Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Barack Obama is not marching with black pride

Lightbulb Barack Obama is not marching with black pride

Irene Monroe
    Posted: June 10, 2009 11:15 AM

June is Pride Month. And Black Pride contributes to the multicultural aspect of joy and celebration in the queer communities. Black Pride symbolizes not only black LGBTQ uniqueness as individuals and communities, but it also affirms our varied expressions of LGBTQ life in America.

This year will be our first Black Pride parade with an African American as president. And, no doubt, Obama's presidency engenders pride but not much hope.

In Obama's first days many of us want to know what is it with Obama and his team when it comes to our inclusion in his transformational administration?

One of our biggest obstacles in the African American community has been and continues to be the Black Church. Obama wooed black homophobic ministers to win black evangelicals voters during his campaign bid.

For example, when it was disclosed that Obama's inspirational gospel singer Donnie McClurkin, poster boy for African American ex-gay ministries, could be a potential liability not only to his three-city gospel tour to capture South Carolina's black evangelical voters, but also the nation's LGBTQ voters, he went into damage control.

As an appeasement plan Obama invited an openly gay white minister, the Rev. Andy Sidden, pastor of Garden of Grace United Church of Christ (formerly MCC Columbia) to speak at the gospelfest.

The Obama camp thought they stopped the fire before it got out of hand. But it backfired.

Instead it actually outed black closeted ministers and some of the black gospel chitlin' circuit's closeted gays ministers who usually are the biggest opponents of queer civil rights.

And Obama's act didn't get him out of hot water with another constituency in the African-American community: black LGBTQ voters. Many of us denounced the Obama campaign for choosing a white minister.

"It boggles the mind that the Obama campaign would select a white pastor to deal with a situation that is awash in black homophobia," Pam Spaulding of the highly acclaimed blog "Pam's House Blend" wrote.

Unfortunately Obama's choice reinforced two myths many black evangelicals hold: homosexuals are white and homosexuality is an abomination.

Frustrated with Obama's inattention to our issues, Edwin Greene, an African American gay man from Cincinnati said, "I think that if black LGBTs want Obama's attention we need to make some noise, so to speak. Let's organize a black LGBT demonstration/march on Washington, DC, this year. The noisy wheel gets the grease, so to speak. Let's show Obama, the nation and the world (and ourselves, most importantly) that we mean business."

For many of us LGBTQ African American religious activists across the country, but especially here in Massachusetts, we feel that Obama is not serious in making a dent in combating black homophobia or reaching out to the black LGBTQ community.

For example, Joshua Dubois is the head of the White House Office for Faith-Based and Neighborhood Partnerships. Dubois's office is to coordinate outreach to religious and community organizations.

But many of us are scratching our heads because we have never seen or heard of Dubois.

Sylvia Rhue, Director of Religious Affairs for National Black Justice Coalition, the only African American gay civil rights organization in the country, knows nothing about Dubois.

Since Obama's announcement of him, those of us involved in making our black churches open and affirming are looking for Rev. Joshua Dubois, especially here in the Greater Boston area.

Dubois, a young African American Pentecostal minister directed the religious outreach for the Obama campaign. He's reported to have worked as an associate pastor at a Pentecostal church in Massachusetts. But where?

"I know W.E. B. Dubios, but who is this guy Obama put in office. Has anyone seen or met him? We don't know of his contributions to the black gay community here and where he stands on the issues. We need a strong and visible religious advocate for the LGBT community, but specifically the African American community," said Rev. Glen Louis Campbell of Central Congregation, an openly gay African American minister in Boston.

The honorable Mayor E. Denise Simmons of Cambridge, first African American lesbian to hold office, doesn't know him. And Cambridge's former mayor, Kenneth Reeves, an African American gay male, doesn't know him either. None of Boston's political and religious allies to the African American LGBTQ community know him.

But most importantly Dubois has never been spotted at events important to the black LGBTQ community here in greater Boston and throughout Massachusetts, like our annual Bayard Rustin Community Breakfast, an HIV/AIDS awareness forum for LGBTQ communities of color and their family and friends. The Breakfast is a staple in our community and has been for seventeen years.

Every time Obama has nodded or winked at our community we have taken his gestures and even his words at face value to tether our hopes to. But we are getting the feeling he's not marching with us in our parade.

Irene Monroe: Obama Not Marching With Black Pride
    interesting.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

interesting indeed. the general view for Pentecostals is that homosexuality is a sin and an abomination, and exorcism is the only meaningful treatment....
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

^^And you know this because you've spoken to many Pentecostals?
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

No, I know this because I can read the Pentecostal church's own statements on homosexuality. Example:

'Let us therefore resolve that the United Pentecostal Church International go on public record as absolutely opposed to homosexuality and condemn it as a moral decadence and sin, and do hereby encourage prayer for the deliverance of those enslaved by that satanic snare.'

