Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Racial hatred runs African American family out of dream home

Thumbs down Racial hatred runs African American family out of dream home

Sadly, this isn't happening in the deep south (no offense) but in Southern California (and hardly an isolated incident at all).

Racial hatred runs African American family out of dream home - Los Angeles Times

Ronald Harris, 31, helped clean up the home of his brother's family after vandals broke in and spray-painted racial epithets across the walls, the furniture, the floors. They were the only African American family on the predominantly Latino block of Duarte

The charming house on a peaceful Duarte street was perfect for Channise Davy and her children -- until she came home to find the place vandalized, racial epithets strewn across the walls and furniture
    By Corina Knoll

June 4, 2009

The house, a three-bedroom cream-colored residence on a peaceful street, even had yellow and red roses waving merrily from the front lawn. And while the backyard was cramped, there was a nectarine tree, a red swing set and a small gazebo.

This is it, Channise Davy thought. Home.

Happy to have found a place near her salon in Altadena and close to her fiance in Pasadena, the 31-year-old hairdresser moved her four children from North Hollywood into the one-story charmer on Broach Avenue in Duarte last fall.

Davy never thought about the fact that they would be the only black family on the mostly Latino block -- until someone reminded her in a way that still makes her eyes tear and her stomach twist.

On May 8, Davy opened the door to her home and was greeted by a barrage of spray-painted racial epithets. The hardwood floors, the mirrors, the televisions, the dressers -- the vandals had turned the entire place into a canvas for that six-letter word used for decades to scare and scar African Americans.

Shaken, she immediately left and called police. And aside from one trip back to pick up some clothes, Davy has refused to return to a scene authorities believe was created by members of a local Latino gang.

"As far as hate crimes go, it's probably one of the worst ones I've seen in my career," said Sgt. Tony Haynes of the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department's Duarte station. "They trashed the furniture and tossed drawers -- there was pretty much no room left untouched."

The incident has been the talk of Duarte, a predominantly white and Latino bedroom community of 25,000 in the San Gabriel Valley. Black and Latino gangs have been active in the area for years, and last year a rash of interracial shootings occurred in nearby Monrovia.

Since the break-in, Davy and her children have lived in a hotel paid for by the county, but those funds ran out Saturday and she is struggling to find a new home in a place that feels safe.

"You can see it in her face, the stress she's going through," said Lynn Lawrence, who owns the salon where Davy works. "Emotionally it has had quite an effect on her."

Wary of disclosing the area in which she hopes to settle, Davy said the last two landlords she spoke with backed out at the last minute. Others have asked for deposits she can't afford.

"As of now, we really have nowhere to go," Davy said Monday in the courtyard of Duarte City Hall, where a community meeting had been called to address the incident. "It's kinda hard to pick up the pieces of what has transpired for me and my family."

As she spoke, Kenny Johnson was two miles away, lugging green garbage bags down the sidewalk of the working-class neighborhood where his children once played. The father of three of Davy's children, he had come to the house that morning with his brother and two friends to begin clearing away what belongings could be salvaged.

Johnson said he plans to marry Davy, but he keeps his own apartment so she can maintain her Section 8 eligibility. They had discovered the Duarte house together and agreed: Beautiful home. Beautiful neighborhood.

But after the break-in, the 36-year-old barber sees only an intimidating residence littered with shards of glass. "We were quiet people, man," he said, shaking his head in disbelief as he picked up children's shoes and toys. His children haven't seen the vandalism and only know that something bad happened there.

While his friends pulled a mattress out of the master bedroom, Johnson stopped to look at a wall calendar of Barack Obama. "This is the only thing they didn't touch," he said, smiling at the irony of hope hanging on one wall and hate spray-painted across the rest.

The landlord has encouraged the family to return, but Johnson said their sense of security has been violated. They won't get their deposit back, but moving is worth it, even if it means putting their things in storage for the time being.

"I don't blame them," said Davy's next-door neighbor Betty Peirce, 75. "I don't think I could come back either."

One of the few whites who live in the area, Peirce said she hadn't thought about racial tension during the three decades she has lived on Broach Avenue. She never imagined anything would happen to her black neighbors, especially because they seemed like nice people who were often at work.

Duarte officials and the county's Commission on Human Relations have extended support to Davy and called for healing in the community.

"It's obvious that even in Duarte, people still do incredibly stupid and foolish things," Mayor John Fasana said. He emphasized the city-sponsored programs already in place that promote racial unity, but said, "If there's gaps out there we need to fill in, we're open to new ideas."

Both Davy and Johnson say they just want to move forward with their lives.

"Bad things happen to good people all the time," Johnson said, taking a break from cleaning. "You just gotta live and learn."

His brother, Ronald Harris, 31, nodded, then paused. "Our grandparents used to tell us stories about stuff like this," he said. "We always thought, 'Nah, not us.' "

As birds chirped in the June breeze, the two sat for a moment on the stoop of the three-bedroom cream-colored residence on a peaceful street.

