Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Interesting analysis/videos/links about the healthcare crisis

Elite Member

Default Interesting analysis/videos/links about the healthcare crisis

Ran across this today and I am still looking through but it looks to have some good information. The 6 minute 20/20 video is kind of scathing in its criticism of nationalized healthcare in other countries. True/not true?

Popular Technology.net: The Anti Nationalized Health Care Resource

Does John Stossel still work for 20/20? And if so, did he host the segment?

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Ha ha ha, good question!! That guy is a prick.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Yes. Clearly this blogger has bias but I like to look at both sides of the argument.

Olbermann was warning about Stossel's special on Countdown a few weeks back.

Elite Member

Watch the 10 minute video on the uninsured and tell me what you guys think, please.

I haven't finished watching the "uninsured" video yet, but the first two minutes were pretty hyperbolic. "Why not outlaw the health insurance industry altogether?" No one is proposing that. When they start out, they only quote this girl's rent. Not what she pays for gas. Or food. Or any other costs she may have like student loans, car loans, etc. Sloppy. And her income is "untaxed?" Who believes this bullshit?

^tens of millions of stupid angry people who are controlling the healthcare debate because the powers that be aren't doing anything to slap them down.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

because they powers that be want people to blame the screaming idiots, instead of seeing the truth, which is that they sold out to the corporate masters.

the screaming idiots make a great smokescreen.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

anybody feeling the change or hope yet?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    because they powers that be want people to blame the screaming idiots, instead of seeing the truth, which is that they sold out to the corporate masters.

the screaming idiots make a great smokescreen.
    You know, I've been thinking that if the House Dems actually hold and get a "robust" public option through (yes, I know, it's a miracle-of-miracles-type possibility) that these screaming idiots are going to revolt in some way, prodded on by Glenn Beck & Rush, to start blowing shit up. I can just see it happening in October...

Quote Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
    Yes. Clearly this blogger has bias but I like to look at both sides of the argument.
    I respect your opinion, hotncmom, but not Stossel's. Stossel has, for years, made his bread and butter by pandering to, and being a paid speaker at, conferences of Birther types. If he said the sky was blue, I would rent a spectrometer to confirm it.

Elite Member

I realize they cherry pick their interview subjects, but in the uninsured video, there are people like this out there. The question is how many.

What percentage of the "working poor" are uninsured? What income is the top income to be considered poor in the U.S.? How do we make decisions about who is "rich" enough to afford insurance?

I realize they cherry pick their interview subjects, but in the uninsured video, there are people like this out there. The question is how many.
    If you realize that they're cherry-picking, then why are you still referring to this video? Do you realize that the "18 million" figure they quote for young people between 18-34 does not account for those that are still in college, aren't working full-time jobs and can't afford it? The video likes to make it look like health care is so cheap because they showed a picture citing a $96/month rate for a young person. A good health care policy will cost you, even if you're a young person who doesn't smoke 'n all at least $200/month. The $96/month rate is usually provided by a health care company that will stiff you the moment you need to be reimbursed for something or provide any kind of care.

What percentage of the "working poor" are uninsured? What income is the top income to be considered poor in the U.S.? How do we make decisions about who is "rich" enough to afford insurance?
    Ever stop to think about the millions who can't get it due to a "pre-existing condition?" And that many of those who fit into the categories provided in the video are priced-out of health care by the health care companies?

One great book about the working poor is 'Nickel and Dimed' Amazon.com: Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America (9780805063899): Barbara Ehrenreich: Books It doesn't have an exact percentage of how many people are uninsured but it does a damn good job showing why for millions of Americans it's downright impossible for them to even think about purchasing healthcare- through their employer or otherwise.

As for rich v. poor, I think that's irrelevant because brackets of income change where you live. $40k in nyc is poverty level but a good life in Montana. It shouldn't be about who qualifies for what- it should be about the availability and affordability of care.
    Enjoy the liquor and delicatessen.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information