Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Social networks help Republican racism go viral

Default Social networks help Republican racism go viral

(Disclaimer: I'm sure there are Democrat/liberal racists too, this article just focuses on republicans)

Social Networks Help Republican Racism Go Viral -- Daily Intel -- New York News Blog -- New York Magazine

July 1, 2009

The racism: After a friend elegantly declared, "obama bin lauden is the new terrorist....muslim is on there side...need to take this country back from all of these mad coons........and illegals" on the Facebook wall of Young Republican vice-chairman Audra Shay, Shay responded, eight minutes later, "You tell em Eric! lol."
    The apology: Shay claimed that her audible laughter was regarding an earlier comment, and that she doesn't condone "the use of racial slurs on my wall...It is not right to nor appropriate to talk that way and will not be accepted!

June 12, 2009

The racism: Another South Carolina GOP activist, Mike Green, tweeted the alleged joke, "JUST HEARD OBAMA IS GOING TO IMPOSE A 40% TAX ON ASPIRIN BECAUSE IT'S WHITE AND IT WORKS." And yes, it was, obnoxiously, entirely capitalized.
    The apology: The next day Green apologized and tweeted, "I realize that my comments were hurtful, wrong and have no place in civil discourse."

June 12, 2009

The racism: Longtime GOP activist and former South Carolina State Senate candidate Rusty Depass wrote on Facebook that an escaped gorilla was "just one of Michelle's ancestors -- probably harmless."
    The apology: Depass said that he was sorry, the joke was made in jest, and that he was referring to an apparently hilarious statement Michelle Obama made recently about humans being descended from apes. No such statement has been located.

May 28, 2009
    The racism:
    Sherri Goforth, an executive assistant for Tennessee state senator Diane Black, e-mailed a photo collage of America's presidents that portrays President Obama as a set of eyes in the darkness.
    The apology: Goforth was reprimanded but was allowed to keep her job. She apologized, but only for sending the e-mail to the wrong contact list, instead of, we assume, her list of racist friends. That's definitely a mix-up we would try to vigilantly avoid in the future.

April 27, 2009

The racism: On their website, the Republican Women of Clifton joked that Baskin Robbins had created a new ice-cream flavor named Barocky Road, which was half vanilla and half chocolate. But, this extended metaphor continues, the "vanilla portion of the mix is not openly advertised and usually denied as an ingredient," which doesn't even make any sense. Does "white woman from Kansas" ring any bells? It should.
    The apology: Laurie Hamilton, the site's webmaster, apologized after taking down the post. She noted, for the record, that Rocky Road is her favorite flavor.

Feb 25, 2009

The racism: Dean Grose, the mayor of Los Alamitos, California, thought a "small group of friends" -- including a black woman, not incidentally -- would get a kick out of an e-mail showing a watermelon patch growing on the White House lawn, and the caption, "No Easter egg hunt this year."
    The apology: Grose resigned after the ensuing uproar, apologized for his actions, and dubiously claimed that he was "unaware of the racial stereotype that black people like watermelons." It's unclear what, then, he thought the joke was.

January 30, 2009

The racism: After President Obama's inauguration, Carol Carter, a Republican state committeewoman in Florida, sent out an e-mail quipping "How can 2,000,000 blacks get into Washington, DC in 1 day in sub zero temps when 200,000 couldn't get out of New Orleans in 85 degree temps with four days notice?" The subject line, providing a truly dishonest assessment of the contents within, read, "Amazing!"
    The apology: Carter sent a follow-up e-mail expressing regret that her joke "was received in a negative manner." She also scolded whoever leaked the e-mail for not being "a team player," perhaps referring to Team White People. She resigned within a day of the news breaking, under pressure.

January 2009

The racism: Salvatore Ballarino, an appointed member of Staten Island's Community Education Council District 31, forwarded numerous, supposedly humorous, photo strips comparing black people to monkeys or excrement.
    The apology: At first defiant ("What are we becoming, a dictatorship? When they do away with the First Amendment, then somebody let me know"). Ballarino eventually resigned under pressure, and apologized. "It wasn't meant to hurt anybody. I understand why it did."

December 2008

The racism: As a Christmas present, Tennessee RNC chairman Chip Saltsman sent out a CD of political parody songs, including one called "Barack the Magic Negro," which was based on the title of a Los Angeles Times article of the same name.
    The apology: Saltsman refused to explicitly apologize for distributing the CD, instead blaming a media double-standard for the outcry. At the same time, though, he said he understood why people were offended. It was this lack of consistency that eventually led him to drop out of the RNC-chairman race the day before the vote.

