Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ohio legislator’s bill dictates that men should have final say on abortion

Default Ohio legislator’s bill dictates that men should have final say on abortion

Unbelievable!!

State Rep. John Adams (R-OH) has re-introduced radical legislation that would prevent a woman from having an abortion until she gets written consent from the biological father. As proposed, the bill triggers criminal penalties against women for “providing a false biological father.” Adams says the “first-degree misdemeanor” would be punishable with up to “six months” in jail and a “$1,000 fine.” Labeled by Adams as a “father’s right bill,” the lawmaker would give men the final say on abortion in the state of Ohio:

In the case where the father isn’t known, House Bill 252 would compel the woman to provide a list of names of people who may be the father in an effort to determine paternity. The bill also would make it a crime for women to lie about who the father is, and make it illegal for doctors to perform abortions without the father’s consent.

The bill would force a woman to have a child if the father does not agree to an abortion.

“That child should be born, not killed,” Adams said.

Adams first introduced the legislation in 2007. Already, this bill has at least 15 co-sponsors. Pro-Choice Ohio issued a statement saying Adams’ bill “is a clear attack on a woman’s freedom and privacy.” AJ at Feminists For Choice says the bill is “another mechanism for demonizing and isolating women who have sex.” (HT: Pam’s House Blend)

Think Progress » Ohio legislator’s bill dictates that men should have final say on abortion.

Written consent from the father? Criminal penalties? When did we become the Middle East?

And, naturally, it's a Repug introducing this bill.

Cases like this have been shot down in court numerous times, so I doubt this will pass.

Although, I must say, the philisophical question this has always raised for me is this: If a woman wants an abortion, I support her right to it without question, regardless of the father's wishes.

But when a woman doesn't want an abortion (for an unintentional pregnancy) but the man doesn't want the child, why do we force him to support that child. It leaves him with no choice in the matter, but a financial responsiblity.

Just thinking out loud....It's just a question that has always interested me.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Written consent from the father? Criminal penalties? When did we become the Middle East?

And, naturally, it's a Repug introducing this bill.
    Yep, yet another attempt to return to the days when women had no rights and men had all the power and control.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Cases like this have been shot down in court numerous times, so I doubt this will pass.

Although, I must say, the philisophical question this has always raised for me is this: If a woman wants an abortion, I support her right to it without question, regardless of the father's wishes.

But when a woman doesn't want an abortion (for an unintentional pregnancy) but the man doesn't want the child, why do we force him to support that child. It leaves him with no choice in the matter, but a financial responsiblity.

I totally agree with you!! I think it's terribly unfair to force a man to pay child support if having the child was not a mutual decision. If a woman decides to carry out a pregnancy against the father's wishes, she should be solely responsible for the kid, in every way.
    Last edited by Tati; July 30th, 2009 at 07:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post

i've thought about this before and this is my take on it:
    i agree it's unfair. however, it's also unfair that we got stuck with menstrual cycles and uteri and the full physical responsibility of child-bearing so the least we could get is final say in whether or not we go through with the pregnancy and once the kid is there, the guy at least has to help pay for it. it sucks for men, but they also get to stick it anywhere without worrying about getting pregnant and having to get abortions and we're the ones who end up getting fat and sacrificing careers or putting them on hold and we get stuck doing most of the childrearing and all that crap, so in the end i think it's pretty much even. actually, the worst that can happen to a guy is he has to send a chick money every month so actually maybe they still come out winning.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Men should have final say when they can carry the child to term themselves.

Other than that, I suppose it would be nice if the father COULD have a say but the reality is he has nothing personal at stake. His life isn't risked, nor his biological processes.

This bill is insane. Forced pregnancy nazis, and of course a "conservative" put it forward. Old white men strike again.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Oh geeeeeeeeeez.

Elite Member

If a woman want the keep the baby the father have nothing to say legally and he must pay child support even if he dosent want to become a father and if a woman dosent want the baby she can have an abortion and the father have nothing to say legally even if he want the baby and he can raise him by himself.

The fathers have zero fower on something that is life changing event so i can understand his motives even if i disagree with the way.

^^^^
    like i said, i'm willing to let them decide on abortion, as soon as they can carry a pregnancy themselves. if i could, i would gladly hand over the power to make that decision, if they also took my period, PMS and all the pregnancy crap.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by marie View Post
    If a woman want the keep the baby the father have nothing to say legally and he must pay child support even if he dosent want to become a father and if a woman dosent want the baby she can have an abortion and the father have nothing to say legally even if he want the baby and he can raise him by himself.

The fathers have zero fower on something that is life changing event so i can understand his motives even if i disagree with the way.
    Zero? If he doesn't want a child he can wear a condom or get a vasectomy if the decision is permanent. If he does want a child, he can discuss it with the woman beforehand to see if she is likeminded.
    "But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

"Trump is, in my opinion, the first woman president of the United States." -- Roseanne Barr

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    Zero? If he doesn't want a child he can wear a condom or get a vasectomy if the decision is permanent. If he does want a child, he can discuss it with the woman beforehand to see if she is likeminded.
    Twitchy, my son's ex poked holes in his condoms and and lied to him about taking the pill. She told him since she's on the pill, he did not need condoms. He absolutely does not want children, so he elected to use condoms anyway and she sabotaged them. They got divorced over this, and luckily she did not end up pregnant. He is way too young for a vasectomy, mid-20's. No doc will touch him. It would have been so unfair for him to be trapped into fatherhood when he does not want it, and took precautions to avoid it.

^^^A lot of anti-choice types say that women should keep their legs closed if they don't want to be forced to bear a child. Same for men, I think. If they want to be 100% sure they won't knock anybody up, they can keep it in their pants.

^^^ That's totally unrealistic. Most people have sex drives, no getting around that. And just because your partner is an asshole who can't be trusted doesn't mean you should have to be a parent if you don't want to be.

I agree, but women are told to do it all the time. If it was turned around on men and they were told to do the same, they'd realize how ridiculous and unrealistic it was.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoAmI View Post
    I agree, but women are told to do it all the time. If it was turned around on men and they were told to do the same, they'd realize how ridiculous and unrealistic it was.
    Yes, that IS true.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information