Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: President Obama's emotional NAACP speech

  1. #1
    Elite Member *DIVA!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    15,762

    Default President Obama's emotional NAACP speech

    NEW YORK - President Barack Obama on Thursday traced his historic rise to power to the vigor and valor of black civil rights leaders, telling the NAACP that the sacrifice of others "began the journey that has led me here." The nation's first black president bluntly warned, though, that racial barriers persist.

    "Make no mistake: The pain of discrimination is still felt in America," the president said in honoring the organization's 100th convention.

    White House aides said the President had been working on the speech for two weeks. Obama urged African-Americans to be realistic about some of the difficulties they may face, but to remember that "your destiny is in your hands."

    "We've got to say to our children, Yes, if you're African American, the odds of growing up amid crime and gangs are higher. Yes, if you live in a poor neighborhood, you will face challenges that someone in a wealthy suburb does not have to face. That's not a reason to get bad grades, that's not a reason to cut class, that's not a reason to give up on your education and drop out of school," he said. "No one has written your destiny for you. Your destiny is in your hands - and don't you forget that."

    "No excuses. No excuses," Obama added, verging off his prepared remarks. "You get that education. All those hardships will just make you stronger, better able to compete. Yes, we can."

    Painting himself as the beneficiary of the NAACP's work, Obama cited historical figures from W.E.B. DuBois to Thurgood Marshall to explain how the path to the presidency was cleared by visionaries.

    Obama's remarks, steeped in his personal biography as the son of a white mother from Kansas and black father from Kenya, challenged the audience -- those in the room and those beyond -- to take greater responsibility for their own future. He told parents to take a more active role and residents to pay better attention to their schools.
    Rousing up a friendly crowd, Obama made his first speech so directly linked with race since he took office; the White House says he worked on it for about two weeks. Implicit in his appearance: He is seeking the backing of the powerful NAACP and its members for his ambitious domestic agenda.

    The president said that in the current down economy, blacks are suffering high unemployment and are afflicted with more diseases but are less likely to own health insurance. He said that the African-American child is about five times as likely as a white child to be sent to jail.

    Obama touted education as essential to improving the lives of all children. He said the state of schools is an American problem, not an African-American one.
    "You know what I'm talking about. There's a reason the story of the civil rights movement was written in our schools. There's a reason Thurgood Marshall took up the cause of Linda Brown. There's a reason the Little Rock Nine defied a governor and a mob," Obama said. "It's because there is no stronger weapon against inequality and no better path to opportunity than an education that can unlock a child's God-given potential."

    "We have to say to our children, `Yes, if you're African-American, the odds of growing up amid crime and gangs are higher. Yes, if you live in a poor neighborhood, you will face challenges that someone in a wealthy suburb does not,'" Obama said, returning to his tough-love message familiar from his two-year presidential campaign.

    "But that's not a reason to get bad grades, that's not a reason to cut class, that's not a reason to give up on your education and drop out of school," he said. "No one has written your destiny for you. Your destiny is in your hands and don't you forget that."

    Obama expanded his message of equal rights beyond the black communities. He said many Americans still face discrimination.

    Racism, he said, is felt "by African-American women paid less for doing the same work as colleagues of a different color and gender. By Latinos made to feel unwelcome in their own country. By Muslim Americans viewed with suspicion for simply kneeling down to pray. By our gay brothers and sisters, still taunted, still attacked, still denied their rights."

    Obama also pressed for NAACP members to encourage their young people to find new role models beyond sports or music.

    "I want them aspiring to be scientists and engineers, doctors and teachers, not just ballers and rappers," Obama said. "I want them aspiring to be a Supreme Court justice. I want them aspiring to be president of the United States."

    To bolster his argument that it's within their reach, he cited his own biography, growing up with a single mother.

    "I don't come from a lot of wealth. I got into my share of trouble as a kid. My life could easily have taken a turn for the worse. But that mother of mine gave me love; she pushed me, and cared about my education; she took no lip and taught me right from wrong," Obama said.

    "Because of her, I had a chance to make the most of my abilities. I had the chance to make the most of my opportunities. I had the chance to make the most of life."
    Obama NAACP Speech (VIDEO): "Your Destiny Is In Your Hands... No Excuses"


    I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

  2. #2
    Elite Member kingcap72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    10 miles from Pootie Tang
    Posts
    21,909

    Default

    I saw some of this speech on TV. Really good. I like how Obama switches into preacher mode when he's talking to a black audience.

  3. #3
    Elite Member *DIVA!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    15,762

    Default

    I do to... Chris Matthews ate it up.

    It was a pretty good speech. Sure it will upset some folks.


    I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

  4. #4
    Elite Member kingcap72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    10 miles from Pootie Tang
    Posts
    21,909

    Default

    Some folks are already upset.