United Pentecostal Church International

The Assemblies of God denomination is the second largest Pentecostal faith group in the United States. It has a membership in excess of 2 million. In the late 1970's, a church committee was charged with the responsibility of studying homosexuality. Their report was adopted by the Assemblies of God General Presbytery on 1979-AUG-14.

The position paper expresses concern about the "alarming erosion of national moral standards" that homosexuality represents. They reject the demands for equality that gays and lesbians are openly making. At various points in the paper, homosexual behavior is described as an aberration, evil, a problem, sin against God and man, and ungodly, Gays and lesbians are termed "perverts." Homosexuality is consistently considered as a behavior, rather than an orientation.

The Assemblies of God and Homosexuality

Sexuality: Homosexual Conduct

I also said 'general view'

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

very general...I go to a Pentecostal church and I can tell you the UPC would not exorcise someone out of homosexuality. Nor are they looked down upon if they enter the door. I think some of the "oldtime" religions are becoming more progressive.
    I cant imagine how Obamas expastor viewed gays. I wonder, actually
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

June marks 'Juneteenth' which is a celebration of the end of slavery. There are going to be many black pride parades all over the country that won't have Obama marching in them. So, why is this parade any different?

Quote Originally Posted by cupcake View Post
    very general...I go to a Pentecostal church and I can tell you the UPC would not exorcise someone out of homosexuality. Nor are they looked down upon if they enter the door. I think some of the "oldtime" religions are becoming more progressive.
    Again, I did say general.

This is from the UPCI website:

Inasmuch as some segments of liberal Christianity have expressed a willingness to accept the so-called “gay rights” movement as a legitimate lifestyle, and

Whereas the inerrant, inspired Word of God emphatically declares, in Romans chapter I, homosexuality to be vile, unclean, unnatural, unseemly, and an abomination in the sight of God, and

Whereas the United Pentecostal Church International is a fundamental Bible-believing organism entrusted with a divine destiny to provide spiritual direction to a wayward world,

Let us therefore resolve that the United Pentecostal Church International go on public record as absolutely opposed to homosexuality and condemn it as a moral decadence and sin, and do hereby encourage prayer for the deliverance of those enslaved by that satanic snare.

King, Because he is homophobic, dontcha know!

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    No, I know this because I can read the Pentecostal church's own statements on homosexuality. Example:

'Let us therefore resolve that the United Pentecostal Church International go on public record as absolutely opposed to homosexuality and condemn it as a moral decadence and sin, and do hereby encourage prayer for the deliverance of those enslaved by that satanic snare.'

The Assemblies of God denomination is the second largest Pentecostal faith group in the United States. It has a membership in excess of 2 million. In the late 1970's, a church committee was charged with the responsibility of studying homosexuality. Their report was adopted by the Assemblies of God General Presbytery on 1979-AUG-14.

The position paper expresses concern about the "alarming erosion of national moral standards" that homosexuality represents. They reject the demands for equality that gays and lesbians are openly making. At various points in the paper, homosexual behavior is described as an aberration, evil, a problem, sin against God and man, and ungodly, Gays and lesbians are termed "perverts." Homosexuality is consistently considered as a behavior, rather than an orientation.

The Assemblies of God and Homosexuality

Sexuality: Homosexual Conduct

I also said 'general view'
    This is generalizations...because I have family members who attend Pentecostal churches, and they have LGBT outreaches, coming out counseling, and testing etc... So just because some antiquated 'doctrine' say's this, it doesn't mean that all Pentecostal Churches follow it!!!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

... juneteenth? LOL
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    ... juneteenth? LOL
    June 19 marks the annual celebration of Juneteenth, the date that brought Emancipation to 250,000 slaves in Texas. The Emancipation Proclamation was initially issued in 1863, however African Americans in Texas were not made aware of the liberation until June 19, 1865 when Union General Gordon Granger made the announcement in Galveston. The news of freedom gradually traveled to slaves throughout the state as individual plantation owners read the proclamation over the months following the end of the Civil War.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

Yes, i just think it's a silly name

Quote Originally Posted by *DIVA! View Post
    King, Because he is homophobic, dontcha know!

This is generalizations...because I have family members who attend Pentecostal churches, and they have LGBT outreaches, coming out counseling, and testing etc... So just because some antiquated 'doctrine' say's this, it doesn't mean that all Pentecostal Churches follow it!!!
    I am an undenominational Christian. The churches I've attended all have support services for AIDS patients, including *gasp*, homosexuals. No preaching, no scripture, no judging- just compassion, support, and a hand to hold. Fucking homophobic bigoted Christians we are...

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have. ~Thomas Jefferson

^^Welcome back to the politics threads, Tkd. I missed you here.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    ^^Welcome back to the politics threads, Tkd. I missed you here.
    Oh its only a short stay. And I miss you too, King. Haven't seen you around much. Hope you are well!

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have. ~Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by tkdgirl View Post
    Oh its only a short stay. And I miss you too, King. Haven't seen you around much. Hope you are well!
    Too bad. I miss debating politics with you.

And I'm doing okay. How about you?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information