Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bill Clinton backs same-sex marriage

Default Bill Clinton backs same-sex marriage

Better late than never
    Bill Clinton Backs Same-Sex Marriage

By Michael Tracey

July 14, 2009

After speaking at the Campus Progress National Conference in Washington, DC, on July 8, the former president was asked if he supported same-sex marriage. Clinton, in a departure from past statements, replied in the affirmative. Clinton opposed same-sex marriage during his presidency, and in 1996, he signed the Defense of Marriage Act, which limited federal recognition of marriage to one man and one woman. In May of this year, Clinton told a crowd at Toronto's Convention Centre that his position on same-sex marriage was "evolving."

Apparently, Clinton's thinking has now further evolved. Asked if he would commit his support for same-sex marriage, Clinton responded, "I'm basically in support."

This spring, same-sex marriage was legalized in Iowa, Vermont, Connecticut, Maine and New Hampshire. In his most recent remarks on the subject, Clinton said, "I think all these states that do it should do it." The former president, however, added that he does not believe that same-sex marriage is "a federal question."

Asked if he personally supported same-sex marriage, Clinton replied, "Yeah." "I personally support people doing what they want to do," Clinton said. "I think it's wrong for someone to stop someone else from doing that [same-sex marriage]."

The former president joins a string of prominent Democrats who have recently switched their position on the issue, including former Democratic National Committee chair Howard Dean, New York Senator Charles E. Schumer, New Jersey Governor Jon Corzine and Connecticut Senator Christopher Dodd.

"Bill Clinton joins other important public figures in stepping solidly into the twenty-first century in support of same-sex marriage equality," said the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force's executive director Rea Carey. "We certainly hope other elected officials, including President Obama, join him in clearly stating their support for equality in this country. Same-sex couples should not have to experience second-class citizenship."

Clinton's reversal is the highest-profile one to date. It may also have political implications for the future of the Defense of Marriage Act. President Obama has pledged to repeal the law, but in June, the Justice Department filed a brief in federal court defending the law's constitutionality.

A recent Gallup poll found that a majority of Democrats favor same-sex marriage.
    Bill Clinton Backs Same-Sex Marriage

fucking asshat.

and he's only supporting the states doing it, not the federal level which is where it freaking matters.

Pussyfaced retard. Shut up and go back to obscurity with your bullshit parsing.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Bill Clinton backs same-sex marriage....only if both chicks are hot.

Wow, I believe his sincerity. I mean, it's not like he was ever in a position to put his money where his mouth is.

Oh, WAIT!
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

DADT & DOMA were signed into law by Clinton, and NOW he's against them when Obama's under pressure to repeal them? That's...convenient.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    and he's only supporting the states doing it, not the federal level which is where it freaking matters.
    I'm not sure that it's the federal level that matters. My understanding is that marriage is contract law, which is a state law issue.
    "Oh! I've been looking for a red suede pump!"
    - Marie (Carrie Fisher), When Harry Met Sally

The definition of marriage is a federal issue, ie: next of kin, and various other rights..
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Except marriages are enacted by state statutes not federal.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    DADT & DOMA were signed into law by Clinton, and NOW he's against them when Obama's under pressure to repeal them? That's...convenient.

It sure is. Where have you been Bill?

I think Bill Clinton is like any other politician, two-faced. He is only saying what he thinks will look best. Do I believe he is is sincere? Hell no. Do I believe he is saying what could get Hilary closer to the White House one day? Hell yea.

The definition of marriage is not a federal issue. Individual states choose what is legal and what is not as pertaining to marriage. Supporters of equal gay marriage, not civil unions or anything else, wish to see DOMA repealed so all states have to allow and recognize gay marriages. DOMA can only be repealed at a federal level and if a federal level law is signed, all state's with measures banning same sex marriage would find those measures invalidated. That's why the movement is trying to make it a federal level issue.

^^I think the main reason that Bill is backpeddling is because with all of the controversy about repealing DADT & DOMA it inevitably leads back to his doorstep. So, to take some of the heat off of himself, he says that he's had a change of heart now. Bill's trying to protect his legacy, like any politician would.

Just like Dubya saying that he kept America safe for 8 years, and leaving out 9/11, as if it didn't happen on his watch.

^^Bill is playing the DC game. Deflect, protect, and backtrack. Since DOMA and DADT are two of his presidency's remnants, he wants to unload as much of the negativity into this administration as he can.

Is it just me or were his statements ambigious and non-committal?

In his most recent remarks on the subject, Clinton said, "I think all these states that do it should do it." The former president, however, added that he does not believe that same-sex marriage is "a federal question."
    Hello? He is not supporting gay marriage. He is basically saying that states which want to allow should and states which do not should not be forced to accept or acknowledge gay marriage. In a roundabout way, he is defending DOMA, yet he is being recognized for his "evolving" viewpoint? lol

It is amazing how easily some people can be swayed to believe they have a politician's support.
    Last edited by RevellingInSane; July 15th, 2009 at 09:52 AM.

I wonder if he's setting Shillary up for a 2012 shot

All I can say is at least he is willing to evolve and admit a change of heart. That opens the doors for many others who have opposed it. May they all keep evolving and be willing to admit a change.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Well, if Clinton's changing his mind, great. Times change, people do, too.

Besides, even if he had been opposed to DOMA back in the day, it wouldn't have mattered. DOMA passed with more than a 2/3 majority in both the House and Senate.
    "Oh! I've been looking for a red suede pump!"
    - Marie (Carrie Fisher), When Harry Met Sally

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information