    Campbell Brown had a forum on her show after the speech. And they mentioned how some black people were upset that Obama's not doing more to combat unemployment in the black & latino community. Once again, people expect Obama to make one specific group the priority while the country falls apart. Ain't gonna happen.
    Last edited by kingcap72; July 16th, 2009 at 11:45 PM.

  5. #5
    Elite Member MrsMarsters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    HELL
    Posts
    7,238

    Default

    I think some people expect him to wave his hands or snap his fingers and you know end unemployment and stuffz.

  6. #6
    Elite Member Grimmlok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    In WhoreLand fucking your MOM
    Posts
    55,359

    Default

    I think it's cute that he feels discrimination still exists, after his DOJ compared gay relationships to pedophilia and incest and gay soldiers are still being fired.

    Cry some more crocodile tears, you fucking fraud.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

  7. #7
    Elite Member kingcap72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    10 miles from Pootie Tang
    Posts
    21,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrsMarsters View Post
    I think some people expect him to wave his hands or snap his fingers and you know end unemployment and stuffz.
    Exactly. People act like Obama's suppose to snap his fingers and problems that have been around for years should just vanish overnight.

  8. #8
    Elite Member celeb_2006's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    13,467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Some folks are already upset.

    Campbell Brown had a forum on her show after the speech. And they mentioned how some black people were upset that Obama's not doing more to combat unemployment in the black & latino community. Once again, people expect Obama to make one specific group the priority while the country falls apart. Ain't gonna happen.
    I don't understand how Obama is supposed to solve any one group's problem. The people that have issues with him for not "doing more" to solve their problems should look more at why their local leaders are more interested in grandstanding on worthless issues like honoring MJ rather than combatting crime, gangs, and drugs. And they need to take a brutal and honest assessment within themselves. There's a reason why, when people like Bill Cosby state the painful truth, people get upset. Because they would rather blame racism or other factors than taking responsibility at the underlying issues that plague the black and latino communities. The breakdown of the nuclear family, the absent father, the glorification of the gang lifestyle, etc. These things don't need Obama's help. Obama was very right in mentioning that kids need other role models than rap stars and pro athletes. Now of course I'm not saying that issues like racism and whatnot are not legitimate issues, they are of course, but not all the time for every single problem in life.

  9. #9
    Elite Member kingcap72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    10 miles from Pootie Tang
    Posts
    21,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by celeb_2006 View Post
    I don't understand how Obama is supposed to solve any one group's problem. The people that have issues with him for not "doing more" to solve their problems should look more at why their local leaders are more interested in grandstanding on worthless issues like honoring MJ rather than combatting crime, gangs, and drugs. And they need to take a brutal and honest assessment within themselves. There's a reason why, when people like Bill Cosby state the painful truth, people get upset. Because they would rather blame racism or other factors than taking responsibility at the underlying issues that plague the black and latino communities. The breakdown of the nuclear family, the absent father, the glorification of the gang lifestyle, etc. These things don't need Obama's help. Obama was very right in mentioning that kids need other role models than rap stars and pro athletes. Now of course I'm not saying that issues like racism and whatnot are not legitimate issues, they are of course, but not all the time for every single problem in life.
    Agree with every word.

    And I always wonder why some people expect Obama to do more for the urban community, but they don't hold rappers and pro athletes to the same standard. Rappers make millions from talking about 'ghetto life' but don't put a dime back into the community, and pro athletes endorse sneakers that cost $200-$300 in the community, but don't put any money back into that community. But nobody holds their feet to the fire, but Obama's suppose to change things.

    It's funny how all of the same groups that keep expecting to be a top priority from Obama, be it blacks, gays, women or latinos, didn't seem to expect anything from Bush. The same issues that these groups are complaining about now existed long before Obama showed up. And with 2 wars, crumbling healthcare, an economy tanking, along with the banks, housing, and auto industries, plus rising unemployment, it's ridiculous for anybody to think that they should be moved to the top of the list of priorities.

  10. #10
    Elite Member cupcake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Tampa Bay florida
    Posts
    4,804

    Default

    Great speech
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

  11. #11
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,250

    Default

    I think this one might be better than the one he gave in Philadelphia last year.

    And I always wonder why some people expect Obama to do more for the urban community, but they don't hold rappers and pro athletes to the same standard. Rappers make millions from talking about 'ghetto life' but don't put a dime back into the community, and pro athletes endorse sneakers that cost $200-$300 in the community, but don't put any money back into that communit
    Good point.

  12. #12
    Elite Member Cali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    citizen of the world
    Posts
    5,443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    I saw some of this speech on TV. Really good. I like how Obama switches into preacher mode when he's talking to a black audience.
    Yeah and he gets sort of a southern twang in his voice. I was listening to it on CSPAN yesterday and I was like 'well who knew that Barack secretly lived in the South at some point?'

