Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: US census worker found hanged in Kentucky with "FED" scrawled on his chest

Exclamation US census worker found hanged in Kentucky with "FED" scrawled on his chest

The FBI is investigating the hanging death of a U.S. Census worker near a Kentucky cemetery, and a law enforcement official told The Associated Press the word 'fed" was scrawled on the dead man's chest.

The body of Bill Sparkman, a 51-year-old part-time Census field worker and occasional teacher, was found Sept. 12 in a remote patch of the Daniel Boone National Forest in rural southeast Kentucky. The Census has suspended door-to-door interviews in rural Clay County, where the body was found, pending the outcome of the investigation.

Investigators are still trying to determine whether the death was a killing or a suicide, and if a killing, whether the motive was related to his government job or to anti-government sentiment.

Investigators have said little about the case. The law enforcement official, who was not authorized to discuss the case and requested anonymity, said Wednesday the man was found hanging from a tree and the word "fed" was written on the dead man's chest. The official did not say what type of instrument was used to write the word.

FBI spokesman David Beyer said the bureau is helping state police with the case.

"Our job is to determine if there was foul play involved and that's part of the investigation and if there was foul play involved, whether that is related to his employment as a census worker," said Beyer.

Beyer declined to confirm or discuss any details about the crime scene.

Lucindia Scurry-Johnson, assistant director of the Census Bureau's southern office in Charlotte, N.C., said law enforcement officers have told the agency the matter is "an apparent homicide" but nothing else.

Census employees were told Sparkman's truck was found nearby, and a computer he was using for work was found inside it, she said. He worked part-time for the Census, usually conducting interviews once or twice a month.

Sparkman has worked for the Census since 2003, spanning five counties in the surrounding area. Much of his recent work had been in Clay County, officials said.

Door-to-door operations have been suspended in Clay County pending a resolution of the investigation, Scurry-Johnson said.

The U.S. Census Bureau is overseen by the Commerce Department.

"We are deeply saddened by the loss of our co-worker," Commerce Secretary Gary Locke said in a statement. "Our thoughts and prayers are with William Sparkman's son, other family and friends."

Locke called him "a shining example of the hardworking men and women employed by the Census Bureau."

___

McMurray reported from Lexington, Ky.

AP source: Census worker hanged with 'fed' on body
    ... scary
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Fuck. I looked into signing up to work doing the census.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Investigators are still trying to determine whether the death was a killing or a suicide, and if a killing, whether the motive was related to his government job or to anti-government sentiment.
    Yeah, the guy scrawled the word 'FED' into his chest and then hung himself.

Elite Member

Oh this sounds very very bad.

First, the yokels got all angry about the science of Evolution.

Then, they got all pissed about the science of Global Warming.

Now, they're even going after people who can count!!!

They've been freaking out about the census for some time.

Just Got a Scary Call from a US Census Worker
    GPS tracking on your front door by Census workers

a whole bunch here:
    Video Taping the Census Takers

This combination of ignorance and fear is really dangerous.
    "But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

"Trump is, in my opinion, the first woman president of the United States." -- Roseanne Barr

It's better than having found his liver removed with fava beans, a bottle of Chianti nearby.

this is horrific. And of all the crazy things to get worked up about, this seemingly takes the cake. Its the f'in census! The government uses it to allocate resources, electoral votes, all sorts of things.

Outrageous! They better catch the nut that did this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by Cali View Post
    this is horrific. And of all the crazy things to get worked up about, this seemingly takes the cake. Its the f'in census! The government uses it to allocate resources, electoral votes, all sorts of things.
    No it's not. It's to find and round up people for obama's death panels!!!!

I felt like such a freeper posting that.

I just threw away my calculator and de-installed Microsoft Excel. I hope that keeps me safe.

Elite Member

Kentucky has the highest rate of mental illness in the US.

They are also extremely red (connection?).

