Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vanity Fair's new article: "It came from Wasilla." (Sarah Palin)

Default Vanity Fair's new article: "It came from Wasilla." (Sarah Palin)

IT! They called her an "it!" Amazing!
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009

"It came from Wasilla!" Vanity Fair comes up with the best Sarah Palin headline ever!

The article is pretty critical of Palin but the author, Todd S. Purdum, misses a few important pieces.

Here are a few notable excerpts from the article:

Concerning the venom spewing Meg Staplton:
    She created a political-action committee—Sarahpac—with the help of John Coale, a prominent Democratic trial lawyer. But just months into its existence the pac’s chief fund-raiser, Becki Donatelli, a veteran of Republican campaigns, suddenly quit. One person familiar with the situation told me that Donatelli could not stand dealing with Palin’s political spokeswoman in Alaska, Meghan Stapleton, who has drawn withering fire from Palin friends and critics alike for being an ineffective adviser.

The loss of powerful Alaskan supporters:
    Walter Hickel, 89, a former two-term governor and interior secretary, and the grand old man of Alaska politics, who was co-chair of Palin’s winning gubernatorial campaign, in 2006, now washes his hands of her. He told me simply, “I don’t give a damn what she does.”

Her crazy Wassilabilly family:
    The clouds of tabloid conflict and controversy that swirl around her and her extended clan—the surprise pregnancies, the two-bit blood feuds, the tawdry in-laws and common-law kin caught selling drugs or poaching game—give her family a singular status in the rogues’ gallery of political relatives. By comparison, Billy Carter, Donald Nixon, and Roger Clinton seem like avatars of circumspection. Palin’s life has sometimes played out like an unholy amalgam of Desperate Housewives and Northern Exposure.

Her lack of vetting by the McCain campaign:
    McCain had spent only a couple of hours in Palin’s presence before choosing her, and she had pointedly failed to endorse him after he clinched the nomination in March. The difficulties began immediately, with the McCain team’s delivery of the bad news that the pregnancy of Palin’s daughter Bristol, which was already common knowledge in Alaska and had been revealed to the McCain team at the last minute, could not be kept secret until after the Republican convention. (Ooooh, so close Purdum, but you failed to discover the REAL truth behind why Bristol had to be thrown under the bus.)

When the McCain people first began to discover that Sarah Palin has a slippery relationship with the truth:
    After she was picked, the campaign belatedly sent a dozen lawyers and researchers, led by a veteran Bush aide, Taylor Griffin, to Alaska, in a desperate race against the national reporters descending on the state. At one point, trying out a debating point that she believed showed she could empathize with uninsured Americans, Palin told McCain aides that she and Todd in the early years of their marriage had been unable to afford health insurance of any kind, and had gone without it until he got his union card and went to work for British Petroleum on the North Slope of Alaska. Checking with Todd Palin himself revealed that, no, they had had catastrophic coverage all along. She insisted that catastrophic insurance didn’t really count and need not be revealed. This sort of slipperiness—about both what the truth was and whether the truth even mattered—persisted on questions great and small. By late September, when the time came to coach Palin for her second major interview, this time with Katie Couric, there were severe tensions between Palin and the campaign.

Trying to decipher Sarah's craziness leads top staffers to ridiculous conclusion:
    When orders or advice from McCain headquarters began to conflict with her own impulses, aides told me, she simply did what she wanted to do. “The problem was she came down from Alaska with basically Todd as a sort of trusted bellwether adviser,” one McCain friend says. “She was given this staff of 20. It was probably too big a staff. To be real honest with you, I don’t think she could figure out who to trust.” All the while, Palin was coping not only with the crazed life of any national candidate on the road but also with the young children traveling with her. Some top aides worried about her mental state: was it possible that she was experiencing postpartum depression? (Palin’s youngest son was less than six months old.) (Dude spend some time reading the internet before writing such an important article! You totally missed the biggest Palin scandal of all!)

My new favorite Sarah Palin nickname:
    One longtime McCain friend and frequent companion on the trail was heard to refer to Palin as “Little Shop of Horrors.”

Author does manage to reveal just how ridiculous, and bizarre, Sarah Palin's official pregnancy cover story is at least:
    But there were ominous signs—indications of an erratic nature. This is the third thing McCain could have discovered about Palin—a woman, after all, who kept a pregnancy secret for seven months, flew all the way home from Texas to Alaska with a near-full-term baby while leaking amniotic fluid, and then finally drove the 45 minutes from Anchorage to a hospital in Wasilla, all so that the child could be born in the 49th state.

