Thread: Invasion by immigration

Default Invasion by immigration

Invasion by Immigration
    on August 12, 2009 2:15:47

Invasion by Immigration
    By Cal Thomas

Tribune Media Services
    PORTSTEWART, NORTHERN IRELAND — The Daily Telegraph’s headline is meant to shock, or at least get the attention of Europeans apathetic about the threat they face: “A Fifth of European Union Will Be Muslim by 2050.”
    In a related article “Muslim Europe: the Demographic Time Bomb Transforming Our Continent,” The Telegraph’s lead sentence summarizes the problem: “Britain and the rest of the European Union are ignoring a demographic time bomb: a recent rush into the EU by migrants, including millions of Muslims, will change the continent beyond recognition over the next two decades, and almost no policymakers are talking about it.”
    The late British parliamentarian Enoch Powell warned more than 40 years ago that Britain had to be mad to allow in 50,000 dependents of immigrants every year. Powell, who was denounced as a racist and a xenophobe by the intellectual elites, compared it to watching a nation busily engaged in heaping up its own funeral pyre.
    In retrospect, Powell looks like a prophet. According to Oxford demographer David Coleman, Britain’s non-white population is on course “to grow from 9 percent at the last census in 2001 to 29 percent by the year 2051.”
    Coleman estimates that if Britain continues at its current level of immigration — 191,000 per year by 1999 reports — its population could increase by 15 million by 2050, which will bring change most Britons don’t believe in.
    In his new book, “Reflections on the Revolution in Europe: Immigration, Islam and the West,” Financial Times and
    Weekly Standard columnist Christopher Caldwell lays out in undisputable terms and with irrefutable facts the threat faced by the West. He says it is worse than anything al-Qaida can deliver. Caldwell cites numerous reasons for the predicament faced by Europe (and the United States), including the idea of a European Union, which is quickly eliminating individual identity, culture and money (the one size fits all Euro). Without an identifiable culture, immigrants cannot be assimilated, even if they want to be, which in the case of radical Muslims, argues Caldwell, they don’t.
    In addition to massive immigration, Caldwell says, the high birth rate among immigrants, coupled with the low birth rate among white Europeans (barely enough in some countries to replace those who are dying) means that soon 20 percent of Europe’s population would be Muslim.
    The rapid population change, writes Caldwell, is startling when you consider that as recently as the mid-20th century there were virtually no Muslims in Western Europe. At the turn of this century, there were between 15 million and 17 million Muslims in Western Europe, including 5 million in France, 4 million in Germany and 2 million in Britain. What is the attraction of these countries, which to some Islamic minds are full of idolatry, hedonism and secularism? All one need do is listen to the radical sermons and the vitriolic statements of certain Islamic leaders and spokesmen and to the radical Islamic media. They say their goal is to subjugate Europe and America to their religion.
    At a recent conference near Chicago called “The Fall of Capitalism and the Rise of Islam,” Imam Jaleel Abdul Razek responded to a question from the audience about whether the U.S. Constitution or Sharia law should rule the United States when Islam is in control. Razek said Sharia would rule and that the Constitution would have to go.
    Caldwell writes that uncontrolled immigration without assimilation “exacts a steep price in freedom. The multiculturalism that has been Europe’s main way of managing mass immigration requires the sacrifice of liberties that natives once thought of as rights.”
    Those who support immigration without assimilation claim the West needs more brainy people to run their computers and discover cures for diseases. Why can’t our school systems produce more intelligent people without having to import them? More than “brains” are coming to the West. Those with a radical theological and political agenda are infiltrating us more effectively than our enemies of the 20th century ever dreamed of doing.
    Twice in the last century America has delivered Europe from homegrown evil. It won’t be able to do so again when that evil is imported and when America is dealing with immigration problems of its own.
    (Direct all MAIL for Cal Thomas to: Tribune Media Services, 2225 Kenmore Ave., Suite 114, Buffalo, N.Y. 14207. Readers may also e-mail Cal Thomas at tmseditors@tribune.com.

Cal Thomas Official Web Site - Invasion by Immigration

There is SO much wrong with that article that I don't know where to start.
    Free Charmed.

Where's Grimm?

Working???

Who is this Cal Thomas? Is he as rightwing & extreme as the Daily Telegraph? (Well, I guess he must be for posting that BS)
    Free Charmed.

^^If this is the Cal Thomas I'm thinking of, he's really conservative.

