Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Some white people have basically lost their minds

Question Some white people have basically lost their minds

There is no other way to say this but to put it all on the table. Some white people have simply lost their minds because they are besides themselves trying to figure out how in the world they slipped up and let an African-American man in the White House, as President of these not so United States.

While thankfully there are a few whites who have been willing to speak up about what is really bubbling up, or more like, spewing forth lately, people like former President Jimmy Carter, Tim Wise and some other bloggers here on The Huffington Post, most people simply have tiptoed around the huge white elephant in the room. The outrageous incidents, which seem to be increasing in frequency -- Glenn Beck's obvious racial appeals by saying Obama hates white people, Sen. Joe Wilson's unprecedented outburst before the world yelling at the President, the birther's refusal to accept the truth, the almost mob like town hall meetings where some people openly carried signs that were perfect for a Klan rally, Rep. Lynn Jenkins' "White Hope" remark, 'tea party" leader Mark Williams referring to President Obama as "an Indonesian Muslim turned welfare thug and a racist in chief," the uproar over the President of The United States daring to give an inspirational speech to America's school kids -- I could go on but you get the point -- these are nothing more than the ugliest of racism that has simply boiled over the sides of our famed and mythical melting pot.

Right-wing whites have simply reached the point where they cannot take it any more. And the message seems to be that they will say and do whatever it takes to de-legitimize this President. And they seem to be certainly saying "never again." The saddest part about all of this is that it was just a few moths ago that many of us in the multi-ethnic coalition that banded together to usher in the Obama era were celebrating what looked like the start of a new seemingly post racial America. But just nine months later, I have to say I don't think I have seen a time when the bitterness and seeming us against them mentality was more evident. And by "us against them," I mean whites against the flood of people of color that are seeming to challenge the idea of what it means to be America and American. All you had to do was look at the faces of some of the Congressman in the crowd at President Obama's speech to see the venom that was only thinly veiled. It almost matched what we saw and heard from some of the people in the crowds at the recent town hall meetings.

The irony in all this is the challenge the Rep. Wilson's, Glen Beck's, Sean Hannity's and Rush Limbaugh's throw down by trying to intimidate the rest of us by daring us to call out this racism and to call them what they are -- silly men, and some women, who have seen the future and realize that the future is one where white men are not the only ones with a seat at the table anymore. And this scares the hell out of them. So they spew this crap and dare us to stand up to it and speak the truth. But we have to let them know that we will not back down, that we will not go away, that we will indeed call them out, no matter how many times they target a Van Jones, or whoever is next since they can't get to Obama. This country is changing, for the better, whether they like it or not, so they might as well accept it and find something else to do. The Republican Party can only make a fool of itself for so long before it completely implodes. And no attempt to put a Black mouthpiece like Michael Steele in front can disguise the fact that the Party is losing control of itself and some of these formerly disguised racists that pretend they are not anti-Black. No just anti anything from an African-American who dares actually have the gumption to call himself President and dare to do what he promised he would do when the country duly and fairly elected him.

I know President Obama is in a tough place and he can't really call these people out. He has to be "Presidential." But we can speak up. The issue is not health care reform or President Obama being too far left, because we have had people on the left run this country before. And we have had battles over health care, social security and other issues before. What we have never witnessed, at least when it came to the respect afforded our country's leader, whether it was former Presidents George W. Bush, Ronald Reagan or Bill Clinton, is this level of disrespect and overt vitriol directed at a President. All Presidents have had their opponents. But when you think through what has been directed at Obama, and his family for that matter with some of the truly low things that have 'slipped out" of people's mouths, like the South Carolina Republican activist, Rusty DePass, who said an escaped gorilla was probably Michelle Obama's ancestor, there is no denying this is beyond civil disagreement.

But I for one am not going to be intimidated into silence and I will call these racists what they are. I can accept and respect differing viewpoints, but what President Obama, and the rest of us, don't have to accept is racism disguised as patriotism. Let's call it what it is, racism born out of a fear that those darker skinned people have taken over. This is just not the America they expected, at least not so soon.

Read more at: Earnest Harris: Some White People Have Simply Lost Their Minds
    Lolz
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

This thread title is funny

The same crap we're seeing now is what happened in the 50's, 60's and 70's when the racists fought against social change. I guess they forgot how they lost those fights, too.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    The same crap we're seeing now is what happened in the 50's, 60's and 70's when the racists fought against social change. I guess they forgot how they lost those fights, too.
    Yeah, that's what I'm thinking as well. Its like the Civil Rights Era, except the liberals / people opposed to these crazies aren't united behind a clear goal. And the crazies don't have a goal in mind either, other than short-term controversies. I think that's why this perspective has flown under the national radar for so long. Hell, maybe that's been by design, so that the crazies could gradually eat away at the edges and undermine the President in relatively small ways without causing widespread liberal anger.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it could be a good call for the President to give an updated version of his speech on race, 'A More Perfect Union.'

