Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ACORN fires 2 after hidden-camera footage aired

Cool ACORN fires 2 after hidden-camera footage aired

Whoops!

ACORN fires 2 after hidden-camera footage aired - Yahoo! News

BALTIMORE – The group ACORN has fired two employees who were seen on hidden-camera video giving tax advice to a man posing as a pimp and a woman who pretended to be a prostitute.
    Fox News Channel broadcast excerpts from the video Thursday. On the video, a man and woman visiting ACORN's Baltimore office asked about buying a house and how to account on tax forms for the woman's income. An ACORN employee advised the woman to list her occupation as "performance artist."
    The pair also claimed they planned to employ teenage girls from central America as prostitutes, and an ACORN employee suggested that up to three of the girls could be claimed as dependents, according to transcripts of the video posted online by conservative activist James O'Keefe.
    O'Keefe told Fox he posed as the pimp and that he was shocked by the ACORN employees' helpfulness.
    In a statement, ACORN Maryland board member Margaret Williams said the video was an attempt to smear ACORN, and that undercover teams attempted similar setups in at least three other ACORN offices.
    Williams said no tax returns were filed and no assistance was provided.
    ACORN — which stands for the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now — advocates for poor people. It conducted a massive voter registration effort last year and became a target of conservatives when some employees were accused of submitting false registration forms with names such as "Mickey Mouse." ACORN has said only a handful of employees submitted false registration forms and did so in a bid to boost their pay.
    On its Web site, Fox News reported that the videotape was made public Thursday on a political blog, Big Government.

These 2 were bad apples, hope they weed them all out. They desreve to be fired
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

Once again, Fox News continues to make up the news.

Baltimore???
    Pimps?

Only Faux!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Well looks like the Census Bureau has cut its ties with Acorn. The pimp and the prostitute are activists that didnt even know Beck. It was Hannahs idea, walking by their office, had an idea and took it to James O'keefe is an independent filmaker. It wasnt something Fox made up. They did their own thing and posted it for all to see. 2nd tape has surfaced. 2 more fired. These workers are clearly promoting illegal activity, any one can see that. The Acorn worker was not even phased that underaged girls were going to be coming into our country and prostituting...They should have called the police. (They are promoting tax evasion. Writing off her grooming and clothing, blah blah blah)...They did not. No different than what 20/20 does. Its investegative reporting. May be a 3rd tape...
    Last edited by cupcake; September 11th, 2009 at 08:20 PM.
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

Senate Votes to Bar Funding for Acorn

The Senate voted on Monday to forbid Acorn, the antipoverty group frequently criticized by conservatives, from receiving federal housing grants from the Department of Housing and Urban Development.

The vote is the latest jolt of bad news for the group, formally known as the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now. The Census Bureau told Acorn last week that it no longer wanted the group’s assistance for the 2010 census, while a hidden camera recently caught Acorn employees giving tax advice to people who said they wanted to run a brothel.

The provision, which passed 83-7, was introduced as an amendment to a housing and transportation spending bill by Senator Mike Johanns, Republican of Nebraska, who said on the Senate floor that Acorn had received $53 million in federal funds since 1994.

“This is a strong message by the Senate, and I hope this vote, which rises above partisanship to do what is right, becomes the rule rather than the exception,” Mr. Johanns said in a statement released after the vote. “I will continue to work to see that Americans’ tax dollars will not go to support fraudulent organizations or activities.”

The House passed a version of the spending bill in July that does not deny Acorn access to the federal funds.

Acorn came under intense scrutiny — and Republican criticism — for its work registering voters in the 2008 election, because of registration forms bearing names like Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck.

More recently, Acorn employees in Washington, Baltimore and Brooklyn were caught on tape giving tax pointers and other advice to conservatives posing as a pimps and prostitutes.

Over the weekend, Bertha Lewis, Acorn’s chief organizer, lashed out at the group’s critics. “We are the boogeyman for the right-wing and its echo chambers. If Acorn did not exist, the right-wing would have needed to create us in order to achieve their agenda, their missions, their ideal, retrograde America,” she said in a statement.

After the vote, the National Republican Senatorial Committee released a statement slamming Senator Kirsten Gillibrand of New York, one of the seven senators who supported the bill.

The committee’s noted the recent Brooklyn video and said that Ms. Gillibrand’s New York colleague, Senator Charles E. Schumer, had voted to block Acorn from receiving the federal funding.

“With Acorn’s highly-publicized and potentially illegal activities taking place in her own state, why does Kirsten Gillibrand believe the tax dollars of hard working New Yorkers should continue to go to this controversial organization?” Brian Walsh, a spokesman for the committee., asked in the statement.

Matt Canter, a spokesman for Ms. Gillibrand, responded in a statement of his own that “while Senator Gillibrand finds the actions of certain Acorn employees to be reprehensible and will ask Acorn leaders for a full investigation and plan to prevent any further abuse, the truth remains that thousands of New York families who are facing foreclosure depend on charitable organizations like Acorn for assistance.”

Senate Votes to Bar Funding for Acorn - The Caucus Blog - NYTimes.com

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Another vidieo is being released on guess whos show tonight.
    Rip Mom

LOL even Jon Stewart ripped ACORN a new one on this

Jesus Christ, how fucking stupid can some people be?

The sad thing is, outside of this fuckery they probably do a lot of good.. all the up and up employees are probably looking at this like "What the FUCK". I kinda feel bad for THEM.

