Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GOP activist says escaped gorilla is 'ancestor of Michelle Obama'

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default GOP activist says escaped gorilla is 'ancestor of Michelle Obama'

Note to racist Republican: Everything you post on the internet can be spread around the globe in a matter of seconds.

COLUMBIA, SC (WIS) - A state Republican activist has admitted to and apologized for calling a gorilla that escaped from the Riverbanks Zoo Friday an "ancestor" of First Lady Michelle Obama.

A screen capture of the comment, made on the Internet site Facebook, was obtained by FITSNews, the website of South Carolina politico Will Folks.

The image shows a post by an aide to state Attorney General Henry McMaster describing Friday morning's gorilla escape at Columbia's Riverbanks Zoo.

Longtime SCGOP activist and former state Senate candidate Rusty DePass responded with the comment, "I'm sure it's just one of Michelle's ancestors - probably harmless." Read on...

Yes, this loyal Bushie was referring to the First Lady, Michelle Obama. Brilliant. His "I'm sorry if anyone was offended" non-apology was weak at best, but at some point he should have just STFU, put down the shovel and stopped digging:

DePass took his apology a bit further. He also said, "The comment was hers. Not mine," saying the first lady made statements in the media recently saying we are all descendents [sic] of apes.

But an Internet search for those comments turned up no news articles of the like.Crooks and Liars
    COLUMBIA, SC (WIS) - A state Republican activist has admitted to and apologized for calling a gorilla that escaped from the Riverbanks Zoo Friday an "ancestor" of First Lady Michelle Obama.

A screen capture of the comment, made on the Internet site Facebook, was obtained by FITSNews, the website of South Carolina politico Will Folks.

The image shows a post by an aide to state Attorney General Henry McMaster describing Friday morning's gorilla escape at Columbia's Riverbanks Zoo.

Longtime SCGOP activist and former state Senate candidate Rusty DePass responded with the comment, "I'm sure it's just one of Michelle's ancestors - probably harmless."

DePass told WIS News 10 he was talking about First Lady Michelle Obama.

DePass has been involved in state politics for decades, and helped elect Republican Governor Jim Edwards in 1974. He was an early South Carolina supporter of former President George W. Bush in 2000.

We asked some of DePass' political allies and rivals what they thought about the comment.

"Even if it was taken out of context - its not something that should have ever been said. It's sad, disappointing, and unfortunate," said former SCGOP Chairman Katon Dawson.

Columbia Mayor Bob Coble also condemns the comment.

"You know, I think the comment is inappropriate. It's a racist comment," he says. "I think Mr. DePass should apologize."

We spoke with DePass over the phone Friday night. He said, "I am as sorry as I can be if I offended anyone. The comment was clearly in jest."

"You know, I don't think there's anything funny about that comment," says Coble. "That is the First Lady of the United States. We've had a long tradition of wonderful first ladies, and I don't think any of them deserve that type of comment."

DePass took his apology a bit further. He also said, "The comment was hers. Not mine," saying the first lady made statements in the media recently saying we are all descendents of apes.

But an Internet search for those comments turned up no news articles of the like.

"I don't know of any," says Coble.

All of that aside, the mayor wants a clear-cut apology.

"Rusty DePass is well known in the community, and I know he's done very good things in addition to his political work," says Mayor Coble. "I don't want a comment like that coming out of Columbia, South Carolina for the world to comment on."

The comment has been removed from Facebook. DePass' Facebook page has also been deleted.GOP activist says escaped gorilla was "ancestor" of Michelle Obama - WIS News 10 - Columbia, South Carolina |

Jesus, these chuckleheads don't seem to be able to stop their own stupidity. Unbelievable.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

SVZ

Wow that's......really offensive

Elite Member

I can't believe these people even exist!

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

I can and I'm not surprised they work for the repugs.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Nauseating.

And people wonder why folks associate Republicans with racists. Frankly, if I was a member of a political party that had so many "ooops" gaffes that related to race, I'd wonder what the fuck I was doing there.

Those aren't "oops" gaffes. They know exactly what they're saying. This is what they and all their followers believe (Dittoheads, good ol' boys, etc.). They don't feel they need to hide it.

Somehow I think Republicans will tell those of us offended that this is "a taste of [our] own medicine" re: the Bristol/Letterman thing... or that we're just being the usual limpwristed, bleeding-heart, sensitive liberals we've always been. Whichever it is, this comment really is dripping with "asshole"

That was not even faintly amusing.Trashy to the bone.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

so he's not only racist, he's a retard who denies evolution.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Lane View Post
    Somehow I think Republicans will tell those of us offended that this is "a taste of [our] own medicine" re: the Bristol/Letterman thing... or that we're just being the usual limpwristed, bleeding-heart, sensitive liberals we've always been. Whichever it is, this comment really is dripping with "asshole"
    The person who will say that is just ignorant.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Hit By Ban Bus!

I am sick of these monumental asses. They say what they want and then issue a non-apology: I am as sorry as I can be if I offended anyone. No ASS, there is no IF about it.

More GOP racism disguised as 'jokes.' I'm stunned.

The GOP is going down faster than Lilo at a coke party.

And none of this surprises me one bit.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoAmI View Post
    Those aren't "oops" gaffes. They know exactly what they're saying. This is what they and all their followers believe (Dittoheads, good ol' boys, etc.). They don't feel they need to hide it.
    Exactamundo. Whether it's a newspaper with an offensive cartoon or some politico type with some offensive postcards, they all darned well knew what they were doing. Plausible deniability is a beaut ain't it?

And once again, for the one billionth time,

IF I OFFENDED ANYONE IS NOT, NADA, NEVER HAS BEEN AND NEVER WILL BE AN "APOLOGY," CAPICE, COMPRENDE???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information