Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Obama blasts Dems in Congress for wanting to censure Joe "You Lie!" Wilson

Thumbs down Obama blasts Dems in Congress for wanting to censure Joe "You Lie!" Wilson

From Politico:

Even as Democrats on Capitol Hill call for a rebuke of Rep. Joe Wilson for his outburst last week at the president’s address, Barack Obama downplayed the need for a further censure of the South Carolina Republican, saying the whole thing is becoming a “big circus.”

“See, this is part of what happens,” Obama said, when asked about Wilson by interviewer Steve Kroft on Sunday’s “60 Minutes.” “I mean, it just becomes a big circus instead of us focusing on health care.”

Some Democrats, led by Majority Whip Jim Clyburn (D-S.C.), are pushing for an official censure of Wilson, with a floor vote on the resolution coming as early as Tuesday.

Joe Wilson is the best thing to happen to Barack Obama in nine months in office. The last thing you do, politically, is try to squelch the fires. The same anger and extremism that led to Wilson's outburst also led to the August townhall meetings fiasco that derailed Obama's health care reform. Wilson's overt, public, nuttiness finally gave Obama the chance to knock the teabag crowd on its collective butt. Rather than pile on, Obama and Senate Democrats chose to oblige Wilson by tightening the anti-immigrant (and anti-abortion) provisions of the legislation. Wilson (among others), as a result, is now saying that he was justified in doing what he did, and that Obama did lie, otherwise there would have been nothing for Obama and the Senate Dems to tighten. And today, Obama is undercutting the effort again.

Why? As we've already noted, Obama doesn't do drama, which he has apparently interpreted to include fighting for policy initiatives, and more generally, taking on Republicans. But what's really happening here, I think, is that the president is trying to boost his own numbers at the expense of Democratic members of Congress. By referring to Democratic efforts to censure Wilson as a "circus," the president is feeding the public's negativity towards Congress, and towards Democrats specifically, since they're leading the effort. Obama has repeatedly drawn an equivalence between far-right nuts and core constituencies and members of Congress in his own party. While this mini-Sista-Souljah may help Obama position himself as some kind of above-the-fray adult, it also makes it harder for Democrats in Congress to ge re-elected, and hold their majorities, next year. And at some point, Democrats in Congress may decide that it's more important to keep their own jobs, and hold their majority, than defend a president who doesn't have much interest in defending them.

AMERICAblog News| A great nation deserves the truth: Obama blasts Dems in Congress for wanting to censure Joe "You Lie!" Wilson
    ... seriously? Jesus tittyfucking CHRIST.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

While this mini-Sista-Souljah may help Obama position himself as some kind of above-the-fray adult, it also makes it harder for Democrats in Congress to ge re-elected, and hold their majorities, next year. And at some point, Democrats in Congress may decide that it's more important to keep their own jobs, and hold their majority, than defend a president who doesn't have much interest in defending them.
    The one time Dems decide to show a little spine, Obama has a problem with it. Good grief.

Elite Member

Well, if he supports censure all the right-wingers are going to go off on their freedom of speech and Nazi bullshit, again. He's probably sick and tired of that shit and just wants to get on with business.

No, it's a congressional point of procedure, he broke the rules of the house and procedural punishment MUST be meted out to prevent it from happening again.

He just publicly called his own party a bunch of clowns with that "circus" comment.

How fucking stupid do you have to be to stab your own people in the back? You think they'll go to bat for you after you pull that shit, Failbama? If you want to bitch at your people, you do it PRIVATELY.. you don't fucking broadcast it!

God, what a fucking dumbshit.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Elite Member

Well, I agree with you but honestly I think he's trying to avoid backlash and more right-wing outrage. Which is pretty much the entire problem with his presidency.

It has gotten to the point of where I am embarrassed that I voted for this spineless kiss ass. I know I won't be making the same mistake twice.

Quote Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
    Well, if he supports censure all the right-wingers are going to go off on their freedom of speech and Nazi bullshit, again. He's probably sick and tired of that shit and just wants to get on with business.
    Exactly. The far-right have already made Joe Wilson a folk hero for his 'you lie' outburst. The Dems trying to censure him would just give the far-right more of a reason to turn Wilson into the poster child for the 'victimized Republicans.' Plus, they'd just twist it into a free speech issue and make it another distraction from healthcare.

Now, if Wilson had thrown a shoe at Obama, then that would be a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Exactly. The far-right have already made Joe Wilson a folk hero for his 'you lie' outburst. The Dems trying to censure him would just give the far-right more of a reason to turn Wilson into the poster child for the 'victimized Republicans.' Plus, they'd just twist it into a free speech issue and make it another distraction from healthcare.
    Yeah, unless Dems actually stood the fuck up for themselves for a change, and kept ON MESSAGE like they never do.

Instead, when some dems try to stand up for themselves they get slapped down again, thus telling the GOP that hey, they can do anything they want because there are absolutely no consequences once again.

Oh and like Obama gives a rats ass about "distracting" people from healthcare .. he ignored it the whole freaking summer!

Elite Member

Well, Obama is trying to stay on message. I can see why he's doing this--otherwise, it becomes about Joe Wilson and not about what Obama is trying to accomplish.

During the Bush administration and the past couple of presidential campaigns, every time someone kicked sand in the Dem's face they got distracted and lost focus. He's trying to prevent that.

uh, he probably should have not ignored the healthcare debate about 3 months ago when it mattered.

well, he's a smart man, but he's no leader. his handling of healthcare clearly shows that. he can give a great speech, and certainly has presence, but there are people who truly can lead. he isn't one of them.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

his presidential style is mimicking his campaign style.. say pretty words, and then sit back until disaster looms and then try and rush in and fix it at the last minute

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    uh, he probably should have not ignored the healthcare debate about 3 months ago when it mattered.
    And letting his Chief of Staff negotiate with health care companies in return for 2010 campaign donations.

*snort*

yeah that too.

Quote Originally Posted by BBDSP View Post
    Well, Obama is trying to stay on message. I can see why he's doing this--otherwise, it becomes about Joe Wilson and not about what Obama is trying to accomplish.

During the Bush administration and the past couple of presidential campaigns, every time someone kicked sand in the Dem's face they got distracted and lost focus. He's trying to prevent that.
    Exactly. Joe Wilson's outburst was designed to try and derail any conversation about healthcare. If the Dems start going after him, the GOP will make Wilson the topic of debate, just like the 'angry' town halls in August were the topic of conversation.

And, at this point, neither Obama or the Dems have had their shit together on healthcare. So, they need to focus ALL of their energies on trying to nail that down instead of worrying about Wilson, who will just be a footnote in history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information