Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More Abu Ghraib pictures to be published.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default More Abu Ghraib pictures to be published.

MORE photographs have been leaked of Iraqi citizens tortured by US soldiers at the notorious Abu Ghraib prison on the outskirts of Baghdad.

Tonight the SBS Dateline program plans to broadcast about 60 previously unpublished photographs that the US Government has been fighting to keep secret in a court case with the American Civil Liberties Union.

Although a US judge last year granted the union access to the photographs following a freedom-of-information request, the US Administration has appealed against the decision on the grounds their release would fuel anti-American sentiment.

Some of the photos are similar to those published in 2004, others are different. They include photographs of six corpses, although the circumstances of their deaths are not clear. There are also pictures of what appear to be burns and wounds from shotgun pellets.

The executive producer of Dateline, Mike Carey, said he was showing the pictures leaked to his program because it was important people understood what had happened at Abu Ghraib.

Seven US guards were jailed following publication of the first batch of Abu Ghraib photographs in April 2004.

Mr Carey said he could not explain why the photographs had not yet been published, as he thought it was likely that some journalists had them.

"It think it's strange, maybe they think its more of the same."

au.com

It's pretty grim stuff, but here is the link:

http://smh.com.au/news/world/the-pho...90737099.html#

and another, which is even more disturbing.

http://today.reuters.com/tv/videoSto...18af6b6b3fd557
    Last edited by buttmunch; February 15th, 2006 at 09:34 AM.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Default Re: More Abu Ghraib pictures to be published.

There are also pictures of what appear to be burns and wounds from shotgun pellets.
    Wow, so Cheney was on hand for some of it!

more on this..

AMERICAblog

More grisly photographs and videos have emerged that appear to show U.S. soldiers abusing prisoners at Iraq's Abu Ghraib prison.

The Australian television network SBS program "Dateline" broadcast the pictures and videos Wednesday night. They reportedly date from 2003 -- the same time that previously released photographs of prisoner abuse were taken.
    The pictures are available at at waitingtoderail's Dailykos diary. They're graphic -- even for Australian tv:
    The program did not show all of the pictures. It deemed some of them too graphic for air, Carey said.

Among the images broadcast were pictures of naked men who appeared to have suffered physical trauma, one of whom the report said had 11 nonlethal bullet wounds in his buttocks.

Other pictures show dead bodies, one of which the program said a U.S. Army report identified as one of three men killed during a riot over living conditions at the prison.

Makes you proud.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Silver Member

Urgh,God,this churns my stomach....

I cannot believe some condone this...It is reported and documented that 90% of the detainees held in Abu Ghraib were INNOCENT and held without charge.
    Red Cross: U.S. intel said up to 90% of Iraqi detainees are innocent
    by NewStandard Staff May 11, 2004 – When Senator James Inhofe stated today during Senate Armed Services Committee hearings that inmates tortured at the notorious Abu Ghraib facility "were not there for traffic accidents," he may have been more correct than he realized. According to an International Committee of the Red Cross report leaked to the Wall Street Journal, Coalition military officers intimated to ICRC personnel that they believe the overwhelming majority of inmates held in US custody were not guilty of anything. The report, which was delivered to top military officials in February, details extensive abuses , involving far more than the "few bad apples" officially blamed by US authorities. The report reads: "Certain [Coalition Forces] military intelligence officers told the ICRC that in their estimate between 70% and 90% of the persons deprived of their liberty in Iraq had been arrested by mistake."
    http://newstandardnews.net/content/?...tem&itemid=334

Here is a short documentary on the New Horrors Revealed with these photos of the Abu Ghraib scandal...
    Iraq - Abu Ghraib - 13 min 05 sec [15 February 2006] [/b]

New Horrors revealed
    EXCLUSIVE! Shocking new images have come to light revealing the extent of prisoner abuse at Abu Ghraib - and it's much worse than anyone imaged. They depict new incidents of homicide, torture and sexual humiliation and indicate a broader pattern of abuse than was previously understood.

These photographs are currently the subject of a legal battle in the United States where the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) has been granted access to the photographs under Freedom of Information provisions, however the US government is currently appealing the decision. When the original Abu Ghraib photographs were leaked to the press, members
    of Congress were given a private viewing of photographs including these images. They were shocked by what these extra images revealed of the full horror of the abuses taking place at Abu Ghraib.

This exclusive SBS Dateline report reveals the full story.
    SBS
    (Ref: 2963)
    http://journeyman.tv/?lid=56008#56007
    Last edited by Hazeleyed_Honey; February 15th, 2006 at 10:04 PM.