Otherwise, this shit should be shut the fuck DOWWWWWn
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Stewart was hilarious

“I’m a fake journalist, and I’m embarrassed these guys scooped me!”

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Once again, Fox News continues to make up the news.
    With all due respect (and I mean that sincerely, it's not sarcasm), we need to stop the knee jerk reaction that anything on Fox news is automatically made up. Acorn has been the subject of lots of accusations and this one isn't heresay. This journalism student went undercover and this is what happened. I've read the transcript and seent he video in it's entirety. Why can't people just admit that this group, even if you normally support them, fucked up royally? Supposedly there is even more footage that is supposed to come to light that was filmed in another office altogether.

The things I find most offensive about all of this:

1) Other media outlets have just conveniently overlooked this. A biased media is worthless at best and detrimental at worst and I am convinced journalism is dead. Everything is like some big editorial or an exerpt from the National Enquirer. This is one of the reasons I think Fox has such an overwhelming viewership compared to other cable news (not saying it doesn't sensationalize as well, just that it covers stories lots of mainstream media prefers to ignore). At least they had the guts to cover a story no one else would and i'll give credit where it is due.

2) These undercover reporters were very explicit that they were interested in bringing in 13 year old girls into this country to prostitute them. That is human trafficking and child rape and I am appalled that no one at Acorn batted an eye over that. Even if you believe prostitution should be legalized and regulated, these are children we are talking about and even if they were grown women being brought in there would be a very good possibility that they were unwilling kidnapped slaves. This offends me more than all the other crooked stuff like tax evasion.

The 20 year old journalism student is very well spoken and I think she has a great future in whatever she decides to do.
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crumpet, it's fairly common for other media outlets to ignore stories that are originated by other outlets. Because you are then acknowledging that they got the scoop and you didn't. Admittedly, this only works so far -- if it is a huge national story, then everyone will cover it.

The other thing is I haven't heard anything indicating that this is a systemic problem within ACORN, or just one loan screwed-up employee acting on her own. Nobody's closing down the local high school because the gym teacher molested a student. Or removing the Catholic Church's tax-exempt status because there is a pattern of priests molesting parishioners and being shuttled off to other parishes unpunished.

That is coupled with the fact that Fox has an axe to grind with ACORN, well before this incident, where they accused them of voter fraud (falsely) and resented their ability to get out the vote.

And Fox's coverage consists 50% of "why doesn't the other media cover this" which is just self-reinforcing its bond with its peculiarly insular audience.

To be fair, this is now 4 separate Acorn offices: Baltimore, DC, Brooklyn and San Bernadino. There are rumors of more to come.

In regard to the church, Acorn is not a church and while churches are tax exempt, Acorn recieves federal funds for operating. Bit of a difference there. State funding too- NY is now putting a freeze on Acorn funding until they investigate the story.

Fox may have axe to grind, but that doesn't mean there isn't a story here. Politics aside, if people are puzzled by the outrage that a tax-payer funded organization’s employees would assist what they thought to be brothel staffed with children then there’s something wrong with those particular people.

[quote=MohandasKGanja;1884435]Crumpet, it's fairly common for other media outlets to ignore stories that are originated by other outlets. Because you are then acknowledging that they got the scoop and you didn't. Admittedly, this only works so far -- if it is a huge national story, then everyone will cover it.

The other thing is I haven't heard anything indicating that this is a systemic problem within ACORN, or just one loan screwed-up employee acting on her own. Nobody's closing down the local high school because the gym teacher molested a student. Or removing the Catholic Church's tax-exempt status because there is a pattern of priests molesting parishioners and being shuttled off to other parishes unpunished.

That is coupled with the fact that Fox has an axe to grind with ACORN, well before this incident, where they accused them of voter fraud (falsely) and resented their ability to get out the vote.

And Fox's coverage consists 50% of "why doesn't the other media cover this" which is just self-reinforcing its bond with its peculiarly insular audience.[/quote]

Well, that insular audience is fucking huge and seems to be growing. I'm sure that it's because there are so many stupid people (that's the usual accusation) like Steve Forbes and the CEO of Whole Foods who also don't support this public option plan. I know it can be frustrating when someone doesn't share your point of view, especially over an issue that you feel is so important, but people really need to come up with something else besides 'stupid'. It's intellectually lazy if nothing else.

No, they're stupid. FOX news peddles stupid. They've been caught time and again outright lying to people who simply lap it up.

Give me a break. FOX is the epitome of stupid, ignorant, and baseless made up shit masquerading as news. To claim otherwise is to deny reality and historical fact.

They got lucky this time, and only because some kid took it upon himself and then sold it to FOX.

Also, Steve Forbes and that jackoff from Whole Food have a financial stake in seeing the public option fail, though i figured that was pretty obvious.

So stupid and self interested. Sounds like the usual FOX/GlennBeck/SeanHannity audience.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    No, they're stupid. FOX news peddles stupid. They've been caught time and again outright lying to people who simply lap it up.

Give me a break. FOX is the epitome of stupid, ignorant, and baseless made up shit masquerading as news. To claim otherwise is to deny reality and historical fact.

They got lucky this time, and only because some kid took it upon himself and then sold it to FOX.

Also, Steve Forbes and that jackoff from Whole Food have a financial stake in seeing the public option fail, though i figured that was pretty obvious.

So stupid and self interested. Sounds like the usual FOX/GlennBeck/SeanHannity audience.

They may be selfish, but not stupid.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information