Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hillary Clinton: I'm secretary of state, not Bill

Default Hillary Clinton: I'm secretary of state, not Bill

Hillary Clinton: I'm secretary of state, not Bill - Yahoo! News

KINSHASA, Congo Hillary Clinton has a message for the world: It's not all about Bill.
    The secretary of state bristled Monday when as she heard it a Congolese university student asked what her husband thought about an international financial matter.
    She hadn't traveled to Africa to talk about her husband the ex-president. But even there, she couldn't escape his outsized shadow.
    She abruptly reclaimed the stage for herself.
    "My husband is not secretary of state, I am," she snapped. "I am not going to be channeling my husband."

Clinton's presence, so bold in her historic presidential candidacy against Barack Obama, has sometimes been hard to see in the months she's served as the supposed face and voice of U.S. foreign policy.
    The president's ambitious travels have overshadowed her, heavyweight special envoys have been assigned to the world's critical hotspots, Vice President Joe Biden has taken on assignments abroad and then last week her husband succeeded in a North Korean mission to free two journalists even as she landed in Africa on a seven-nation trip.
    "You want me to tell you what my husband thinks?" she asked incredulously when the student raised a question about a multibillion-dollar Chinese loan offer to Congo.
    "If you want my opinion, I will tell you my opinion," she said. "I am not going to be channeling my husband."
    The moderator quickly moved on.
    State Department officials said the student approached Clinton afterward and told her he had meant to ask what Obama, not Bill Clinton, thought about the Chinese loan. A senior Clinton aide said that Mrs. Clinton assured the student not to worry about it.
    The student's question, according to the State Department translation, went like this: "Thank you. Mrs. Clinton, weve all heard about the Chinese contracts in this country. The interference is from the World Bank against this contract. What does Mr. Clinton think through the mouth of Mrs. Clinton and what does Mr. Mutombo think on this situation? Thank you very much."
    It was unclear whether the French-speaking student or translator had erred. Either way, she was not pleased at the mention of her husband's name.
    The Clintons have always been a complicated couple. An accomplished lawyer and politician in her own right, Hillary Rodham Clinton has struggled for decades to balance her interests and ambitions against his. She has supported his career while looking to blaze a trail of her own at times proud of, and benefiting from, her husband's accomplishments, and at other times frustrated by his failings and his habit of overshadowing her, friends say.
    The biggest controversy of Bill Clinton's career an affair with a White House intern that led to impeachment proceedings engendered rare sympathy for his wife and helped her win a Senate seat. One of his biggest political miscues injecting race into her South Carolina primary with Obama helped seal her defeat in the 2008 Democratic primary.
    Since his presidency, Bill Clinton has spoken out about international financial and development aid to poor countries, one focus of his foundation's Clinton Global Initiative, making his opinion of interest abroad. But the stage in Kinshasa was his wife's, and she reacted instantly to a suggestion that he shared it.
    She had been sidelined for weeks after she fell on her way to the White House in June and fractured her elbow, requiring surgery. Her aides acknowledged her frustrations stemming from the injury, which made her miss out on going to Russia with Obama and attending several European conferences.
    But her aides and those in the White House have denied any rift or attempt to marginalize her.
    After returning to action following her injury, Clinton made a round of TV appearances and a rousing speech all in tune with Obama's priorities, but in her own voice.
    She then resumed her frenetic pace, traveling to India and Thailand and then to Africa.
    Hours after she left Washington for Africa a week ago, news broke that Bill Clinton had gone on a humanitarian mission to North Korea to win the release of Laura Ling and Euna Lee, two television journalists who had been arrested and sentenced to 12 years at hard labor.
    She arrived in Kenya to find herself peppered with questions about his secret mission.
    Clinton quickly recovered her cool Monday and moved on to other subjects. Just before the question that set off her anger, another student had asked if the U.S. and the West felt a need to apologize to the people of Congo for colonialism and postcolonial interference.
    That brought a pointed rebuttal as well.
    "I cannot excuse the past and I will not try," she said. "We can either think about the past and be imprisoned by it or we can decide we're going to have a better future and work to make it."

Hillary's stuck in a tough spot. As Secretary of State she should be the Clinton getting all of the press, but Bill keeps taking the spotlight. When she made her 1st trip to Asia, he was all over the news, and now he's getting all of the North Korea headlines.

I like Bill, but he's not happy playing the background to anybody's foreground, especially Hillary.

It shouldn't matter who gets the headlines (although apparently, it does), as long as they both "do their own thing" and do what's right for the country. I think it's a great idea that they can actually "tag team" each other and be in places in the world that need his or her particular talent. She will never be able to outrun his shadow anyway, so you might as well dance with it.

Goddamnit, I love Hilary more and more as time goes on. She gets so much shit for things that no one would blink an eye at if she were male. She would have made a fine President. *sigh*
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Elite Member

I think she's doing a great job as Sec. of State, but bristling about the Bill question doesn't help her (it probably doesn't hurt her much, but it's a negative).

Yeah but I feel for her. Its like being a higher-up in a company with a retired husband and at your every move people ask you, "what does your husband think about this?" I'd probably flip the fuck out too. She's powerful in her own right and its really demeaning to her to always have to answer questions about her husband, I doubt Bill would be put in the same position if the roles were reversed.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

Hit By Ban Bus!

Bill is an attention whore.

I laughed when I saw the footage on tv this morning, but I agree, no woman should ever be asked in a work situation "so, what does your husband think?"
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

So why did she send Bill to North Korea to free the journalists? Was she too busy?
    What I really want to know is whether it makes your poop glow in the dark after eating it! ~ Kittylady

^^Hillary didn't send Bill to North Korea. There were negotiations going on for months with North Korea, and originally Al Gore was going to go, but Little Kim nixed that idea.

Bill ended up going because he already had a previous history of negotiations with North Korea, and almost visited the country before he left office. And it was made clear before he went to North Korea that he was leaving with the journalists. Plus, both sides got what they wanted. Little Kim was able to save face and get a former president to visit, while the U.S. was able to get the journalists back without expending a lot of diplomatic/political capital.

Apparently the student meant to ask what Pres OBAMA thought--not Bill Clinton.

And hey, this chick has been all over the globe in the last few days, she's gotta be tired and semi jetlagged. Say what you want, but that would make me a tad bit testy.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Good for her. She's not an appendage any more than he is. The idiot who asked the question should be smacked.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

I think she's ridiculous, she was replying to a student not a diplomat, she must be really insecure to snap like that and show that even a kid question can vex her. And even if the student had meant that Bill's opinion carried more weight than hers, she should know when she visits people from different cultures that they can have a very different conception of a woman's role and it's not appropriate for a top diplomat to get in a tiff about it

^^^ totally agree.

I *just* saw a snippet of her remarks to the student and she was extremely snippy. I was actually surprised she didn't do the rubber neck thing. I read about it the other day and was like, "whatever," but reading the words and then actually hearing and seeing her say them made me want to say, "Back up, beeyotch." Woman or not, she looked like a person with a huge chip on her shoulder.

LOVE IT!

She said what had to be said, if that was in fact the question she was asked. That was the perfect bitchslap answer to a totally sexist question (again, if that was the correct translation).

She showed great restraint as far as I'm concerned, because my neck would be rolling around that stage.

But as a diplomat, she should understand that things can be changed in translation, especially across cultures and many languages. Perhaps have them repeat the question in order to let them rephrase or confirm that they said what you heard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information