Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gay couple detained near Mormon plaza after kiss

Default Gay couple detained near Mormon plaza after kiss

Gay couple detained near Mormon plaza after kiss

(07-10) 20:37 PDT Salt Lake City (AP) --
    A gay couple say they were detained by security guards on a plaza owned by the Mormon church and later cited by police, claiming it stemmed from a kiss on the cheek.
    The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints said that the men became argumentative and refused to leave after being asked to stop their "inappropriate behavior." The men say they were targeted because they are gay.
    Matt Aune said he and his partner, Derek Jones, were walking home from a concert nearby on Thursday night, cutting through the plaza near the Salt Lake City Mormon temple.
    Aune, 28, said he gave Jones, 25, a hug and kiss and that the two were then approached by a security guard, who asked them to leave, telling them they were being inappropriate and that public displays of affection aren't allowed on the property. He said other guards arrived and the men were handcuffed.
    "We asked what we were doing wrong," Aune told The Associated Press.
    Church spokeswoman Kim Farah said in a statement Friday that the men were "politely asked to stop engaging in inappropriate behavior just as any other couple would have been."
    "They became argumentative and used profanity and refused to leave the property," she said. The church did not immediately respond to a request for more comment.
    Police later arrived and both men were cited with misdemeanor trespassing, Salt Lake City Police Sgt. Robin Snyder said.
    "It doesn't matter what they were asked to leave for," Snyder said. "If they are asked to leave and don't they are ... trespassing."
    The church has been the target of protests over its support of a ban on gay marriage in California.

They dont allow public displays of affection period, I have 3 nephews and 3 nieces, mormon, and they are very strict about any kind of hand holding etc, but I doubt if the police have ever been called out. They went too far in this case
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

Would love to get more specific details on what "plaza" this was. I wonder if this was on the stretch of Main Street (or was it State Street) that the church basically bought from the city. That's right, the Mormon church bought a strip of public street space and made it private.
    "Oh! I've been looking for a red suede pump!"
    - Marie (Carrie Fisher), When Harry Met Sally

They dont allow public displays of affection period, I have 3 nephews and 3 nieces, mormon, and they are very strict about any kind of hand holding etc, but I doubt if the police have ever been called out. They went too far in this case
    This religion is way too controlling. They clamp down on harmless things like this, yet cover up so much crap stemming from Joseph Smith and Brigham Young who were as immoral as it gets.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiseguy View Post
    This religion is way too controlling. They clamp down on harmless things like this, yet cover up so much crap stemming from Joseph Smith and Brigham Young who were as immoral as it gets.
    I agree. My sister has been a Morman for 25 years...crazy, her kids all live in Utah, she lives in Wyoming with the last 2 kids. I rarely see her
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

I agree. My sister has been a Morman for 25 years...crazy, her kids all live in Utah, she lives in Wyoming with the last 2 kids. I rarely see her
    Most Mormons are oblivious to the history of that church. The cover ups are unbelievable. It's a very controlling religion.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Wombat View Post
    Would love to get more specific details on what "plaza" this was. I wonder if this was on the stretch of Main Street (or was it State Street) that the church basically bought from the city. That's right, the Mormon church bought a strip of public street space and made it private.
    Here's where it took place:
    A gay couple says they were detained by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints security guards after one man kissed another on the cheek Thursday on Main Street Plaza.

"They targeted us," said Matt Aune, 28. "We weren't doing anything inappropriate or illegal, or anything most people would consider inappropriate for any other couple."

Aune and his partner, Derek Jones, 25, were cited by Salt Lake City police for trespassing on the plaza, located at 50 East North Temple, according to Sgt. Robin Snyder.
    Trespassing case? Gay couple detained after kiss near LDS temple - Salt Lake Tribune

There was a protest yesterday:
    Protesters smooch near LDS Temple
    Demonstration They exchanged 'gentle' kisses to show support for a gay couple detained for kissing on Main Street Plaza on Thursday.
    By Lindsay Whitehurst
    The Salt Lake Tribune

Wearing bright red lipstick, Isabelle Warnas smiled and planted a big kiss on her husband's cheek, something she said she has done often under the spires of the LDS Church's Salt Lake Temple.

