Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thousands march to US Capitol to protest spending

Default Thousands march to US Capitol to protest spending

Thousands march to US Capitol to protest spending - Yahoo! News

WASHINGTON Tens of thousands of people marched to the U.S. Capitol on Saturday, carrying signs with slogans such as "Obamacare makes me sick" as they protested the president's health care plan and what they say is out-of-control spending.
    The line of protesters spread across Pennsylvania Avenue for blocks, all the way to the capitol, according to the D.C. Homeland Security and Emergency Management Agency. People were chanting "enough, enough" and "We the People." Others yelled "You lie, you lie!" and "Pelosi has to go," referring to California congresswoman Nancy Pelosi.
    Demonstrators waved U.S. flags and held signs reading "Go Green Recycle Congress" and "I'm Not Your ATM." Men wore colonial costumes as they listened to speakers who warned of "judgment day" Election Day 2010.
    Richard Brigle, 57, a Vietnam War veteran and former Teamster, came from Paw Paw, Mich. He said health care needs to be reformed but not according to President Barack Obama's plan.
    "My grandkids are going to be paying for this. It's going to cost too much money that we don't have," he said while marching, bracing himself with a wooden cane as he walked.
    FreedomWorks Foundation, a conservative organization led by former House Majority Leader Dick Armey, organized several groups from across the country for what they billed as a "March on Washington."
    Organizers say they built on momentum from the April "tea party" demonstrations held nationwide to protest tax policies, along with growing resentment over the economic stimulus packages and bank bailouts.
    Many protesters said they paid their own way to the event an ethic they believe should be applied to the government. They say unchecked spending on things like a government-run health insurance option could increase inflation and lead to economic ruin.
    Terri Hall, 45, of Starke, Fla., said she felt compelled to become political for the first time this year because she was upset by government spending.
    "Our government has lost sight of the powers they were granted," she said. She added that the deficit spending was out of control, and said she thought it was putting the country at risk.
    Lawmakers also supported the rally. Rep. Mike Pence, chairman of the House Republican Conference, said Americans want health care reform but they don't want a government takeover.
    "Republicans, Democrats and independents are stepping up and demanding we put our fiscal house in order," Pence, of Indiana, told The Associated Press.
    "I think the overriding message after years of borrowing, spending and bailouts is enough is enough."
    Norman Kennedy, 64, of Charleston, S.C., said he wants to send a message to federal lawmakers that America is "deeply in debt." He said though he'd like everyone to have free health care, he said there's no money to pay for it.
    "We want change and we're going to get change," Kennedy said. "I want to see fiscal responsibility and if that means changing Congress that will be a means to that end."
    Other sponsors of the rally include the Heartland Institute, Americans for Tax Reform and the Ayn Rand Center for Individuals Rights.

Seriously, these people are backwards as crap..where were they 2, 4, 6, 8 years ago?
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Exactly. I believe the last administration spent like drunken sailors and I don't recall hearing a peep.
    Enjoy the liquor and delicatessen.

They were interviewing people today from all across the board, each party. The main concensus is that they want the spending to stop. They were talking about over the last 5 years. But where were they then? A little late if you ask me. Damage has been done and looks like its going to continue
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

Quote Originally Posted by *DIVA! View Post
    Seriously, these people are backwards as crap..where were they 2, 4, 6, 8 years ago?
    Exactly. But, then again, the typical GOP strategy is to blame the Democrats for your failed policies. Clinton was blamed for 9/11, even though Dubya was asleep at the wheel. And now Obama gets blamed for running the economy into the ditch and expanding the size of government, despite Dubya doing both for the last 8 years.

And I love how the Tea Party crowd of 'average Americans' thinks that a public option and reforming the insurance companies are bad things.

Quote Originally Posted by *DIVA! View Post
    No friggin' kidding. And apparently they didn't listen to his speech either:
    all his spending is still less than 8 years of illegal war expenses (just the
    material stuff, not the thousands of US lives that were wasted in vain by
    those NeoCon asshats of the Shrub administration!)

Goddammit, I can't stand that so many US citizens (not from the backwoods
    but from cities for crying out loud) are so ignorant. I'm not for the death
    penalty but these idiots are almost too stupid to be alive!
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

The one thing I love about these tea parties is that the signs ALWAYS reveal the true motive. Especially this guy with the 'Glenn Beck is my hero' around his neck.

And I like how there's always one token minority in the crowd like the black guy in the bottom right.

^It's official: with scenes like this the US deserves never to be taken seriously again.
    These ignorant, racist, disrespectful windbags should be sent to Guantanamo
    and just be left there to get some education, not to be set free until they
    graduate on world history and world religions.

***** celeb

They don't believe in any religion except fundie Christianity. They don't believe any other religion has the right to exist. Not even Catholicism or Judaism.

Quote Originally Posted by HWBL View Post
    ^It's official: with scenes like this the US deserves never to be taken seriously again.
    These ignorant, racist, disrespectful windbags should be sent to Guantanamo
    and just be left there to get some education, not to be set free until they
    graduate on world history and world religions.
    Not defending these nutjobs, but I think the same thing we're seeing in the U.S. would happen in Europe or Canada if some person of color became prime minister or president. It's that fear/backlash against 'something different.'

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Not defending these nutjobs, but I think the same thing we're seeing in the U.S. would happen in Europe or Canada if some person of color became prime minister or president. It's that fear/backlash against 'something different.'
    No, I don't think it would happen in every European country. Can't speak
    for Canada. I think it might happen in Australia or New Zealand, too.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoAmI View Post
    All they're missing is their outfits:

It's depressing and disgusting, though. 2009, big progress, NOT.

***** celeb

Quote Originally Posted by HWBL View Post
    No, I don't think it would happen in every European country. Can't speak
    for Canada. I think it might happen in Australia or New Zealand, too.

It's depressing and disgusting, though. 2009, big progress, NOT.
    The one thing to look at with the U.S. is that out of 300 million people the nutjobs we're seeing are a small minority. A vocal minority, but still a minority. So, whether it was Europe or Canada, I think you'd still have that small segment of people that would lose their minds like the U.S.

And I still think we've made progress in 2009, but the nutjobs just show that there's still work to be done.

I hope we can organize 100,000 pro-healthcare reformists to Washington to confront htis fucking mob. Preferably with a few guns in their hands. Fuck being peaceful with these bigots and asswipes, they want to fight let's give it to them!

BTW, I if healthcare reform does happen then I want all these fuckers to get dropped from their healthcare plans and rot.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information