Good article, particularly about the token black mouthpieces like Michael Steele,
    or the hopelessly delusional Larry Elder. The other night there was another
    black guy (who did his darndest to sound whiter than white) who'd been a
    speaker at the Tea Party gathering.
    Elder even got his panty in a twist when Larry King dared to ask him if it
    didn't anger him that people were holding up signs with racist depictions of
    President Obama, because, you know, according to Mr. Elder there IS no
    race problem. Yeah, right.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Should we start taking bets on when these nutjobs are going to blow something up? And where they're going to do this?

Yes, the right wing seems to have moved on from 'subtle' racism to straight on white supremacy stuff. It's disgusting, if not at all surprising. Obama's win just brought out all the crap lurking beneath the surface.
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Cali View Post
    Yeah, that's what I'm thinking as well. Its like the Civil Rights Era, except the liberals / people opposed to these crazies aren't united behind a clear goal. And the crazies don't have a goal in mind either, other than short-term controversies. I think that's why this perspective has flown under the national radar for so long. Hell, maybe that's been by design, so that the crazies could gradually eat away at the edges and undermine the President in relatively small ways without causing widespread liberal anger.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it could be a good call for the President to give an updated version of his speech on race, 'A More Perfect Union.'
    Obama needs to avoid touching the subject of race now. It would just do more harm than good. It would just give the right-wingers and racists another excuse to amp up the racism. His foot-in-mouth comments on the Gates arrest didn't even mention race, but were twisted to be about race.

Elite Member

IMO, the goal of these nuts is to keep Obama from being elected for a second term. I think we have to skip the criticisms for now and stand up behind this very decent man and his family - don't forget his daughters are watching these attacks too. If I was Michelle, I'd be LIVID. What a terrible way to treat a president.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Obama needs to avoid touching the subject of race now. It would just do more harm than good. It would just give the right-wingers and racists another excuse to amp up the racism. His foot-in-mouth comments on the Gates arrest didn't even mention race, but were twisted to be about race.
    Perhaps so. But I do think that we need SOME universally respected national figure to stand up and give a speech along the lines of 'Do we really want to return to this? Do we really want to let this escalate until some public figure is assassinated or hurt, to a risk of Oklahoma City-type attacks, to race riots like Newark?' It seems that the entire nation needs a great big time-out, come to Jesus talk.

But then, on that note- do you think that these crazies would actually riot? I'm trying to picture what the doomsday scenario would look like if these people:

just flipped out en masse.

Lol, some of my black friends are wondering the same thing. Have many that voted for him that are just not happy right now.
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

^^^
    jesus, people are forgetting that there's a fucking crisis going on right now. it doesn't matter who got elected, a lot of people aren't going to be happy and a lot are going to lose their jobs.
    and it will take years before things go back to normal. people really do have short attention-spans and they have no clue how things work, they thought obama was just going to come in and fix everything up in a few months. well, it doesn't work that way. it took years for things to get to this point, and it will be years before things improve significantly.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

But then, on that note- do you think that these crazies would actually riot? I'm trying to picture what the doomsday scenario would look like if these people:

Would look like? Shouldn't we be saying will look like? We all know these people are about ready to lose it. They have Beck, Dobbs and Fox News egging them on. Let's not forget that talk show hosts helped fuel the rage and violence in Rwanda in the 90s.

Maybe it won't be all of them, but certainly more than enough to make a national tragedy happen.

Perhaps so. But I do think that we need SOME universally respected national figure to stand up and give a speech along the lines of 'Do we really want to return to this? Do we really want to let this escalate until some public figure is assassinated or hurt, to a risk of Oklahoma City-type attacks, to race riots like Newark?' It seems that the entire nation needs a great big time-out, come to Jesus talk.

Jimmy Carter is a fairly respected national figure, and look how the racist/right-wingers turned on him. So, I doubt there's anyone that can stop it from escalating. I mentioned a while back that Obama's election was the tipping point for the racists. They see his election as the continued attack on 'their America.' Right now, they're making a last stand for 'their America.' But they aren't smart enough to figure out that they already lost that war years ago. Time only moves forward, not backwards.

The mistake the GOP is making by courting the racist vote is that it just alienates everyone else and keeps them from regaining power. Because the racists aren't just angry about Obama, but about any and all social policies that aren't strictly conservative & religious.

Quote Originally Posted by cupcake View Post
    Lol, some of my black friends are wondering the same thing. Have many that voted for him that are just not happy right now.
    And what point are you trying to make about your 'black friends' and 'LOL?' Just throwing out my 'black friends' into a thread about race isn't really making the point, especially when you add 'LOL' to it.

Hell, I'm black and I'm not happy with Obama's clusterfuck handling of healthcare, pouring cash with no strings into the banks, and not spelling out a clear plan for Afghanistan. But my being black doesn't lend any extra credence to those complaints.