I can understand the instinct to want to up and leave. But I don't know if I would leave that quickly without a fight.

^ I think when your own your own, you're probably more likely to stay and fight. Having 4 kids would probably make you just want to get them out of the hateful enviornment.

It's sad.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    I can understand the instinct to want to up and leave. But I don't know if I would leave that quickly without a fight.
    I agree, but sadly it appears that a lot of this racial hatred between Blacks and Latinos' in Southern California is due to gang warfare and rivalries. The racism from the prisons have infiltrated neighborhoods.

Any Black family that is targetted by Latino gangbangers really is in a hard place. These gangsters aren't afraid of killing you because of your skin color, and they have no qualms about going to prison for killing Black kids (or vice versa). It's not like the police are going to protect you 24/7. Sadly, leaving is the only option when outnumbered like that.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    ^ I think when your own your own, you're probably more likely to stay and fight. Having 4 kids would probably make you just want to get them out of the hateful enviornment.

It's sad.
    Yeah, I thought about the kid's aspect. If I had kids I would have to think of them first.

Quote Originally Posted by celeb_2006 View Post
    I agree, but sadly it appears that a lot of this racial hatred between Blacks and Latinos' in Southern California is due to gang warfare and rivalries. The racism from the prisons have infiltrated neighborhoods.

Any Black family that is targetted by Latino gangbangers really is in a hard place. These gangsters aren't afraid of killing you because of your skin color, and they have no qualms about going to prison for killing Black kids (or vice versa). It's not like the police are going to protect you 24/7. Sadly, leaving is the only option when outnumbered like that.
    Good points. Because I've lived next to racist neighbors who did all kinds of bullshit, but gangbangers is a different matter. Unless you're armed and have plenty of backup.

And I've seen the Latino/black tensions, which isn't all gang-related. That's been going on for years. I remember when I was in high school there was a pretty much a riot between the blacks and Latinos. That was interesting to see up close.

Why is this? I know it sounds like such a dumb question, but its always sparked a curiosity in me. Most of the racism that I have seen personally has been between blacks/latinos and blacks/asians. Its weird because you would think there would be some sort of camaraderie because they are minorities, but then again I am naive that way. I don't understand hating anyone, period.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

From what I've seen, you just have different minority groups butting heads for various reasons, be it social, economic or just plain old racism. And with blacks and Hispanics I've seen it coming from both sides. It's crazy.

Actually I saw something on the news yesterday where this conservative Hispanic Manuel Miranda was talking about Sotomayor's nomination and he said "We're not like African-Americans. We think just like everybody else." I had to laugh at the sheer stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    From what I've seen, you just have different minority groups butting heads for various reasons, be it social, economic or just plain old racism. And with blacks and Hispanics I've seen it coming from both sides. It's crazy.

Actually I saw something on the news yesterday where this conservative Hispanic Manuel Miranda was talking about Sotomayor's nomination and he said "We're not like African-Americans. We think just like everybody else." I had to laugh at the sheer stupidity.
    WTF?! I'm wondering if there is a clip of this - was this on CNN?

Nevermind, I found it:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbDPuVSb12Y[/YOUTUBE]

Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

She receives section8??

That's terrible that this happened to her and her family...
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Seriously?? this is beyond sad! North Hollywood is a pretty racially diverse area. I hate hearing stuff like this.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by january View Post
    Why is this? I know it sounds like such a dumb question, but its always sparked a curiosity in me. Most of the racism that I have seen personally has been between blacks/latinos and blacks/asians. Its weird because you would think there would be some sort of camaraderie because they are minorities, but then again I am naive that way. I don't understand hating anyone, period.
    Yes , that is a pretty naive idea that minorities support each other. Racism exists everywhere , I have been told that Jewish people hate black people.

Well,I don't know about the gang stuff. I guess with kids it would come into play. I just think damn if I'd leave.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

Quote Originally Posted by DolceVita View Post
    Yes , that is a pretty naive idea that minorities support each other. Racism exists everywhere , I have been told that Jewish people hate black people.
    That's a stereotype that you shouldn't believe because it's not true. Of course there might be racist Jews out there, but that happens in every ethnicity in the world.

It's 2009 and if someone isn't ok with the fact that the US is one giant melting pot, then they need to leave and don't let the door hit them in the ass. Buh-bye!
    Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by sparkly View Post
    That's a stereotype that you shouldn't believe because it's not true. Of course there might be racist Jews out there, but that happens in every ethnicity in the world.

It's 2009 and if someone isn't ok with the fact that the US is one giant melting pot, then they need to leave and don't let the door hit them in the ass. Buh-bye!
    I think that door would have to be pretty big seeing as you still have people who are happy to endorse segragated proms etc

The U.S. is a melting pot, but the ingredients don't always mesh well so the pot is always at a slow burn.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information