Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LeRoy Carhart, Nebraska doctor, plans to offer 3rd-term abortions in Kansas

Default LeRoy Carhart, Nebraska doctor, plans to offer 3rd-term abortions in Kansas

A Nebraska doctor said Wednesday that he will perform third-term abortions in Kansas after the slaying of abortion provider George Tiller, but would not say whether he will open a new facility or offer the procedure at an existing practice.
    Dr. LeRoy Carhart declined to discuss his plans in detail during a telephone interview with The Associated Press, but insisted "there will be a place in Kansas for the later second- and the medically indicated third-trimester patients very soon."
    "I just think that until everything is in place, it's something that doesn't need to be talked about" in detail, Carhart said a day after Tiller's family announced his Wichita clinic was permanently shutting its doors.
    Tiller's clinic was one of the only facilities in the country that performed third-trimester abortions. Carhart has run his own clinic in Bellevue, Neb., since 1985, but had performed late-term abortions at Tiller's clinic because of Nebraska's more restrictive abortion laws.

Nebraska law does not allow an abortion if the fetus is considered viable, or able to survive outside the womb. Kansas law allows abortions on viable fetuses after the 21st week if carrying the pregnancy to term would endanger the mother's life or cause a "substantial and irreversible impairment" of a major bodily function. Courts have interpreted a "major bodily function" to include mental health.
    Carhart said he has not performed any abortion past the 22nd week of pregnancy at own clinic because he never trained his staff to do them.
    "If I have to train the staff and if I have to do them, then that's certainly an option" for a fetus that would not survive outside the womb, he said. Carhart said some of the staff from Tiller's clinic may join him in Nebraska to help with training.
    Carhart said he has already seen more patients at his Bellevue clinic since Tiller's was closed after he was shot May 31 while serving as an usher at his church. Scott Roeder, a 51-year-old Kansas City, Mo., resident, has been charged with first-degree murder and aggravated assault.
    Operation Rescue president Troy Newman said his group, which tried for years to put Tiller's clinic out of business, has discussed the idea of buying the tan, windowless building in east Wichita.
    "I would love to make an offer on that abortion clinic, and that's some of the discussion that we're having," Newman said Tuesday.

An attorney for Tiller wouldn't discuss the proposal. "I'm just not going to respond to every irreverent publicity stunt or comment by these extremists," attorney Dan Monnat said.
    Tiller's clinic was the site of a 45-day "Summer of Mercy" protest in 1991 that included attempts to blockade it and led to more than 2,700 arrests. Operation Rescue was founded in the 1980s by Randall Terry, who led the "Summer of Mercy" effort. Terry stopped using the Operation Rescue name because of multiple lawsuits. He and Newman are engaged in a legal dispute over who has the right to use the name.

___http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/06/10/leroy-carhart-nebraska-do_n_213970.html

Elite Member

How brave od this doctor to step up. I'm sure one of these fundies will take a shot at him too.

This will only end badly. Some extremists will take a shot at him and it will get ugly. I hate being cynical, but I can already see something bad happening.

It's good to see that this doctor's not running scared. But he better make sure he wears a vest and has some security at ALL times. Actually all abortion doctors need to take the same precautions against the right-wing fundies.

If I were him, I'd spend the extra money and buy this guy to guard my ass:

Well, as much as I support a woman's right to choose, late-term abortions (barring any of the aforementioned health risks, of course) are just barbaric and disgusting IMO

I agree that this guy needs to take some serious precautions right now.

I will say that abortions when the baby is viable outside the womb is too late for me.

Brave man. I hope he has good security to deal with all the assholes he's going to encounter for this.

i am not sure this will end good.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

I wish he had done it quietly...
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Ahh domestic terrorism.. ain't it grand?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

He definitely needs protection and is a brave man.
    I will say that abortions when the baby is viable outside the womb is too late for me.
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by DeChayz View Post
    Well, as much as I support a woman's right to choose, late-term abortions (barring any of the aforementioned health risks, of course) are just barbaric and disgusting IMO
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by DeChayz View Post
    I totally agree. And I'm neither a fundie or an asshole, and this makes me sick, honestly. I don't have a problem with it if the female's life is in danger, but I'm not sure how I feel about the "mental health" clause in there. Seems like you could say that you realized having a baby was wearing you down in the seventh month and that would be grounds for a late term abortion - I just don't know how I feel about that. You would think that the baby being a danger to someone's "mental health" could be determined WAY before it became viable in the womb. A late term abortion is absolutely barbaric, and (imo) should ONLY be used if the mother's physical health is compromised.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

He isnt brave he is an idiot
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information