"Nobody has said a thing to us," the 50-year-old Salt Lake City resident said.

This time, though, they had an audience of more than a hundred. They were gathered for a "kiss-in" staged Sunday morning near Main Street Plaza to show support for a gay couple, Derek Jones, 25, and Matthew Aune, 28, who say they were detained by Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints security guards after one man had kissed the other on the cheek Thursday. They had argued with the guards and were later cited for trespassing.

"My husband and I cannot understand the discrimination," Warnas said. "This is not right."

The atmosphere Sunday morning was genial, and even merry among protesters. Organizer and former city councilwoman Deeda Seed encouraged "gentle" displays of public affection, and participants stuck to short kisses on the mouth and cheeks.

Several LDS Church security guards dressed in suits kept a watchful eye, and turned some protesters back when they tried to cross the church-owned plaza or walk onto the property to share a kiss.

Guards called police when protesters staged a walk onto the plaza, and officers stood to block the entrance.

"They were asked repeatedly not to come onto the property, and they chose to do so anyway," said LDS church spokeswoman Kim Farah. Though a few people spoke in protest, there were no direct confrontations, and guards did not stop the protesters gathered past the property line.

In a prepared statement, Farah said the church welcomes the millions of visitors who come to its headquarters each year.

"We are glad they come ... . We do ask that certain guidelines be kept on church property, including that no demonstrations are allowed here," she said.

The incident became a flash point for overlapping controversies: Anger over church support of Proposition 8, which outlawed gay marriage in California, and still-simmering frustration over the city's sale of Main Street Plaza to the church about 10 years ago.

"A lot of people feel disrespected, feel less than fully human because of church policies toward gay and lesbian people, and that's got to stop," said Salt Lake City Councilman Luke Garrott, who represents the downtown district. The sale allowed the church to ban objectionable activities, from protesting to sunbathing, on the plaza, which borders Temple Square and church headquarters.

Jones and Aune attended the event with their two dogs. The couple stayed quietly in the background.

"I just want to get the message out," Jones said. "We're very flattered and very proud."

"This community is a great one," Aune said.
    Protesters smooch near LDS Temple - Salt Lake Tribune

Ask Mormons the true history and beliefs of the church and most of them spew the propaganda they were brainwashed to believe, not the true history, ties, and goings-on. They are out of touch puppets. When you bring up their beliefs and the occult, they will deny everything, become argumentative, etc. Sorry Morons, it's true.

Again, the question of private versus public comes up. If it's private property, they can have rules which are obviously crazy. Florida, Ohio, and Texas are safe from the title of craziest state as long as Utah exists.

GOlden tablets read out of a hat, very plausible
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

they should stand right outside of the private propertly line, and make out like fiends. just to piss off the mormons.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Ask Mormons the true history and beliefs of the church and most of them spew the propaganda they were brainwashed to believe, not the true history, ties, and goings-on. They are out of touch puppets. When you bring up their beliefs and the occult, they will deny everything, become argumentative, etc. Sorry Morons, it's true.
    Agree. Then bring up three words:
    Mountain Meadows Massacre.

120 men woman and children ...gone..
    Rip Mom

120 men woman and children ...gone..
    You've gotta ask why this is so covered up even today. The Mormons (like other parts of their shady history) continue to deny, deny, deny. Yet new evidence points to Brigham Young being the one who gave the orders for the massacre. I've been to the memorial site, and you have to look hard on a map just to find it. Here is a quote from when the massacre site was discovered:
    The cover of the August 13, 1859 issue of Harper's Weekly illustrating the killing field as described by Brevet Major Carleton "one too horrible and sickening for language to describe. Human skeletons, disjointed bones, ghastly skulls and the hair of women were scattered in frightful profusion over a distance of two miles." "the remains were not buried at all until after they had been dismembered by the wolves and the flesh stripped from the bones, and then only such bones were buried as lay scattered along nearest the road".
    Nauseating, considering this was just a wagon train full of families going through Mormon territory.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiseguy View Post
    Agree. Then bring up three words:
    Mountain Meadows Massacre.
    Well, that's the most depressing game of Oregon Trail ever

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    they should stand right outside of the private propertly line, and make out like fiends. just to piss off the mormons.
    This is why I love you, sput.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information