And here is an issue that has been raised on this blog, as well as many other blogs, multiple times in the last nine months:
    More than once in my travels in Alaska, people brought up, without prompting, the question of Palin’s extravagant self-regard. Several told me, independently of one another, that they had consulted the definition of “narcissistic personality disorder” in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders—“a pervasive pattern of grandiosity (in fantasy or behavior), need for admiration, and lack of empathy”—and thought it fit her perfectly. When Trig was born, Palin wrote an e-mail letter to friends and relatives, describing the belated news of her pregnancy and detailing Trig’s condition; she wrote the e-mail not in her own name but in God’s, and signed it “Trig’s Creator, Your Heavenly Father.”

Aahh the truthfulness of young Levi Johnston!:
    After Levi told Tyra Banks that he had often spent the night in the Palin home, in the same room as Bristol, and assumed that the governor knew they were having sex, Palin, through her spokeswoman, released a blistering statement expressing disappointment “that Levi and his family, in a quest for fame, attention, and fortune, are engaging in flat-out lies, gross exaggeration, and even distortion of their relationship.” On the CBS Early Show, days later, Johnston seemed resigned. “They said I didn’t live there. I ‘stayed there,”’ he said. “I was like, O.K., well, whatever you want to call it. I had my stuff there.”

Have any lessons been learned?:
    When I ask Bitney (Old high school friend and political advisor to Sarah Palin) what he makes of the whole Palin phenomenon, he sighs. “What do I take away from this?” he asks. “Oh, I don’t know. I don’t know. It’s just a lot of emotions and stuff. I find it’s frustrating dealing with Sarah, because it seems we’re always dealing with emotional crap and we never seem to be able to focus on the business at hand that needs to be done. I don’t know whether to blame her or pity her for all this emotional upheaval that we’re always going through with her. Now we all get to listen to Levi and Bristol. Check my feet for horseshoes if I have to sit there and listen to another talk show. I got involved in helping her become governor because we needed to change some policy directions. Teen abstinence is not why I waved signs for her.”

I encourage you to read the entire article. It is very good, despite completely missing the "babygate" boat.

Posted by Gryphen at 5:01 AM
    The Immoral Minority: "It came from Wasilla!" Vanity Fair comes up with the best Sarah Palin headline ever!
    Full article can be read at VF: Todd S. Purdum on Sarah Palin | vanityfair.com

Elite Member

Wow, they really turned on her. Remember they did that piece on her when she was pregnant (presumably) and they made her out to be this glamorous woman governor?

On the CBS Early Show, days later, Johnston seemed resigned. “They said I didn’t live there. I ‘stayed there,”’ he said. “I was like, O.K., well, whatever you want to call it. I had my stuff there.”

Free Levi!

And wholly disingenuous righteous indignation from Sarah in 5, 4, 3, 2, ............
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMama View Post
    And wholly disingenuous righteous indignation from Sarah in 5, 4, 3, 2, ............
    Yeah, that darn liberal media is attacking her again.

Quote Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
    Wow, they really turned on her. Remember they did that piece on her when she was pregnant (presumably) and they made her out to be this glamorous woman governor?
    That was Vogue. I don't remember VF doing a piece on her before.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    That was Vogue. I don't remember VF doing a piece on her before.
    Oh, OK. That's right. I remember now.

While flying up here (Whitehorse) and skirting the border just after leaving Terrace all I was thinking was "I can see Alaska from my plane!"

now do I have enough foreign relations experience to run for vice president??

Some of the comments made in the VF article reminded me of comments Kathleen Parker (conservative/Republican columnist for the Washington Post) made a few weeks earlier:
    Philadelphia, Pa.: What was Sarah Palin's reputation for returning phone calls and messages before she ran for Vice President? Does she have basically the same staff as Governor before and after this run and has she added staff since becoming a national celebrity?