I imagine there are a lot of people there who are especially susceptible to inflammatory rantings of Glenn Beck et al.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Kill Me View Post
    Fuck. I looked into signing up to work doing the census.
    Well, you've certainly got the right board name to be a census worker in Kentucky.

This makes me so mad. This man sounds like a really amazing guy, and an asset to his community. He was a substitute teacher working 2 jobs, had just beat cancer, and he was a single father- his poor child.

William Sparkman
    Graduate Speaker at February 2008 Commencement

Bill Sparkman's education story is one of thoughtful parental involvement for his son and for himself, personal fortitude in the face of very difficult circumstances, including very serious personal illness. He thought of it as volunteering in his son's classroom. He never imagined it would lead to a career change. Bill began his career path as a sports editor for the Mulberry Press and through various jobs thereafter, it landed him in London, Kentucky, just as his son was entering elementary school.

His son could pass any test but was struggling with completing the required assignments, so Bill thought by volunteering in the classroom that he could help his son's learning situation. Eventually, he was offered the job of a paraeducator. Several years into the job, he realized he was doing many of the same things that the teachers were doing. Talking with several other paraeducators, he learned they were all going to school, working on their teacher certifications.

"Being a single parent, I knew I couldn't quit my job and I would have limited nights to go to school, so it could take a long time to finish," said Bill. "I checked around and discovered Western Governors University. WGU offered everything that I wanted. I didn't have to sit in class and I could go as fast or as slow as I needed to."

Bill was making great progress when a life-threatening brick wall popped up. A cyst had formed on the right side of his neck and it was found to be non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. Refusing to let that get in his way, he persevered. He began the necessary medical treatment and continued to do his student teaching. "My mentor provided me great support through this obstacle and continued leading me down the path to graduation," Bill said. "As more people discover WGU, I believe that more great teachers will be there for more students and be able to provide the support everyone deserves."

Bill graduated from WGU in December 2007 with his bachelor's degree in mathematics education. With warnings from his doctor about traveling by plane, Bill attended the actual graduation ceremony in February 2008 in an alternative way-—by driving all the way across the country to Salt Lake City to attend in person to receive the diploma he worked so hard to earn. While Bill is waiting for a math teacher position to open, he is substitute teaching in various school districts in London, Kentucky.

Note: WGU has learned that William Sparkman passed away unexpectedly in September 2009. The university and its staff extends condolences to Mr. Sparkman’s family and friends.
    Online College Student and Graduate Profiles | William Sparkman
    A few more bits from various articles:
    Today, Bill Sparkman patiently waits for a math teacher position to open as he continues to substitute teach in various schools throughout Laurel County. Along with his commitment as a substitute teacher he also works evenings at the Campground Elementary in its after-school program.

“I think things are looking pretty good as there are eight schools throughout Laurel, Knox, Whitley and Clay counties,” said Sparkman, reflecting on his future as a teacher. “Working for the U.S. Census Bureau, I’ve become familiar with the numerous opportunities the school systems have to offer. I’m hoping to stay here in Laurel County, but I’d be willing to travel to any of the other schools, if that’s where a position opens. My home, my life is here in Laurel County, and this is where I want to stay.”

Sparkman takes no personal credit for his remarkable recovery.

“I know a lot of people were out there praying for me, and I have no doubt that it was a mixture of God’s will, the doctors, and my friends and family that got me through this,” he said.

“I don’t know who played the biggest part in getting me well, but I’d be happy to bow down and kiss whoever’s feet were in front of me.
    TheTimesTribune.com, Corbin, KY - Never give up

I worked for the 1990 US Census and LOVED it. OMG it was awesome. Was thinking of also trying it again in 2010.

I did same as this guy---went house to house/apt to interview people about their households. I found a LOT of resistance from people, but mostly nice, friendly people. If I remember correctly, if you simply fill in the Questionaire the Census sends you, there is no need for the personal visit.

Very sad though. He was just doing his job.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information