Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: President Obama announces his pick for surgeon general, Dr. Regina Benjamin

Default President Obama announces his pick for surgeon general, Dr. Regina Benjamin

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- President Obama announced Monday he has chosen Dr. Regina Benjamin, a family practice doctor from the Gulf Coast, to serve as surgeon general.
    The rural family physician has long provided medical care on the Gulf Coast. In 1990, she founded Bayou La Batre Rural Health Clinic in the fishing village of Bayou La Batre, Alabama.
    The clinic was heavily damaged by Hurricane Georges in 1998 and Hurricane Katrina in 2005, but Benjamin rebuilt it each time and continued to offer medical care to the village's 2,500 residents.
    Many of her family practice patients are uninsured, according to the MacArthur Foundation, which last year awarded her one of its $500,000 "genius" grants.
    Her patient population includes immigrants from Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos, who make up a third of Bayou La Batre's population.
    Benjamin received a bachelor's degree in 1979 from Xavier University of Louisiana, attended Morehouse School of Medicine from 1980 to 1982 and received an doctor of medicine degree in 1984 from the University of Alabama at Birmingham.
    Benjamin completed her residency in family practice at the Medical Center of Central Georgia in 1987 and has served as CEO of the Bayou La Batre Rural Health Clinic since its founding in 1990.
    She earned a master's degree in business administration in 1991 from Tulane University.
    Benjamin also served as the associate dean for rural health at the University of South Alabama's College of Medicine and as president of the State of Alabama Medical Association from 2002-2003.
    She is the first woman, first African-American woman and first person younger than 40 to sit on the board of trustees of the American Medical Association, serving from 1995 through 1998.
    The position of surgeon requires Senate confirmation.
    Obama announces his pick for surgeon general
    I wonder how long it'll be before the GOP labels her as a 'racist,' too?

Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

the pope likes her.. that worries me..
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

^^^
    good point.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I like her. Good choice!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

He will have completed his cabinet by the end of his first term......
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Elite Member

He completed his cabinet long ago. The surgeon general is a sub-sub cabinet level position, who reports to the Assistant Sec. for Health.

Surgeon General of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

People have a problem with Surgeon General because of her weight.

Is Dr. Regina Benjamin Too Fat to Be Surgeon General?

Earlier this week, President Barack Obama nominated Alabama physician Regina Benjamin as the next Surgeon General. In that capacity, Dr. Benjamin will oversee the 6,000 member public health corps and function as America's chief health nanny, ah, health educator. Past Surgeons General included the luxuriantly-bearded Dr. C. Everett Koop who campaigned relentlessly against smoking and Dr. Jocelyn Elders who, in response to a question, suggested that teaching masturbation might be a way to prevent young people from engaging in riskier forms of sexual activity.

Despite Dr. Benjamin's distinguished record as a physician, some blogospherean health nannies are objecting to her appointment on the grounds that she is fat. In a nice column on this "controversy," University of Pennsylvania bioethicist Art Caplan quotes a couple of self-appointed anti-fat crusaders:

“I refuse to let fat be socially acceptable … The President should have known better and picked a doctor who could kick start the debate on fat not perpetuate it,” commented one reader on a national news site.

Another has some mighty specific requirements for the post: “Rather than select a fat Black woman Obama should have chose a Black woman with a body mass index of 25 or less.”

Caplan goes on to ask:

And who said the surgeon general or doctors in general or anyone working in health care must be paragons of health and risk avoidance?

A better question is why does anyone have to be a paragon of health and risk avoidance, but we'll leave that one for now.

Caplan does suggest that Dr. Benjamin might serve as an example for us all (especially those of us with BMI's over 25):

But people need to relate to the surgeon general, and if she can battle her weight on the job, she will do more to curb obesity then all the salads added to the menus of burger joints everywhere.

This is very unlikely. If Oprah Winfrey's gigantic audience is unaffected by the daytime star's very public efforts to keep her weight down, I doubt that whatever the new Surgeon General does or does not do about her avoirdupois will have much effect.

Ultimately, the right question is the one my colleauge Jacob Sullum asked in his splendid article "The War On Fat" -- Is the size of your butt the government's business? The answer is, no. Here's hoping that the new Surgeon General thinks so too.
    Opposing Views: OPINION: Is Dr. Regina Benjamin Too Fat to Be Surgeon General?
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

^^ She doesn't look fat at all!
    What I really want to know is whether it makes your poop glow in the dark after eating it! ~ Kittylady

That's her in 2003

This is her yesterday.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

^Is that for real? That can't be for real. Didn't the Onion have an article about Obama being too skinny to be POTUS?
    "Just because I walked into a turd supermarket doesn't mean I have to buy anything." - John Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by Pippin69 View Post
    ^Is that for real? That can't be for real. Didn't the Onion have an article about Obama being too skinny to be POTUS?
    It's real, I saw it on MSNBC and thought it should be posted.

Obesity, particularly Black obesity, is a huge health problem in the United States. Obama's choice of a Surgeon General who is obese and Black sends the wrong message to the one in eight in the population who are Black. With Black female obesity exceeding 40 percent Obama's choice of a fat Black woman is a very poor public health decision.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

^ Oh, man, that's awful.
    "Just because I walked into a turd supermarket doesn't mean I have to buy anything." - John Oliver

Obesity, particularly Black obesity, is a huge health problem in the United States. Obama's choice of a Surgeon General who is obese and Black sends the wrong message to the one in eight in the population who are Black. With Black female obesity exceeding 40 percent Obama's choice of a fat Black woman is a very poor public health decision.
    Give me a fucking break. It's one thing for people to question her qualifications, but to act like you have to be slender to be Surgeon General is ridiculous.

please. most doctors i know smoke, does that mean they should stop practising?
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information