Thread: National Organization for Marriage President: We’ll win in Maine

Thumbs down National Organization for Marriage President: We’ll win in Maine

National Organization for Marriage President: We’ll Win in Maine

By David Weigel 9/21/09 1:43 PM

I spent a few minutes talking with Maggie Gallagher, the president of the National Organization for Marriage, after she gave a rip-roaring introduction for Carrie Prejean at the Values Voter Summit. First, however, she expressed some disappointment that TWI wasn’t a gay publication.

“I love the gay press,” said Gallagher. “I really am impressed with gay journalists, as a group. I like reading the marriage issue in the gay press because they cover it as if what happens matters, whereas if you read The New York Times, it’s always about how this is going to affect who gets elected president.”

Fair enough — my questions were about NOM’s chances of winning a November 2009 gay marriage vote in Maine, and about whether pro-gay marriage campaigners were making the right moves there.

“I’m pretty confident that, as in California, we’re going to win,” said Gallagher. “We’re in much better shape in Maine than we were in California at a similar point. We were ten points down on September 1, 2008 and we won. I saw a poll yesterday that had us up two points in Maine.”

Gallagher also dismissed a TV ad by Equality Maine, a pro-gay marriage group that beat pro-traditional marriage forces to the airwaves.

“I think that ad is not very effective,” she said. “I think that’s a very soft-focus, nice, pleasant ad, but I don’t think it changed any minds one way or another. If I was them, I wouldn’t be spending money there.”
    The Washington Independent » National Organization for Marriage President: We’ll Win in Maine

Elite Member

Marriage needs a national organization to protect it?

Moreover, how come the states with gay marriage have the lowest divorce rates? Maybe the NOfM should be in favor of gay marriage.

Still cannot get over the fact that there is a "national organization" for marriage.

Bigoted assholes, i hope they all die in fires.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

wow what a bunch of asshats
    Act normal and the crowd will accept you. Act deranged and they will make you their leader

If it would ever come to a vote here, the decision of the Supreme Court will get turned around. I have no illusions about that.

Thread Information