Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 75 percent of Oklahoma high school students are idiots

Default 75 percent of Oklahoma high school students are idiots

75 Percent of Oklahoma High School Students Can't Name the First President of the U.S.

Posted: Sep 16, 2009 11:17 AM MDT Wednesday, September 16, 2009 1:17 PM EST Updated: Sep 17, 2009 9:30 AM MDT

OKLAHOMA CITY -- Only one in four Oklahoma public high school students can name the first President of the United States, according to a survey released today.

The survey was commissioned by the Oklahoma Council of Public Affairs in observance of Constitution Day on Thursday.

Brandon Dutcher is with the conservative think tank and said the group wanted to find out how much civic knowledge Oklahoma high school students know.

The Oklahoma City-based think tank enlisted national research firm, Strategic Vision, to access students' basic civic knowledge.

"They're questions taken from the actual exam that you have to take to become a U.S. citizen," Dutcher said.

A thousand students were given 10 questions drawn from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services item bank. Candidates for U.S. citizenship must answer six questions correctly in order to become citizens.

About 92 percent of the people who take the citizenship test pass on their first try, according to immigration service data. However, Oklahoma students did not fare as well. Only about 3 percent of the students surveyed would have passed the citizenship test.

Dutcher said this is not just a problem in Oklahoma. He said Arizona had similar results, which left him concerned for the entire country.

"Jefferson later said that a nation can't expect to be ignorant and free," Dutcher said. "It points to a real serious problem. We're not going to remain ignorant and free."

Question
    % of Students Who Answered Correctly
    What is the supreme law of the land? 28
    What do we call the first ten amendments to the Constitution? 26
    What are the two parts of the U.S. Congress? 27
    How many justices are there on the Supreme Court? 10
    Who wrote the Declaration of Independence? 14
    What ocean is on the east coast of the United States? 61
    What are the two major political parities in the United States? 43
    We elect a U.S. senator for how many years? 11
    Who was the first President of the United States? 23
    Who is in charge of the executive branch? 29
    75 Percent of Oklahoma Students Can't Name the First President - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports |

This totally explains how Coburn and Inhofe became senators.

Answers:
    Question Answer % of Students Who Answered Correctly

What is the supreme law of the land? The Constitution 28
    What do we call the first ten amendments to the Constitution? The Bill of Rights 26
    What are the two parts of the U.S. Congress? The House and the Senate 27
    How many justices are there on the Supreme Court? Nine 10
    Who wrote the Declaration of Independence? Thomas Jefferson 14
    What ocean is on the east coast of the United States? Atlantic 61
    What are the two major political parities in the United States? Democratic and Republican 43
    We elect a U.S. senator for how many years? Six 11
    Who was the first President of the United States? George Washington 23
    Who is in charge of the executive branch? The President 29
    Citizenship Test Answers - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports |

All in favour of deportation?
    "If you are not outraged, then you are not paying attention," Heather Heyer's facebook quote.

As much as I'd like to laugh at the students, this is just more proof that the U.S. educational system is a joke.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

But I bet they play some awesome football!
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

^^^
    i blame the schools, and these kids' retarded ignorant parents.
    i learned a lot in school but i learned just as much from my parents, either through books they read to us, trips to museums an other places, and just listening to their conversations.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    As much as I'd like to laugh at the students, this is just more proof that the U.S. educational system is a joke.
    I chock this one up to regional variances. I've always noticed huge differences from state to state on education.

Like this video from a Texas school board:
    [YOUTUBE]Y9vJ5XTFBFU[/YOUTUBE]
    There's a reason why Texas is Texas. And Oklahoma is Oklahoma.

You'll notice that both are in the bible belt where hoards of people wouldn't mind a Christian theocracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    I chock this one up to regional variances. I've always noticed huge differences from state to state on education.

[youtube]Y9vJ5XTFBFU[/youtube]

You'll notice that both are in the bible belt where hoards of people wouldn't mind a Christian theocracy.
    I agree completely that region plays a role. But I grew up in N.J., outside of the bible belt, and I remember being in school and there were kids who didn't know basic American history, such as who Christopher Columbus was and why he was famous. Some didn't even know the name of the president.

The U.S. educational system is crap all over, but it tends to be worse in poorer states & states that are ruled by a Christian theocracy mindset.

Idiot kids should be statistical outliers though. Not the overwhelming majority in a survey.

True. But if these kids are idiots, then it's the fault of the Oklahoma school system and their parents.

dreaming about being on a lake in Ontario

This is sad and ridiculous. I blame everyone including the kids. Parents should be teaching their children from birth. They need to talk to them, take them to museums, have them watch educational shows on T.V. Teachers and schools need to insist on excellence and expect it from the students. Children has to take responsibility for trying to learn. Some just sit in class and let it float through their head and let it float right out. It would be nice if all teachers were entertainers but they aren't. Teachers need to step up their game though. Everyone needs to take some blame.
    If I can't be a good example, then let me be a horrible warning.

Wow. My daughter (first grade) actually successfully answered this question yesterday.....

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post

[YOUTUBE]Y9vJ5XTFBFU[/YOUTUBE]

"The majority vote... the minority.. the vote.. you see, the majority and the minority.. well, the vote for the minority by the majority.. the women.. men.. the majority, the men.."

I know in the Texas public education system (or at least in the school district in my hometown) public schools have to meet a certain pass quota on the TAKS standardized test each year to get funding. Schools aren't teaching to teach and enrich.. they're teaching for reasons that are completely non-conducive to learning and it ultimately hurts students in the long run.

Hell I bet most ADULTS in the U.S. couldn't answer basic questions about American history and society. Those Jay Leno routines, while funny, are probably reflective of how people in America actually think.

I bet many wouldn't even know what happened on 9-11.

Quote Originally Posted by celeb_2006 View Post
    Hell I bet most ADULTS in the U.S. couldn't answer basic questions about American history and society. Those Jay Leno routines, while funny, are probably reflective of how people in America actually think.

I bet many wouldn't even know what happened on 9-11.
    Kids who don't know basic American history are being raised by parents who probably don't know it either.

And as dumb as a lot of Americans can be, I think it would be hard to find too many people, especially adults, who don't know what happened on 9/11. That was one of those events where you remember where you were like the Challenger explosion & JFK being killed.

And as dumb as a lot of Americans can be, I think it would be hard to find too many people, especially adults, who don't know what happened on 9/11. That was one of those events where you remember where you were like the Challenger explosion & JFK being killed.
    And it's so recent. It happened less than 10 years ago.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information