That article is so pathetic it's funny. Especially the part about Muslims using their religion to subjugate Europe & America. Isn't that what Christians did in every country they 'colonized' under the banner of manifest destiny?

Since the war in Iraq started there have been missionaries trying to convert people to Christianity. So, radicals exist on both sides.

But if you cut through all the crap in that article the writer is scared that 'the brown people' are going to take over.

I wonder how many people in the US who believe this crap actually know any muslim people? These idiots play on fear of people not actually knowing anyone.
    Also the jib about america "rescuing" europe? Maybe we should stop "america" landing in the UK when they're going to bomb places like Libia and therefore stop places like the UK being dragged into America's political messes (yeah, it'll never happen). If its such a PITA, maybe we should sort out our own messes & let the US do the same, especially when the dicator is one that it has installed...

And Yes, King, you are perfectly correct. There are fundimental Christians in Afganistan RIGHT NOW trying to subjugate... sorry "convert" people....

My friend & I were talking about this recently & she said that there are very few "professional" people (of colour) for her boys to use as role models & mentors - I grew up in a household that had lots of professional people in & out and they were of all difference races, religions, creeds, etc. I wonder if this is the difference because my folks were medical/adcademics and hers weren't (they were blue collar)..... Its interesting how different people see things....
    Oh yeah, did I mention that she lives in the US.... maybe that has a LOT to do with it?
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    Who is this Cal Thomas?
    The kind of guy where, if I see his name in the byline, I know that the "article" can simply be discarded as rubbish.
    "If you are not outraged, then you are not paying attention," Heather Heyer's facebook quote.

LOL! I wish I'd known that earlier - oh well, my blood pressure got a good work out!
    Free Charmed.

I wonder how many people in the US who believe this crap actually know any muslim people? These idiots play on fear of people not actually knowing anyone.
    Also the jib about america "rescuing" europe? Maybe we should stop "america" landing in the UK when they're going to bomb places like Libia and therefore stop places like the UK being dragged into America's political messes (yeah, it'll never happen). If its such a PITA, maybe we should sort out our own messes & let the US do the same, especially when the dicator is one that it has installed...

And Yes, King, you are perfectly correct. There are fundimental Christians in Afganistan RIGHT NOW trying to subjugate... sorry "convert" people....

My friend & I were talking about this recently & she said that there are very few "professional" people (of colour) for her boys to use as role models & mentors - I grew up in a household that had lots of professional people in & out and they were of all difference races, religions, creeds, etc. I wonder if this is the difference because my folks were medical/adcademics and hers weren't (they were blue collar)..... Its interesting how different people see things....
    Oh yeah, did I mention that she lives in the US.... maybe that has a LOT to do with it?
    Actually there are people in the U.S. who also raise a similar alarm, but for us it's mostly Hispanic illegal immigrants not necessarily Muslim or Middle Eastern in background. The end message being the same, that white people are becoming a minority. That's the key point, Muslims/Islam is just a code word, kind of like how some bigots played up Obama's supposed Islamic ties because it's more "acceptable" to 'hate' someone due to them being of Islamic background or religion vice color of their skin. Again these articles and commentaries are basically about the fear of whites the world over becoming a minority. Plain and simple.

Growing up the vast majority of people I knew weren't 'professionals.' But the greatest lessons that they all taught me as 'role models' was to get an education, have a strong work ethic and don't expect anyone to just hand you anything.

Novice, your friend should make sure that her boys have 'role models' like that around, and everything else will fall into place.

Quote Originally Posted by celeb_2006 View Post
    Actually there are people in the U.S. who also raise a similar alarm, but for us it's mostly Hispanic illegal immigrants not necessarily Muslim or Middle Eastern in background. The end message being the same, that white people are becoming a minority. That's the key point, Muslims/Islam is just a code word, kind of like how some bigots played up Obama's supposed Islamic ties because it's more "acceptable" to 'hate' someone due to them being of Islamic background or religion vice color of their skin. Again these articles and commentaries are basically about the fear of whites the world over becoming a minority. Plain and simple.
    Yep, it was like that when I lived in SOCA.

I do find it distrubing that my ex-British friend that lives in LA has to put up with all sorts of shit... and she's not muslim, just of indian descent. It truely disgusts me.
    Free Charmed.

See, the only problem I personally have with mass immigration (not so much on this side of the pond, because the americas are one big fat melting pot anyway) is that in the old world, there have been individual cultures with their own beliefs, social mores, traditions, styles, music, architecture.. a culture, basically, for thousands upon thousands of years. It's something that i don't think north americans really appreciate till they go overseas.

