Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Michael Steele blasts Jimmy Carter for throwing race around in a 'willy-nilly' way

Default Michael Steele blasts Jimmy Carter for throwing race around in a 'willy-nilly' way

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Republican National Committee Chairman Michael Steele on Wednesday sharply criticized a statement made by prominent Democrats — including Former President Jimmy Carter — that members of his party hold negative views of President Obama solely because he is black.
    Steele accused Carter of being "dead wrong" and said he thinks the former Democratic president "was out of line."
    "I think that he takes this to a point — to a level that is not reflective of what's been transpiring" in the current health care debate, Steele said. "When you go down this road and you start to just willy-nilly — as I believe President Carter has — throwing race out there, you diminish real instances of racism that needs to be addressed."
    Carter on Tuesday said that he believes an inclination toward racism still exists in parts of the country and that it has "bubbled up to surface because of the belief by many white people not just in the south but around the country that African Americans are not qualified to lead this great country."
    Carter made similar comments Wednesday night at a Town Hall in Atlanta, where he said that carrying signs equating Obama with Adolf Hitler and or urging that the president be buried with the late Sen. Ted Kennedy “are beyond the bounds” of how presidents have been treated in the past.
    “And I think people who are guilty of that kind of personal attack against Obama have been influenced to a major degree by a belief that he should not be president because he happens to be African American,” Carter said. “ … And my hope is, and my expectation is, that in the future both Democratic leaders and Republican leaders will take the initiative in condemning that kind of uprecendented attack on the president of the United States.”

Steele, interviewed by Wolf Blitzer on CNN’s “The Situation Room,” was flummoxed when asked about a remark Democratic Rep. Henry "Hank" Johnson made Tuesday which drew a parallel between South Carolina Rep. Joe Wilson's "You lie" outburst during President Obama's speech to a joint session of Congress last week and people "putting on white hoods and white uniforms again and riding through the countryside intimidating people."
    "I think it's an ignorant statement," Steele said. "I'm sorry, just to me, it's beyond anyone's comprehension that you can make that leap."
    While denouncing accusations of racism, Steele also suggested that Democratic members of Congress who represent constituents in poor neighborhoods are more racist than Wilson.
    "You tell me where racism really exists," Steele said. "Is it in the words of a congressman who says 'you lie'? Or is it how we strip education funding through opportunity scholarships? Or is it how we cut money for our HBCU's [Historically Black Colleges and Universities] around the country? Or is it the fact that so many African Americans still live in neighborhoods that are burnt out and run down?"
    Steele admitted that the Republcan party needs to take a new line to connect with black voters. "Our party has for over a generation employed a strategy that right now many of us wish we never had," he said.
    Steele admonishes Democrats' charges of racism
    If Steele really believes that there's no racism at play, then why is he always absent at these Tea Party marches? I'd love to see him speak to the crowd. I'm sure they'd welcome him with open arms.

stupid oreo shitbag
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

My husband's friend who is black and a Harvard educated lawyer was driving through the south a few years ago and walked into a store. He was told to leave the store and come in through the back door.

The upcoming issue of Newsweek:

Is your baby racist? Are they serious?

On a sidenote, I'd like Michelle Malkin to appear at one of those Tea Party rallies with Steele. That would be fun to watch for us, and eye-opening for them.

Actually the Newsweek piece is not as weird as it seems, it refers to this article:

Even Babies Discriminate: A NurtureShock Excerpt. | Newsweek Life | Newsweek.com
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by sharky View Post
    My husband's friend who is black and a Harvard educated lawyer was driving through the south a few years ago and walked into a store. He was told to leave the store and come in through the back door.
    This happened to me once in Maine! of all places, in the mid eighties.
    I'm not even dark skinned, though I was tanned from the sun (it was
    summer). I guess my naturally curly hair was too Afro to their taste
    (we'd just been to the Cape) and they told little blue-eyed me to use
    the service entrance!
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Quote Originally Posted by Aella View Post
    Actually the Newsweek piece is not as weird as it seems, it refers to this article:

Even Babies Discriminate: A NurtureShock Excerpt. | Newsweek Life | Newsweek.com
    But that cover...it's just ridiculous.

they should have put a little mini Klan hat on him.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

But the Newsweek article is talking about kids, 5-7, not babies. The cover is trying to create the impression that racism starts in the womb, as if it's genetic and not taught.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    But that cover...it's just ridiculous.
    Could be worse.

"If you are not outraged, then you are not paying attention," Heather Heyer's facebook quote.

The boys from brazil.......
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    But the Newsweek article is talking about kids, 5-7, not babies. The cover is trying to create the impression that racism starts in the womb, as if it's genetic and not taught.
    I think it mentioned something about babies recognising different colours in faces/staring longer at faces of another race. How that is racist is puzzling though: they're just curious! Of course a baby would stare at something 'new' more.

The article definitely has flaws. I liked the fact it dispelled the myth of colourblindness and showed the damaging effect of refusing to discuss race with kids (at least when it comes to white parent), but it almost seemed to imply that kids were picking up their racist attitudes from the ether. Because there's NO WAY parents might have passed on their bias on a subconscious level, or that the kids' environment and society in general might contain some iffy messages.

I admit the cover cracks me up, if only for the sheer WTFness of it.
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

how experienced were babies on seeing faces from other races?

If i was a white kid who had limited experience with black people i'd be pretty curious too. It's new!
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I think it mentioned something about babies recognising different colours in faces/staring longer at faces of another race. How that is racist is puzzling though: they're just curious! Of course a baby would stare at something 'new' more.

The article definitely has flaws. I liked the fact it dispelled the myth of colourblindness and showed the damaging effect of refusing to discuss race with kids (at least when it comes to white parent), but it almost seemed to imply that kids were picking up their racist attitudes from the ether. Because there's NO WAY parents might have passed on their bias on a subconscious level, or that the kids' environment and society in general might contain some iffy messages.

I admit the cover cracks me up, if only for the sheer WTFness of it.
    That's just political correctness spinning out of control again. Either that, or Newsweek is just trying to capitalize on all of the racial tension.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information