Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coretta King's funeral turns into Bush bash-fest

Talking Coretta King's funeral turns into Bush bash-fest

KING FUNERAL TURNS POLITICAL: BUSH BASHED BY FORMER PRESIDENT, REVEREND
    Tue Feb 07 2006 15:49:48 ET

Today's memorial service for civil rights activist Coretta Scott King -- billed as a "celebration" of her life -- turned suddenly political as one former president took a swipe at the current president, who was also lashed by an outspoken black pastor!

The outspoken Rev. Joseph Lowery, co-founder of Southern Christian Leadership Conference, ripped into President Bush during his short speech, ostensibly about the wife of Martin Luther King Jr.

"She extended Martin's message against poverty, racism and war. She deplored the terror inflicted by our smart bombs on missions way afar. We know now that there were no weapons of mass destruction over there," Lowery said.

The mostly black crowd applauded, then rose to its feet and cheered in a two-minute-long standing ovation.

A closed-circuit television in the mega-church outside Atlanta showed the president smiling uncomfortably.

"But Coretta knew, and we know," Lowery continued, "That there are weapons of misdirection right down here," he said, nodding his head toward the row of presidents past and present. "For war, billions more, but no more for the poor!" The crowd again cheered wildly.

Former President Jimmy Carter later swung at Bush as well, not once but twice. As he talked about the Kings, he said: "It was difficult for them then personally with the civil liberties of both husband and wife violated as they became the target of secret government wiretaps." The crowd cheered as Bush, under fire for a secret wiretapping program he ordered after the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, again smiled weakly.

Later, Carter said Hurricane Katrina showed that all are not yet equal in America. Some black leaders have blamed Bush for the poor federal response, and rapper Kayne West said that Bush "hates" black people.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Default Re: Coretta King's funeral turns into Bush bash-fest

Even old Ted Kennedy ripped some not so subtle ones at Bush, who sat right behind the speaker. And every time he had to join the crowd in a standing ovation, feigning a "smile", well, his usual smirk, really.

Squirming
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

oh my, Laura looks like she's trying to bore holes in the back of the Rev's head with her eyes.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Gold Member

so tacky but so funny. W didn't get to hand pick the audience so he got to hear what the majority of us think of him
    If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning

The truth hurts.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default Bush slammed by Reverend and former President at King funeral. Hilarious.

Today's memorial service for civil rights activist Coretta Scott King -- billed as a "celebration" of her life -- turned suddenly political as one former president took a swipe at the current president, who was also lashed by an outspoken black pastor!

The outspoken Rev. Joseph Lowery, co-founder of Southern Christian Leadership Conference, ripped into President Bush during his short speech, ostensibly about the wife of Martin Luther King Jr.

"She extended Martin's message against poverty, racism and war. She deplored the terror inflicted by our smart bombs on missions way afar. We know now that there were no weapons of mass destruction over there," Lowery said.

The mostly black crowd applauded, then rose to its feet and cheered in a two-minute-long standing ovation.

A closed-circuit television in the mega-church outside Atlanta showed the president smiling uncomfortably.

"But Coretta knew, and we know," Lowery continued, "That there are weapons of misdirection right down here," he said, nodding his head toward the row of presidents past and present. "For war, billions more, but no more for the poor!" The crowd again cheered wildly.

Former President Jimmy Carter later swung at Bush as well, not once but twice. As he talked about the Kings, he said: "It was difficult for them then personally with the civil liberties of both husband and wife violated as they became the target of secret government wiretaps." The crowd cheered as Bush, under fire for a secret wiretapping program he ordered after the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, again smiled weakly.

Later, Carter said Hurricane Katrina showed that all are not yet equal in America.

"This commerative cermony this morning, this afternoon, is not only to acknowledge the great contributions of Coretta and Martin, but to remind us that the struggle for equal rights is not over. We only have to recall the color of the faces of those in Louisiana, Alabama and Mississippi," Carter said, the rest of his sentence drowned out by loud applause. "Those who were most devastated by [Hurricane] Katrina know that there are not yet equal opportunities for all Americans. It is our responsibility to continue their crusade."

Developing...

drudgereport.
    IF someone can post a fab picture of Bush and the Stepford Wife looking wildly stupid and uncomfortable during this event, you can get it here:

http://www.drudgereport.com/flash8.htm
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

A*O

Default Re: Bush slammed by Reverend and former Prez at King funeral. Hilarious.

My pleasure

I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Bless your heart, A*O. Laura looks like she's trying to shoot lasers into the back of the good REverend's head. Fantastic. And shrubbo looks like a squirmy kid at a formal event. Hasn't Karl taught him to sit still in his seat by now?

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Laura looks like she is sucking on a lemon and Dubya looks like he is thinking "I wish I had a jack and coke..or make that a jack and coke and coke!"

Okay, color me (that is CONFUSED) here> didn't the photo I posted, which is the exact same photo that was posted by A&O 4 posts later, show up for everyone to see? Or was this a double thread that is now combined?
    Just wondering, because usually my photobucket account works 100%......

***** celeb

I think two threads were combined. But personally, I just can't get enough of that picture. Hello new wallpaper!

--Sinclair Lewis

I'll admit it was kind of inapporpriate to talk politics at Corretta's funeral. but at the same time, i think it was a good thing to let Bush know face to face on how much of a loser he is. Hell I found it kind of insulting that Bush was there since his administration has trapled on some civil rights.But that's just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Authority
    I'll admit it was kind of inapporpriate to talk politics at Corretta's funeral. but at the same time, i think it was a good thing to let Bush know face to face on how much of a loser he is. Hell I found it kind of insulting that Bush was there since his administration has trapled on some civil rights.But that's just my opinion.
    ^Hey, they must've thought "We got that jackass IN the house, cameras zooming in on him, he can't escape, or twist facts around afterwards this being a LIVE broadcast and all so> LET'S ROAST HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Buttmunch
    I think two threads were combined. But personally, I just can't get enough of that picture. Hello new wallpaper!
    Okay, I got it. Was afraid I had to look out for another pic server.

***** celeb

I doubt Mrs. King would have held back. She probably would have flayed him alive if she had the chance.

Teddy K. was there? Not the dear brother of JFK and RFK...the VERY ONES who spied on MLK and Mrs. King! How ironic.
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye.
    Miss Piggy
    US Muppet and Pig

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information