November 5, 2008

The racism: South Carolina political consultant, and co-owner of the political website SC Hotline, Jeffrey Sewell, made an insightful Obama-Curious George comparison on Twitter the day after the election.
    The apology: None that we can find. Pretty much what you would expect from a man who uses this as his official "About Me" photo.

October 16, 2008

The racism: The classy October newsletter of the Chaffey Community Republican Women of San Bernadino, California, contained a food stamp depicting Obama as a donkey surrounded by things black people are supposed to enjoy eating.
    The apology: Club president and likely MENSA member Diane Fedele did the "I apologize to anyone who was offended" thing, and then claimed, implausibly, "Everyone eats those foods, it's not a racial thing."

The racism: At the Texas state GOP convention last June, one vendor sold this button asking, "If Obama is President will we still call it the White House?" Get it? Because he's black.
    The apology: Texas GOP director Hans Kliger claims that they don't check the merchandise that is sold, and he "wouldn't have let him sell it" had he known in advance. Left unanswered is what he thinks we should call the White House.

April 28, 2008

The racism: On sale at the Republican Party's booth at the Evergreen State Fair in Washington State around the time of the Pennsylvania primary was a three-dollar bill showing Obama wearing a Muslim headdress.
    The apology: Republican County Chair Geri Modrell said that while it was "not the policy of this party to use that low-level sense of humor," she wouldn't exert too much effort in finding the person responsible -- because she didn't want to alienate volunteers.

April 12, 2008

The racism: Kentucky Congressman Geoff Davis referred to 46-year-old adult man Barack Obama as "that boy" at a Lincoln Day dinner, as in, "That boy's finger does not need to be on the button."
    The apology: In a letter he personally delivered to Obama, Davis apologized for what he graciously deemed his "poor choice of words."

In a strange way, it's almost a good thing that the racists are letting their true colors show. Even though it shows that things are going to get rougher for a time, it forces people on the right side of history to stand their ground and fight back.

Ehh, idk. I've made some jokes about Obama. Don't get me wrong, I think the man is VERY smart and a great choice for President, but still, I make jokes. Maybe not racial jokes like this, but still, freedom of speech, right? I make jokes about immigrants ALL the time (legal and illegal), and I'm one myself. Does that make me racist to myself?

Some people need to calm down. Some of my Black friends have made jokes about Obama and even themselves and we've laughed. I make some 3rd world country jokes about my own country. I don't really see the big deal. Although, I will admit, I think some of those DO go too far, and definitely shouldn't be made by people who are representing a corporation or political office.

these people aren't doing it in jest.

That's the difference.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by oltifreakinbaby View Post
    Ehh, idk. I've made some jokes about Obama. Don't get me wrong, I think the man is VERY smart and a great choice for President, but still, I make jokes. Maybe not racial jokes like this, but still, freedom of speech, right? I make jokes about immigrants ALL the time (legal and illegal), and I'm one myself. Does that make me racist to myself?

Some people need to calm down. Some of my Black friends have made jokes about Obama and even themselves and we've laughed. I make some 3rd world country jokes about my own country. I don't really see the big deal. Although, I will admit, I think some of those DO go too far, and definitely shouldn't be made by people who are representing a corporation or political office.

You sound very confused..

I have no problem with people making jokes about Obama. He's open to jokes like anybody else. Hell, I laugh at the jokes Bill Maher, Jon Stewart and Steven Colbert make about Obama. But there's a HUGE difference between a joke that's meant to be un-P.C./funny and a joke that's designed to be funny to ONLY racists & offensive to everyone else.

Case in point, one of my friends who happens to be a white cop was bitching and moaning about Obama and said 'jokingly' "Look at Obama, doesn't he look like a monkey?" Naturally, I got pissed off at the 'monkey ' comment and asked him what the fuck his problem was. And I had to make it clear in no uncertain terms that the 'monkey' term was racist and out of line. Period.

^Yeah, no kidding. Those jokes are not even subtly racist, they're absolutely disgusting.
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

The issue here isn't whether one is too sensitive.. it's fucking racist is what it is. Political incorrectness is tongue-in-cheek and this goes far beyond that. Call me weird or too sensitive, but I don't find most of these humorous at all. What's more frightening, though, is that people in positions of authority are openly making these jokes on the internet.. in front of a wide audience.. and only apologizing when they get called out on it.

