cats and have always had pets (no kids) - I'd LOVE a frickin' deduction.

I signed too. I have 4 cats and one of them is 14 years old with diabetes and chronic renal failure. His vet care,medication and low carb canned food all cost a fortune. Pet owers spend billions each year on pet care so we deserve a tax break. Especially with the insane profits being made off of us.

Even though this Act wouldn't effect me (come on parliament do something similar), I signed

Elite Member

I guess I'll be the lone dissenter here. I have a dog and as much as I'd like "help" paying for her medical expenses, a tax deduction for pet care expenses seems foolhardy given the deficit and the overwhelming problems that we face as a country. IMO something like this should be low priority, beneath affordable healthcare for all, ending the wars, strong regulation on banking and investments, energy independence, a balanced budget, job creation...

Quote Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
    I guess I'll be the lone dissenter here. I have a dog and as much as I'd like "help" paying for her medical expenses, a tax deduction for pet care expenses seems foolhardy given the deficit and the overwhelming problems that we face as a country. IMO something like this should be low priority, beneath affordable healthcare for all, ending the wars, strong regulation on banking and investments, energy independence, a balanced budget, job creation...
    You aren't alone, I just wasn't brave enough to voice that thought first ... chicken shit I am.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information