Yeah, I felt a bit sick looking at them because it shows how base some humans really are. Unfortunately, they're committing these acts while wearing a US army uniform, so ultimately we all get blamed. In light of that, we all need to take responsibility for their deeds and act accordingly. I think the only sensible solution is to call for the resignation of Rummy, Wolfie, Cheney, Condi, Bushie and all the rest of the gang. They've shamed us and shamed us and shamed us and there doesn't seem to be any end to what they'll do to destroy the America I know.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

but we can't publish the mohammed cartoons??? What a world......
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye.
    Miss Piggy
    US Muppet and Pig

I've never had a problem with the prophet Mohammed cartoons that were published. But it's hard for me to compare the two situations, since the 12 cartoons were the figment of a number of cartoonist's imaginations while the Abu Ghraib photos and videos depict actual events. Two very different things, I think.

--Sinclair Lewis

These pictures NEED to come out because they highlight hideous abuses at the hands of Imperialist US military forces, and said abuses were sanctioned by the cabal of freaks currently controlling said forces.

Oh, and the prophet mohammed cartoon bullshit is retarded. There's nothing in the Qu'ran saying you can't draw the guy, that's a VERY loose interpretation.. so these idiots are protesting and killing each other over NOTHING.

Morons.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Silver Member

As for the soldiers there, there are SOME sick people all over the world and in all walks of life and although I am shocked at these pictures, I am just as shocked when I see pictures of the horrible torture and abuse that goes on in these Muslim nations. The extreme torture and beheading and hanging of people. Even children have been tortured. It's sad when we have some Americans that stoop to that sick level.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by serenity
    As for the soldiers there, there are SOME sick people all over the world and in all walks of life and although I am shocked at these pictures, I am just as shocked when I see pictures of the horrible torture and abuse that goes on in these Muslim nations. The extreme torture and beheading and hanging of people. Even children have been tortured. It's sad when we have some Americans that stoop to that sick level.
    Exactly!

The U.S. expresses itself about being all about human rights and freedom. But when the government takes these humans and treats like this, what does that say about their values?They know better and should hold their moral standards to a higher degree than these barbaric actions.But hey, when it comes to dirty Arabs, why would they care?They value black oil more than the blood and lives of these Iraqi civilians as we can see with this brutal war.

By the way,I am blaming the government for this and NOT the American people. If anything, the American people would condemn this and would fight to bring justice to all this.

What pisses me off is that the high ranking officials who advocate all this are all getting away with it. This is OBVIOUSLY a policy set by the U.S. government administration since it is PROVEN and DOCUMENTED that these widespread abuse of detainees happens in prison cells held by U.S. guards in Guantanamo Bay, Iraq and Afghanistan.

This is a cause from those all the way up the ladder,and they are all sitting there laughing at all this...The worst violators of nature and human rights never go to jail. They hold the keys to it.

By the way,I am blaming the government for this and NOT the American people. If anything, the American people would condemn this and would fight to bring justice to all this.
    The American people know full well this is going on, just like warrantless wiretapping, the gulag of Guantanamo, and everything else.

They just don't care. They're apathetic. If it doesn't happen to them, it's not worth thinking about. How long has it been.. 5? 6 years now? How long does it take ?

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok
    The American people know full well this is going on, just like warrantless wiretapping, the gulag of Guantanamo, and everything else.

They just don't care. They're apathetic. If it doesn't happen to them, it's not worth thinking about. How long has it been.. 5? 6 years now? How long does it take ?
    to me I think that the American public just does not know the extent to how bad it is.

This is not all out in the open, the government does a very well job with their propganda to make this look all minimal.

If anything, wasn't it the anti-war movement that helped push to stop the war in Vietnam?Back then, I believe the Americans were a lot more exposed to the atrocities of that war and it moved them to stop it. The U.S. government learned their mistake, and made sure that now their propaganda would help diminish a big surge of anti-war movements. Afterall, the media is the 4th branch of the government.

If the rest of the world can see it, so can they. I don't buy this bullshit that "they don't know".

The germans tried using that in 1945, didn't really pan out.

SVZ

oprah's on!

I wish Oprah was in Abu Graihb

It's not anti-americanism when you say that 3 years ago, 53% of americans thought Saddam flew planes into the WTC.

It's not anti-americanism to say that 47% of the US population think s its peachy keen for Bush to illegally wiretap them.

It's not anti-americanism to say that 56% don't have a problem with torturing 'suspected terrorists' as long as it keeps America safe.

So either it's absolute rampant stupidity, or absolute rampant ignorance. The information is there if anybody cares to look.

So either theyre stupid or lazy. Take your pick.

Solutions aren't my responsiblity. They're yours.

2nd ammendment anybody?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information