Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheney shooting victim has heart attack.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default Cheney shooting victim has heart attack.

I just saw on CNN (will post when I see an article) that the guy Cheney shot had a heart attack. I just caught it quickly...will be back with more info. This whole incident, by the way, gets more surreal by the minute.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Default Re: cheney shooting victim has heart attack.

He had the heart attack while in the hospital??? Bummer.....

Default Re: Cheney shooting victim has heart attack.

You mean somebody tried to "off" him there?
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

^^^HAHA!! YES!!!

Drudgereport.com has a small article about this, but doesn't say much more than Buttmunch already has. Very interesting......

Here's an article from CBS/AP. Fox actually had it online first (those close connections, I guess) but I couldn't bear to post their version.

(CBS/AP) The 78-year-old man shot by Vice President Dick Cheney suffered a minor heart attack after birdshot moved into his heart, hospital officials said Tuesday, and was moved back to the intensive care unit for further treatment.

Texas attorney Harry Whittington was recovering and will be monitored for seven days to make sure more bird shot doesn't move to other organs or move to other part of his body, hospital officials said.

"However some of the bird shot appears to have moved and lodged into part of his heart in what we would say is a minor heart attack," said Peter Banko, administrator at Christus Spohn Hospital Corpus Christi-Memorial.

White House physicians who attended to Whittington at the scene after Cheney accidentally shot him were involved in the treatment, the officials said.

The Texas Parks and Wildlife Department issued a report Monday that found the main factor contributing to the accident was a "hunter's judgment factor." No other secondary factors were found to have played a role.

The department gave Cheney and the victim, prominent Republican attorney Harry Whittington, warning citations for breaking Texas hunting law by failing to buy a $7 stamp allowing them to shoot upland game birds. A department spokesman said warnings are being issued in most cases because the stamp requirement only went into effect five months ago and many hunters weren't aware of it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To read and comment about coverage of the Cheney story, go to Public Eye.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cheney's office said Monday night in a statement that Cheney had a $125 nonresident hunting license and has sent a $7 check to cover the cost of the stamp. "The staff asked for all permits needed, but was not informed of the $7 upland game bird stamp requirement," the statement said.

The state's report said Whittington was retrieving a downed bird and stepped out of the hunting line he was sharing with Cheney. "Another covey was flushed and Cheney swung on a bird and fired, striking Whittington in the face, neck and chest at approximately 30 yards,' the report said.

While the firestorm continued over the shooting incident, the vice president himself had no plans to comment.

"There are no plans at this time for any public events where the vice president might speak publicly" about the accident, the vice president's office said Tuesday, CBS News correspondent Peter Maer reports.

Cheney has not said anything publicly at all about the incident, which occurred Saturday when he accidentally peppered Whittington with shotgun pellets while the two were hunting for quail.

Democratic Sen. Chuck Schumer called on Cheney to hold a press conference to discuss the shooting incident.

"Though no one doubts that the hunting mishap was an accident, it is astonishing that you have let three days go by without speaking directly to the public about it," Schumer, D-N.Y., said in a letter to Cheney.

While the vice president remained silent, the White House has apparently decided that the best way to deal with the accident is to joke about it.

Though still under fire for the delay in disclosing the shooting mishap, White House spokesman Scott McClellan was not above making a joke at Cheney's expense, reports CBS News correspondent Mark Knoller.

Noting that President Bush would be hosting an event for the NCAA football champion Texas Longhorns, McClellan quipped that their burnt orange uniforms shouldn't be confused with hunter's safety wear.

"The orange that they're wearing is not because they're concerned that the vice president may be there," joked McClellan, following the lead of late-night television comedians. "That's why I'm wearing it."

Facing more questions on the shooting incident, McClellan later served notice on reporters that he intends to move on.

"If you all want to continue to focus on this you can spend your time on it. We're going to keep focusing on the pressing priorities of the American people," he said.

The county sheriff says an investigation is underway, but it's considered so routine that the local sheriff didn't send his deputies to interview the vice president until the following morning, reports CBS News correspondent Lee Cowan reports.

"Everyone knew it was an accident and nothing criminal," said Sheriff Ramon Salinas.

Katharine Armstrong, owner of the ranch where the shooting occurred, said it happened toward the end of the hunt, when it was still sunny but as darkness was encroaching and they were preparing to go inside. She said Whittington made a mistake by not announcing that he had walked up to rejoin the hunting line, and Cheney didn't see him as he tried to down a bird.

Armstrong said she saw Cheney's security detail running toward the scene. "The first thing that crossed my mind was he had a heart problem," she told The Associated Press.

She said Cheney stayed "close but cool" while the agents and medical personnel treated Whittington, then took him by ambulance to the hospital.

Pamela Willeford, the U.S. ambassador to Switzerland, another member of the hunting party, told The Dallas Morning News that she and Cheney didn't realize Whittington had picked up a bird and caught up with them.

Willeford said she has hunted with Cheney before and would again.

"He's a great shot. He's very safety conscious. This is something that unfortunately was a bad accident and when you're with a group like that, he's safe or safer than all the rest of us," she said.

But the accident raised questions about Cheney's adherence to hunting safety practices. While some hunting experts said Whittington should have made his presence known, Cheney apparently broke the number one rule of hunting: always know what you're firing at.

"We always stress to anybody that before you make any kind of a shot, it's incumbent upon the shooter to assess the situation and make sure it's a safe shot," said Mark Birkhauser, president-elect of the International Hunter Education Association and hunter education coordinator in New Mexico.

"Once you squeeze that trigger, you can't bring that shot back
    '

Hahahaha....always know what you're shooting at. There is so much in that sentence...hahahahahaha

Also, as the VP, shouldn't he, more than most people, be sure to two the line when it comes to the law? And since he apparently hunts often in this area, shouldn't he have made sure he was up to date on local rules and regulations? Nice example, Dickhead. Let's hope the standard set by Dickhead applies to the rest of Americans who 'aren't aware' a new regulation has been passed.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

I know! It's hard not to laugh. I know he's old but still...

--Sinclair Lewis

Now he knows how all those poor Quail feel.

Poetic justice.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

This just keeps getting better and better. I bet Cheney is shitting bricks right now even if they'll never charge him with anything in connection with this,

So, if this man dies-what happens? I know they said it was a minor heart attack, but these are the same idiots who tried to keep it under wraps...and why the hell are there white house doctors there helping in his treatment? They just happened to be at the hunt....why? Cause they know Cheney is an old fart and may fall over with a stroke/heart attack at any minute?!
    THE EASIEST WAY OUT IS THROUGH....

Nothing will happen. Not even a slap on the wrist. Cheney will go "oops, sorry." and then mumble his way back to the bunker.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok
    Nothing will happen. Not even a slap on the wrist. Cheney will go "oops, sorry." and then mumble his way back to the bunker.
    If this doesn't trigger his own heart attack. A girl can hope can't she?

Quote Originally Posted by UndercoverGator
    This just keeps getting better and better. I bet Cheney is shitting bricks right now even if they'll never charge him with anything in connection with this,
    Nope, he'd actually need to have a conscience to be able to do that.....
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

How ironic for the guy to be shot by Cheney-king of heart problems- and have a heart attack himself. Just wow.

Quote Originally Posted by UndercoverGator
    If this doesn't trigger his own heart attack. A girl can hope can't she?
    he's already had 4, so unless his heart explodes in his chest or spontaneously combusts i don't think that's the way he'll finally die.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information