Thread: Obama won't push public option: admin wants showdown with liberals to show 'strength'

Question Obama won't push public option: admin wants showdown with liberals to show 'strength'

This is starting to become a daily thing, and it's getting tiresome because there seems to be NO good news coming out of this guy at all anymore

Cave the GOP at every turn, but hey.. play "tough" with the people that elected you while the centrists abandon you in droves as a result.

Real winning strategy there. It's like the entire Obama admin is on crack.

Obama isn't going to push for the public option, top administration officials now tell Politico. So they're flip-flopping again. But worse yet, they're now saying they want to Sista Souljah Democratic lawmakers and the liberal base who are pushing Obama to keep his promises.

Considering it was the falling out with the liberal base that was the precursor to the public at large talking about whether the president has the backbone for the job, it's not entirely clearly how picking a larger fight with that base is somehow going to resuscitate Obama's sinking poll numbers, and damaged brand:

On health care, Obama’s willingness to forgo the public option is sure to anger his party’s liberal base. But some administration officials welcome a showdown with liberal lawmakers if they argue they would rather have no health care law than an incremental one. The confrontation would allow Obama to show he is willing to stare down his own party to get things done.

The goal of health care reform is supposed to be to pass a good bill, not to lift Obama's numbers for the next election. The very fact that people in the White House see public anger at Obama's broken promises as an "opportunity" is a large part of the problem. It's also a large part of the reason a lot of people are wondering whether Barack Obama is any different than any other politician who promised one thing then did what was politically expedient.

It's simply amazing that the strategy of trashing the base has now plunged Obama to 49% in the polls, reinvigorated a near-dead Republican party, split the once-unified Democratic party, and put the President's number one policy agenda in peril, and yet some in the White House think it's worked so well, they need to ramp it up some more. They don't seem to realize that the debate isn't over some arcane provision of legislation, it's over whether the President has the character needed to lead our country. Every time Team Obama has picked a fight with the left, they've lost, and the public perception of the president's character has suffered as a result. Americans don't respect someone who betrays their friends.

If the President thinks trashing the very people who got him into office is going to save his presidency, it's going to be a very ugly next couple of months, and a rather ugly four years for the Democratic party.

PS Apparently, with next week's "plan" that Obama will be offering on health care, none of it is really that big a deal, he's willing to drop all of it if Republicans want:

Obama's specifics will include many of the principles he has spelled out before, and aides did not want to telegraph make-or-break demands.

Then why offer it at all?

Back and forth, and back and forth does not a leader make.

AMERICAblog News| A great nation deserves the truth: Obama won't push for public option, administration officials want Obama to Sista Souljah Dems in Congress & liberal base
    flippety flop

I fail to see how pushing through reforms such as ending pre-existing conditions, ending life-time benefit caps, not allowing insurance companies to drop you if you get sick etc will do anything other than RAISE the cost of insurance without a public option being put in place along with the reforms.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

This is the best strategy they could come up with after an August filled with dipshit chumps screaming about death panels and other assorted bullshit? A public showdown with Pelosi and Reid, Firedoglake and the Daily Kos. That will show the American people who's boss! Yeah!
    Enjoy the liquor and delicatessen.

They don't seem to realize that the debate isn't over some arcane provision of legislation, it's over whether the President has the character needed to lead our country. Every time Team Obama has picked a fight with the left, they've lost, and the public perception of the president's character has suffered as a result. Americans don't respect someone who betrays their friends.
    What Rahm & Axelrod don't get is going to come back and chomp out their asses.

Of course he's not going to include a public option -- as DC's beltway class well knows, it's been gone for a long time. Those who deluded themselves into thinking he would veto a bill that didn't have one were -- well, deluded. Rahm and the Baucus Caucus dealt the public option away months ago in order to keep stakeholers at the negotiating tables, and from filling the coffers of Republicans in 2010.

The Blue Dogs (whose votes have been whipped by the White House who told them there will be no public plan) will make the House bill conform to whatever comes out of the Senate.

The White House is making the calculation that the hit they suffer when they drop the public plan is only with the "far left," that they can survive that and actually use it to their advantage by triangulating against "the blogs."

It's just a guess, but when average Americans understand that "health care reform" means they will be forced to pay Blue Cross more money than they do now for worse insurance or be fined 2.5% of their income, I have a feeling it's not just going to be a couple of radical lefties who are pissed off about what amounts to an increase in middle class taxes. Unfortunately, since all the liberal interest groups ceded the bank bailout debate to the teabaggers and there was no pushback against the White House's decision to coddle AIG, the right owns that particular real estate and will be well poised to make the most of it.

For us, the question becomes: what are we going to do? How much do we care, how hard are we going to push Democrats in the House, elected by solid Democratic majorities, to stand up to this railroading and defend the public option?

There are 55 members in D+10 districts who have not said that they will vote against any bill that does not have a strong public option. For me, sitting by and watching them help to bailout PhRMA and the insurance industry on the backs of the middle class, just when people are struggling to find decent jobs in the midst of a recession, is not an option.

We'll be looking into the campaign finance histories of these members, as well as their voting records, to try and ascertain if there are reasons they are not signing on that the public should know about.
    Campaign Silo ╗ White House Admits the Public Option is Gone, Will Sistah Soulja the Left

Then concede completely to the pitiful minority now, don't do anything...what they'll eventually screw us with will be far worse than what we have now (all in favor of the insurance companies, but hey let's throw in a tax cut for the top 1% again just for good measure). I am shamed.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Thread Information