Do some people really need to calm down? These "jokes" are being heard all over this country and somewhere in some trailer park is a Billy Bob who is angered that there is a black President in his beautiful White House and these jokes are only going to incite more anger. People need to stop hiding behind "it is only a joke" and take responsibility for the garbage they put into this world. These are not just funny harmless jokes, they are hurtful and hateful and the fact that you don't see the difference only shows you for what you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Aella View Post
    ^Yeah, no kidding. Those jokes are not even subtly racist, they're absolutely disgusting.
    I agree 100%! This should be bumped up!

Quote Originally Posted by My2Cents View Post
    Do some people really need to calm down? These "jokes" are being heard all over this country and somewhere in some trailer park is a Billy Bob who is angered that there is a black President in his beautiful White House and these jokes are only going to incite more anger. People need to stop hiding behind "it is only a joke" and take responsibility for the garbage they put into this world. These are not just funny harmless jokes, they are hurtful and hateful and the fact that you don't see the difference only shows you for what you are.
    So when I make jokes about how my own country (not the US, but relatively 3rd world until a few years ago) just got electricity, I'm being racist to myself? When I joke with my friend Kayla that her hair is really weave and we have an ongoing joke about it, I'm being racist to her? Really?

True, if these jokes do incite violence, then they're wrong. And they shouldn't be on the internet and made by people in positions of power. But I really can't fault someone for making jokes if they're in their own homes, with their friends, or whatever. Sometimes, it really is only a joke. Not everybody is a secret racist. (NOTE: I don't necessarily mean these jokes either. I found some of them disgusting too).

And kingcap, sorry, idk how to double quote. But I definitely agree with you about how far to take a joke. There's just some lines people shouldn't cross. But you know what? People have crossed those lines with me sometimes, and although it made me a little mad, I didn't get overly angry about it. Idk, maybe I personally don't take things too seriously.

So when I make jokes about how my own country (not the US, but relatively 3rd world until a few years ago) just got electricity, I'm being racist to myself? When I joke with my friend Kayla that her hair is really weave and we have an ongoing joke about it, I'm being racist to her? Really?

True, if these jokes do incite violence, then they're wrong. And they shouldn't be on the internet. But I really can't fault someone for making jokes if they're in their own homes, with their friends, or whatever. Sometimes, it really is only a joke. Not everybody is a secret racist.

And kingcap, sorry, idk how to double quote. But I definitely agree with you about how far to take a joke. There's just some lines people shouldn't cross. But you know what? People have crossed those lines with me sometimes, and although it made me a little mad, I didn't get overly angry about it. Idk, maybe I personally don't take things too seriously.
    The kinds of jokes your black "friends" let you get away with is btwn you and them. When people who are in government make racist and hateful jokes it is not funny and it is OUR business. We pay them to represent ALL of us and MOST of them make these jokes on OUR dime. btw, I would be careful who you "joke" with, not all people have the same sense of humor....

Quote Originally Posted by My2Cents View Post
    The kinds of jokes your black "friends" let you get away with is btwn you and them. When people who are in government make racist and hateful jokes it is not funny and it is OUR business. We pay them to represent ALL of us and MOST of them make these jokes on OUR dime. btw, I would be careful who you "joke" with, not all people have the same sense of humor....

I agree with this completely. I even said the same thing in my original post. People in positions of power who are being paid by the tax payers should never make jokes like this. What they do in their own homes is none of my business.

And don't worry. I'd never be friends with somebody who took everything in life so seriously.

There have been times when people have crossed a line, or come close to it, and I didn't get overly angry about it, either. But sometimes you have to get angry, just so people will know that you're serious.

Now, personally, I hate political correctness, because I think it's a good idea that went wrong. But there is that line between being un-P.C. and outright racist.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    There have been times when people have crossed a line, or come close to it, and I didn't get overly angry about it, either. But sometimes you have to get angry, just so people will know that you're serious.

Now, personally, I hate political correctness, because I think it's a good idea that went wrong. But there is that line between being un-P.C. and outright racist.
    A friend of my husband crossed that line at a BBQ last Saturday. I was so disgusted that I told him it wasn't funny. Most people laughed because they were not comfortable but I couldn't do it. I had to tell him that it was not funny and it was not acceptable. There is a difference but there are many who don't know where the line is and they will cross it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information