Kathleen Parker: My understanding is that Gov. Palin was inundated with volumes of requests. She was suddenly famous and in demand. The problem was that she wasn't willing to delegate or hire the staff she needed to deal with it. Machinery can be put in place for such things -- and plenty of GOP handlers and funders tried to help.
    Savannah, Ga.: Ms. Parker, do you think that disorganization alone is holding Palin back? When I hear her speak on her positions, she sounds, well, like she doesn't really understand what she's talking about. (Alaska is very capitalist because it take wealth generated from natural resources and distributes it to all its citizens?) Do you think she does understand, and just comes off inarticulate, or do you think that good organization can overcome a basic deficit of ideas and understanding?

Kathleen Parker:
    Good question. One of Palin's biggest problems, obviously, is an inability to clearly articulate her positions. I have it on good authority that she had a terrible time training for the vp debate and threatened to leave at one point. The McCain people were very frustrated with her as they tried to hammer a few talking points. Time will tell, but I'm not optimistic. (No winking)
    Bethesda, Md.: I see a bit of Dan Quayle in Palin: smart but not experienced. Also both were thrust WAY too fast onto the national scene. Palin, however, has some time to take a break and get more media-savvy. Agree? Disagree?

Kathleen Parker:
    I agree that Palin was picked too soon. Bobby Jindal is a genius (I promise) and he would be an utter flop right now. Witness his response to Obama's address to Congress.

Trust me when I say I'm not comparing Palin and Jindal in any other regard. They're moons apart intellectually and with regard to accomplishments. But timing is important and even a talent like Jindal would crash right now.

Can Palin reinvent herself for later? Sure. She's young. But becoming media-savvy is only part of the equation. More important, she has to become educated and learned. But first, she has to want to. I'm not sure she has the intellectual curiosity necessary to bring her up to speed. Actually, this is a widely held doubt within the party.
    Knoxville, Tenn.: Ms Parker You said she has trouble articulating her views, but maybe may of them just don't make any logical sense, or are not very well thought out.

Is it just the delivery or the actual thinking behind the positions?

Kathleen Parker:
    Bottom line: If you know your material, you can talk about it.
    Will Sarah Palin's Undisciplined Operation Cost Her? - washingtonpost.com

**snort** I don't think Parker could have screamed "DUMBASS" any louder.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll

God, she is so dumb! There's no way she'd ever be able to handle being a national candidate.
    By all accounts, Palin was either unwilling, or simply unable, to prepare. In the run-up to the Couric interview, Palin had become preoccupied with a far more parochial concern: answering a humdrum written questionnaire from her hometown newspaper, the Frontiersman. McCain aides saw it as easy stuff, the usual boilerplate, the work of 20 minutes or so, but Palin worried intently. At the same time, she grew concerned that her approval ratings back home in Alaska were sagging as she embraced the role of McCain’s bad cop. To keep her happy, the chief McCain strategist, Steve Schmidt, agreed to conduct a onetime poll of 300 Alaska voters. It would prove to Palin, Schmidt thought, that everything was all right.

Then came the near-total meltdown of the financial system and McCain’s much-derided decision to briefly “suspend” his campaign. Under the circumstances, and with severely limited resources, Schmidt and the McCain-campaign chairman, Rick Davis, scrapped the Alaska poll and urgently set out to survey voters’ views of the economy (and of McCain’s response to it) in competitive states. Palin was furious. She was convinced that Schmidt had lied to her, a belief she conveyed to anyone who would listen.
    And a whiny narcissist
    Election Night brought what McCain aides saw as the final indignity. Palin decided she would make her own speech at the ticket’s farewell to the faithful, at the Arizona Biltmore, in Phoenix. When aides went to load McCain’s concession speech into the teleprompter, they found a concession speech for Palin—written by Bush speechwriter Matthew Scully, who had also been the principal drafter of her convention speech—already on the system. Schmidt and Salter told Palin that there was no tradition of Election Night speeches by running mates, and that she wouldn’t be giving one. Palin was insistent. “Are those John’s wishes?” she asked. They were, she was told. But Palin took the issue to McCain himself, raising it on the walk from his suite to the outdoor rally. Again the answer was no.

The Stupid is amazing sometimes.

I doubt she'll even realize there's anything negative in there.

I'm wondering if we shouldn't have some level of sympathy for her (and yes, I am currently drinking vodka with lovely gorganzola stuffed olives) but she clearly suffers from some level of cognizant impairment. It just defies the odds to score so consistently off the charts on the Unintentional Comedy Scale.

Hardball interview with the author of the piece:

Hardball with Chris Matthews

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information