Thought this was interesting for those who haven't seen any recent interviews of Frank Schaeffer.
    Friday, September 18, 2009

About My Interview From TMP

This is from "TMP Cafe"

September 18, 2009, 9:00AM

Wednesday night, after Pres. Carter's remarks identifying the racism attendant to the teabagger rally in Washington and the other virulent eruptions of the right, Rachel Maddow interviewed a fellow named Frank Schaeffer about what it all means. She introduced the segment by pointing to some of the survey results about New Jersey "conservatives" and how many of them believe that Obama either is the antichrist or might be. Schaeffer grew up in the "Evangelical" movement and was an influential player early on in organizing the Christian right. Like Saul of Tarsus on the road to Damascus, Schaeffer, at a certain point had an epiphany and changed the course of his life. He now recognizes Christian fundamentalism for what it is and does what he can to combat it's continued malignant growth.

I think Mr. Schaeffer has a great deal of wisdom to impart about the Christian right, what it's all about and why it manifests itself politically as it does. People should listen carefully to what he has to say on this subject.

Rachel noted that about 60% of McCain voters in New Jersey do not think Obama is an American citizen. She wondered aloud why this is and how this could be and this is what Mr. Schaeffer said:
    Those of us who come from the evangelical subculture have been weaned with our mother's milk on a changing cast list of villains. It might be Kennedy to one generation, Obama to the next, but I think the larger point this brings up is that the mainstream, not just media, but culture doesn't sufficiently take stock of the fact that within our culture we have a subculture which is literally a fifth column of insanity that is bred from birth through home school, Christian school, evangelical College, whatever to reject facts as a matter of faith. And so this substitute for authentic, historic Christianity, and I may add a little caveat here I'm a churchgoing Christian, really brings up the question can Christianity be rescued from Christians?

And that's an open question and when you see a bunch of people going around thinking that our President is the antichrist you have to draw one of two conclusions. Either these are racists looking for any excuse to level the next accusation or they're beyond crazy and I think beyond crazy is a better explanation and that evangelical subculture has rotted the brain of the United States of America. We have a big slice of our population waiting for Jesus to come back. They look forward to Armageddon. Good news is bad news to them. When we talk about the Left Behind series of books that I talk about in my book Crazy for God, what we're really talking about is a group of people who are resentful because they know they've been left behind. By modernity, by science, by education by art, by literature.

The rest of us are getting on with our lives. These people are standing on a hilltop waiting for the end. This is a dangerous group of people to have as neighbors and they are our national neighbors. And this is the source of all these insanities that we see leveled at the President, one way or another they go back to this evangelical subculture. Uh, it's a disaster.
    Rachel then went on to discuss the large numbers of self-identified "conservatives" who pay heed to the birthers and deathers, etc... She then asked...

Q: How do you work to move people off of that position? It doesn't seem like facts are relevant in trying to move people away from these beliefs.
    You don't work to move them off this position. You move past them.

Look, a village cannot reorganize village life to suit the village idiot. It's as simple as that. And we have to understand we have a village idiot in this country: it's called fundamentalist Christianity, and until we move past these people, and let me add as a former lifelong Republican, until the Republican leadership has the guts to stand up and say it would be better not to have a Republican Party than have a party that caters to the village idiot there's gonna be no end in sight. The next thing they'll do is accuse Obama of being the antichrist and then who knows what comes next? On and on it goes. There is no end to this stuff. Why? Because this subculture has, as it's fundamentalist faith, that they distrust facts per se.

They believe in a young earth, 6000 years old, with dinosaurs cavorting with human beings. They think that whether its economic news or news from the Middle East it all has to do with the end of time and Christ's return. This is La La Land and the Republican Party is totally enthralled to this subculture to the extent that there is no Republican Party. There is a fundamentalist subculture which has become a cult. It's fed red meat by buffoons like Rush Limbaugh, Glen Beck and other people who are just not terribly bright themselves and they are talking to even stupider people. That's where we're at. That's where all this is coming from and it's becoming circular. It's becoming a joke. Unfortunately a dangerous joke because once in a while one of these looney tunes we see brings guns to public meetings. Who knows what they do next? It's a serious thing we all have to face but the Democrats and sane Americans just have to move past these people and say, go wait on the hilltop for the end. The rest of us are going to get on with rebuilding our country.
    You can go to the following url which will take you to Mr. Schaeffer's website. The clip from the Maddow show is front and center and can be watched by clicking on the link:

FRANKSCHAEFFER.COM

Mr. Schaeffer knows these people and their beliefs very, very well. He understands their mentality. Mr. Schaeffer does not dispute that much of the vitriol for Obama comes from racism but interestingly, he thinks that racism is only a part of it and even the racism we see emanates in large part from fundamentalist Christianity. I went and looked around on his blog and he believes that soon they may well turn to violence. I think he may well be right. The paranoid, sensationalist rhetoric of the right is very reminiscent of other times in the not too distant past when right wing violence sprang up. Speaker Pelosi was warning of that today and was all but ignored by the Republican leadership. People need to be prepared. And we need to be prepared to smack down any further violence by the right quickly and effectively so they do not pick up anymore momentum.

Posted by Frank Schaeffer at 8:29 AM
    Frank Schaeffer: About My Interview From TMP

Video of his interview on The Rachel Maddow Show earlier this week:
    [YOUTUBE]lPwGV1h4lW8[/YOUTUBE]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information