    There was one part of the speech that bugged me though:
    And by the way, it means we need to be there for our neighbor's sons and daughters. (Applause.) We need to go back to the time, back to the day when we parents saw somebody, saw some kid fooling around and -- it wasn't your child, but they'll whup you anyway. (Laughter and applause.) Or at least they'll tell your parents -- the parents will. You know. (Laughter.) That's the meaning of community. That's how we can reclaim the strength and the determination and the hopefulness that helped us come so far; helped us make a way out of no way.
    http://www.whitehouse.gov/the_press_...on-07/16/2009/
    No no no- I don't want strangers whipping any kids that aren't their own. I don't think any parents should be whipping their kids anyway, but thats my personal opinion. And when he said it- he clearly said 'whip' not 'whup.'

    It was just jarring and unnecessary IMO.

  13. #13
    Elite Member *DIVA!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    15,762

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cali View Post
    Yeah and he gets sort of a southern twang in his voice. I was listening to it on CSPAN yesterday and I was like 'well who knew that Barack secretly lived in the South at some point?'

    There was one part of the speech that bugged me though:
    No no no- I don't want strangers whipping any kids that aren't their own. I don't think any parents should be whipping their kids anyway, but thats my personal opinion. And when he said it- he clearly said 'whip' not 'whup.'
    It was just jarring and unnecessary IMO.
    I think that's the problem with kids today. This use to happen a lot in the black community. When I was a kid and kids acted up, the adult who saw you would spank you, and then they would take you to your parent and they'd do the same..kept plenty of kids out of trouble. Back when I was coming up..there really was a whole village raising kids. Today kids don't care who they're rude to, who they disrespect, hurt, beat up, shoot, or murder. You have kids as young as 6 selling drug to their peers. You have parents blaming others, and not taking responsibility for their action, and their kids. You have too many parents being friends, and not being parents, and also you have too many parents running the street, getting high, and only thinking of themselves instead of taking care of their first priorities, their kids...

    The audience laughed and clapped because they know that's how they were brought up. That their use to be very close neighbors for blocks, and blocks..and if they caused trouble, or embarrassed their parents..they got it from whoever saw them, and whatever relative they ran into on their way to your parents. And it's a whupping...


    I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

  14. #14
    Elite Member Cali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    citizen of the world
    Posts
    5,443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by *DIVA! View Post
    I think that's the problem with kids today. This use to happen a lot in the black community. When I was a kid and kids acted up, the adult who saw you would spank you, and then they would take you to your parent and they'd do the same..kept plenty of kids out of trouble. Back when I was coming up..there really was a whole village raising kids. Today kids don't care who they're rude to, who they disrespect, hurt, beat up, shoot, or murder. You have kids as young as 6 selling drug to their peers. You have parents blaming others, and not taking responsibility for their action, and their kids. You have too many parents being friends, and not being parents, and also you have too many parents running the street, getting high, and only thinking of themselves instead of taking care of their first priorities, their kids...

    The audience laughed and clapped because they know that's how they were brought up. That their use to be very close neighbors for blocks, and blocks..and if they caused trouble, or embarrassed their parents..they got it from whoever saw them, and whatever relative they ran into on their way to your parents. And it's a whupping...
    I think the basic concept is great and I agree with it- strangers getting onto kids for being rude and telling their parents, and parents actually caring and disciplining their own kids.

    But I don't agree with hitting or spanking a kid that isn't yours. If he wouldn't have included that part, I'd have been right there with him.

  15. #15
    Elite Member RevellingInSane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Where Being PC is understood as a fault!
    Posts
    11,591

    Default

    The minority communities have members who feel, erroneously, a sense of entitlement to preferential treatment by Obama because he is a minority. Obama can do no more, singlehandedly, to assuage the afflictions within the black and latino communities than any other politician. The same people who question his lack of magical annihilation of the socioeconomic problems within those communities are probably the same people who allow their children to have rappers as their idols, do not spend enough time mentoring their own offspring, and wait for society to encourage these children and direct them to a path which can lead to success.

    This is not a one man job.



Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. President Obama's civil liberties speech
    By witchcurlgirl in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: May 22nd, 2009, 12:43 AM
  2. President Obama's speech to Congress 2/24/09
    By Moongirl in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: February 25th, 2009, 04:27 PM
  3. What is Barack Obama's best speech so far?
    By bychance in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: February 3rd, 2009, 02:24 AM
  4. Barack Obama's speech was brilliant, but...
    By witchcurlgirl in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: March 18th, 2008, 06:05 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: April 24th, 2007, 10:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •