Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dick Durbin: No health care vote before the recess

Default Dick Durbin: No health care vote before the recess

Durbin: No pre-recess vote on healthcare

Senate Majority Whip Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) on Wednesday acknowledged for the first time that a pre-recess vote on healthcare reform is unlikely.

“We’re going to take a little longer to get it right,” Durbin told The Hill when asked about the oft-stated goal of a vote on or before Aug. 7, when a monthlong Senate recess begins. “Initially we had hoped for a full vote by then, but I don’t think it’s going to be possible.”

Delaying the vote until after Labor Day would all but erase hopes of getting a bill to President Obama by mid-October, since the House and Senate versions would have to be reconciled in conference negotiations — assuming they pass their chambers.

Durbin said the bill was still largely on track, however, denying that momentum has stalled.

"I don't think so," he said. "This is a complex challenge, and we're taking a reasonable approach with it. It would be better if some Republicans joined us instead of just criticizing."

Asked Tuesday about the pre-recess deadline, Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) had stuck to it, telling reporters “my desire is to get it done this work period … But the goal is not a deadline. The goal is comprehensive healthcare reform. People out there need it.”

The realities of the Senate’s next few weeks makes Durbin’s position understandable. The Senate Finance Committee is now not expected to finish its markup of its healthcare bill until next week, at which point it would have to be reconciled with the version passed last week by the Health, Education, Labor and Pensions (HELP) Committee.

What is likely, according to Democratic aides, is to have the unified version of that bill introduced on the floor before the recess, even if it is not brought to a final vote.

But approximately 80 amendments are expected to the bill, which would take up several days of debate.

TheHill.com - Durbin: No pre-recess vote on healthcare
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

PELOSI: WE COULD WORK THROUGH RECESS

Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi said Wednesday that Democrats are getting increasingly close to a health care reform vote on the House floor and need to seize the moment, and she pledged to work through recess if need be.

"I always call Washington the city of the perishable. When you've got the votes, you take the vote," she said, punching her left hand hard with her right, "Because if you think you're going to wait around until you get more of this or that -- you just never know what happens."
    Pelosi was interviewed Wednesday afternoon by reporters from the Huffington Post, Washington Post and The Nation magazine. Earlier Wednesday, she had assured reporters that she had the votes to pass the health care overhaul, a prediction she repeated in her later interview.

Conservative Democrats in the Senate have been watching their House counterparts, the Blue Dogs, closely as each side pushes for delay in their respective chambers. The GOP has said that the path to killing the bill runs through August, and that if it can be delayed, it is more likely that it can be taken down.

Pelosi (D-Calif.) said some kind of announcement from the Senate Finance Committee would help with negotiations with the Blue Dogs in the House. "I think that some of the negotiations that are going on now will be facilitated by the Senate doing something, because it removes some questions as to what are they doing? What is it that they are doing? I say that respectfully," she said.

When she was asked if the Senate might take that statement as license for delay, she said that it was meant to be the opposite. "I think that they should take it as more pressure for them to go forward, because this could be a chicken and egg forever. And we're not ever going to be a chicken," she said.

Staying in session through August was an option, she said, if that's what it takes to get the bill done. "My view is we're just about there and that it would be better for us to go before the recess. The idea that we should stay here until it is done is one that I'm okay with. The only thing is, if we're done, and they're not done and they're gone, what is the point? It's interesting to me that people are saying, 'Don't leave until it's done.' I don't know how much more we can do if the Senate is not going to move."

The Senate is scheduled to be in session one week longer than the House. "They could come out with something in the next 24 hours," said Pelosi. "I'd be a little more concerned if it were next Wednesday and they still hadn't shown anything, but they have another week."

Pelosi: We Could Work Through Recess

damn, if they work through recess I don't get to see Arlen Specter stumbling out of the restaurants on LBI

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

DO IT, you fucking bitch. If you take time off that just means more time for the opponents to shut you down.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Elite Member

What do you guys think about this?

I met with my financial planner this week and we were discussing the healthcare proposal. Her husband is a small business owner and she knows many more. She said they don't provide healthcare but pay a healthy salary to their employees...and that the proposal was going to force them to buy healthcare coverage or put up 7-8% of payroll. She said if that happens they will just lay off. She said they are really trying not to lay off despite the economy, that her husband is taking a pay cut so that he can keep people employed. I asked her if those employees were able to get affordable coverage on their own and she said yes.

I have heard the same thing over and over from small business owners threatening layoffs if this happens and I don't know what to think.

I didn't think they would get a vote on this before the August recess anyway. Most estimates were that it wouldn't get voted on until September or October anyway.

Is it true it wont be implemented until 2013?
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

HEALTHCARE DEADLINE A DOUBLE EDGED SWORD FOR OBAMA

Speaking in the Rose Garden Tuesday, President Obama demanded "action over inaction" on health-care reform. But does that action have to happen by Aug. 7?

As Obama himself has said, without deadlines, "nothing gets done in this town." Absent the urgency of a defined timeframe, the House and Senate could well have punted on health care by now. But at the same time, the White House's insistence on a deadline has helped fuel the current, widespread storyline that the reform effort is struggling. Is it true that health care reform is further along on the Hill than it has been in decades? Yes, but that's not the barometer the administration has established for itself. Because Obama has imposed a deadline and stuck to it publicly, it will look like a setback for him if and when Congress fails to meet it. Obama holds a press conference tonight at 8 p.m. ET, and both foes and allies will be watching to see if he starts laying the groundwork for an extension of the deadline.

That debate over timing arises as yet another day dawns dominated by Democratic divisions on health care. The Senate Finance Committee, at least, believes it can finish a bill before Obama's deadline. In the House, Henry Waxman struck a deal Tuesday with the Blue Dogs on giving an outside panel the authority to cut government health-care costs, though Politico calls the agreement "a pint-sized breakthrough in an ocean of concern" and "a concession to one subgroup ... that's likely to inflame others." The New York Times goes big-picture, saying Obama is at a "pivotal moment," as his handling of health care "over the next several weeks could shape the rest of his presidency, shedding light on his political strength, his relationship with both parties in Congress and his appetite to fight for his own agenda." Is that all?

Health-Care Deadline a Double-Edged Sword for Obama | 44 | washingtonpost.com

I want to know for a fact that my insurance coverage is not going to go up. Of course the rates do go up but there is talk that it could go up as much as $400 per person. I just want the facts, plain and simple, I dont want any surprises down the road
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

Quote Originally Posted by cupcake View Post
    I want to know for a fact that my insurance coverage is not going to go up. Of course the rates do go up but there is talk that it could go up as much as $400 per person. I just want the facts, plain and simple, I dont want any surprises down the road
    I don't think your personal insurance rates have anything to do with the government plan. Those are two separate things. It wouldn't make any sense for private insurance rates to go up $400 per person, if there's a public plan. But the people lobbying against a public plan are just trying to scare the hell out of everybody.

I believe it, so much out there its hard to know whats going to happen and what isnt. Its hard to trust anyone
    Rip Mom

That's true. Everybody knows that healthcare is screwed up, but you don't know who & what to believe on either side of the debate. But the system needs to be changed, anybody who says it doesn't is just somebody who is profiting from the current system.

FOR sure. Its a wreck!!!
    Rip Mom

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    But the people lobbying against a public plan are just trying to scare the hell out of everybody.
    That's what I think as well. It's Harry and Louise again.

Quote Originally Posted by visitor42 View Post
    That's what I think as well. It's Harry and Louise again.
    Ironically, Harry & Louise are supporting healthcare reform this time around.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Ironically, Harry & Louise are supporting healthcare reform this time around.
    I saw that. Maybe it's because they are older now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information