I would find it quite sad if instead of the rich, vibrant individual cultures there was this bland mishmash of crap, nothing identifiable.. almost a hobo cultural existence.

Given the birthrates in Europe, it's not some kind of fantasy that said cultures could be eventually subsumed, or morph into something unrecognizable, or be swamped out of existence.. at best you might get some sort of fusion. At worse, simply bred out of existence.

It's not so much the scary brown people as a concept that I find worrisome.. it's the lack of difference in what might finally come out of it once things meld to the point of being inseparable without the newcomers really embracing the society they join.

On this side of the pond, especially in the major cities, you have a big melting pot with small pockets of ethnic communities.. if it's done right, it's WONDERFUL. If there's a strong national sense, the newcomers assimilate into the bond of what the population thinks the nation should be, and they can partake in that and say "Yes, I am (insert nationality here), but i'm from this ethnicity".. that way, there's community and society, and we can all share the different music, and foods, and styles that come with each wave of new immigrants while still retaining the over-arching sense of what the nation is or should be.

It's when there is NO assimilation.. when people don't bother learning the language, feel no need to join the society and basically just try to carve into it with their own and supplant what's already there.. that's a problem.

(yes i'm aware of the irony given that's what whitey did to the natives, but whitey also spawned a ton of innovation when they finally got settled.. it wasn't just a repeat of Europe, it was something new.)
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    See, the only problem I personally have with mass immigration (not so much on this side of the pond, because the americas are one big fat melting pot anyway) is that in the old world, there have been individual cultures with their own beliefs, social mores, traditions, styles, music, architecture.. a culture, basically, for thousands upon thousands of years. It's something that i don't think north americans really appreciate till they go overseas.

I would find it quite sad if instead of the rich, vibrant individual cultures there was this bland mishmash of crap, nothing identifiable.. almost a hobo cultural existence.

Given the birthrates in Europe, it's not some kind of fantasy that said cultures could be eventually subsumed, or morph into something unrecognizable, or be swamped out of existence.. at best you might get some sort of fusion. At worse, simply bred out of existence.

It's not so much the scary brown people as a concept that I find worrisome.. it's the lack of difference in what might finally come out of it once things meld to the point of being inseparable without the newcomers really embracing the society they join.

On this side of the pond, especially in the major cities, you have a big melting pot with small pockets of ethnic communities.. if it's done right, it's WONDERFUL. If there's a strong national sense, the newcomers assimilate into the bond of what the population thinks the nation should be, and they can partake in that and say "Yes, I am (insert nationality here), but i'm from this ethnicity".. that way, there's community and society, and we can all share the different music, and foods, and styles that come with each wave of new immigrants while still retaining the over-arching sense of what the nation is or should be.

It's when there is NO assimilation.. when people don't bother learning the language, feel no need to join the society and basically just try to carve into it with their own and supplant what's already there.. that's a problem.

(yes i'm aware of the irony given that's what whitey did to the natives, but whitey also spawned a ton of innovation when they finally got settled.. it wasn't just a repeat of Europe, it was something new.)

I agree with this. My family and I kept our culture when we came to this country. But even so, we assimilated. Most people don't even know I'm not American unless they hear my name or look at me (it's weird how people can tell I'm an immigrant by how I look, even though I'm European). Idk, it's about adhering to the laws of your new country, but also respecting your roots and where you come from. In the end, I'm a product of both countries.

A lot of the recent Albanians who have come to Pennsylvania do NOT want to assimilate, and they think it's something to be proud of. My family came many years ago and we had to assimilate (in our workplace, in school). There was no question about it, it was a different time. But guess what? We still speak Albanian at home, I know how to write and read it better than most of the kids who grew up there despite coming here when I was four and getting no formal education, and we're very proud of our culture. Idk how to say this but there's a certain balance you have to achieve.

Also, I say this as a European Muslim lol. Most of us don't even practice it, so there's nothing to worry about sillly Christians.

dreaming about being on a lake in Ontario

That is my main concern in California. The hispanics, not all, don't want or need to assimilate. Many never learn to speak English. The Asians keep their culture and assimilate. Everyone loves the different cultures, it's just that we whiteys have a pitiful culture too.
    If I can't be a good example, then let me be a horrible warning.

Elite Member

Working???

Who is this Cal Thomas? Is he as rightwing & extreme as the Daily Telegraph? (Well, I guess he must be for posting that BS)
    Cal was vice President of the Moral Majority back in the 80s.

Thread Information