Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Islamic world reacts to Obama's Cairo speech

Lightbulb Islamic world reacts to Obama's Cairo speech

Islamic World Reacts To Obama's Cairo Speech - Radio Free Europe / Radio Liberty © 2009

I wish I could see Rush's reaction when Obama quoted the Qu'ran, with that special PROPER foreign-y pronunciation of the word. I was hoping he would say 'asalama lakum' just for fun...but he actually said it!!!!!!1

[YOUTUBE]eEXioD7pjAg[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]TRNZceAhisw[/YOUTUBE]

Islamic World Reacts To Obama's Cairo Speech

U.S. President Barack Obama delivers his speech at Cairo University on June 4.

June 04, 2009
    (RFE/RL) -- Initial reactions from the Islamic world to U.S. President Barack Obama's "new beginning" speech at Cairo University were generally but not universally positive, ranging from a broad welcome by government officials and moderate clerics to outright rejection by some Islamist groups like the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt.

Nabil Abud Rdainah, a spokesman for Palestinian Authority President Mahmud Abbas, welcomed Obama's speech as "a good start and an important step toward a new American policy" in the Middle East.

He said Obama's call for Israel to stop settlement expansion and for the establishment of a Palestinian state, as well as Obama's references to the suffering of Palestinians, send a "clear message to Israel that a just peace is built on the foundations of a Palestinian state with Jerusalem as its capital."

At Tel Aviv University, the head of the Hartog School of Government, Yossi Shain, suggested that Obama's speech struck a balance on the need to understand both the Israeli and Palestinian perspectives in the Mideast conflict.

Shain said it was essential that Obama told the Arab world about the suffering of the Jews and the history of anti-Semitism, as well as Israel's right to exist. From the Israeli point of view, Shain said, it is essential for Arabs to understand Obama's statement that the United States has an unbreakable bond with Israel -- as well as Obama's call for Hamas and Arabs to end their hatred and senseless violence toward Israelis.

Likewise, Shain said, it was essential for Obama to tell Israel that it must abide by the rule of law and stop the expansion and construction of Jewish settlements on occupied Palestinian land. Shain said it also was essential for Israelis to recognize the suffering of Palestinians.

Wait And See

In Lebanon, Hezbollah party lawmaker Hassan Fadlallah described Obama's remarks as "moral or political sermons" that are not needed in the Islamic world. Fadlallah said what the Muslim world really needs is "a fundamental change in American policy beginning from a halt to complete support for Israeli aggression on the region, especially on the Lebanese and Palestinians, to an American withdrawal from Iraq and Afghanistan."

Muhammad Habib, deputy leader of the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt, described Obama's speech as "a public-relations address more than anything else." Habib also said Obama displayed an "unjust perspective" toward the Palestinian issue, "one that does not differ from former President [George W.] Bush and the neoconservatives' perspective."

A man in a Cairo coffee shop reacts as he listens to Obama's speech.
    The Gaza Strip's Hamas rulers were more equivocal.

Hamas spokesman Fawzi Barhum cautiously welcomed Obama's speech but called for his words to be followed by action.

Barhum said Obama's address "must be judged not on its form, but by the policies that Obama will apply on the ground to respect the freedom of people and their democratic choices and the right of the Palestinian people to its land."

The deputy mufti in Russia's Republic of Tatarstan, Valiulla Yakupov, told RFE/RL's Tatar-Bashkir Service that Obama's clear emphasis on a two-state solution between Palestinians and Israelis, "if implemented...would substantially pacify the overall situation between America and Muslims [and] that would help resolve civilizational problems as well."

Turning Point?

Mustafa Efendi Ceric, the grand mufti of Bosnia-Herzegovina, told RFE/RL's Balkan Service that the U.S. president's speech went beyond his expectations.

Ceric said he thought Obama made compelling points about Islam that many Muslims would rather not hear. But he said Muslims should see Obama's message as a historic opportunity to avoid a "clash of civilizations" that ends as a conflict between the West and Islam.

"I particularly like the fact that this time Obama managed to balance the [U.S.] approach to Israel. He did tell the Jewish people that America would do anything to avoid a Holocaust and that denying the Holocaust is a crime equal to the Holocaust -- he highlighted that, so that all Muslims in the world could clearly understand it," Ceric said. "But at the same time he sent a sharp message to Israel that they have to change their attitude toward Palestinians and they have to stop the practice of building new settlements on the Occupied Territories."

Turkish President Abdullah Gul said Obama's position on Middle East peace was "very appropriate." Gul welcomed the messages and assurances that Obama gave, saying "the U.S. president showed that he is a constructive leader with whom Muslim countries can engage in partnership for peace and stability."

In Iraq, government spokesman Ali Al-Dabbagh called the speech "historic and important," saying it is "a new start" and a positive direction for the new administration in Washington.

But Hazim al-Nuami, an analyst at Baghdad University, said Obama gave nothing new to Iraqis -- only a promise to respect the rights of minorities and work with consensus. "In all ways, Nuaimi said, "[Obama] tries to remove himself from all that happened in Iraq."

Abdullah Attai, a professor at Al-Azhar University in Cairo and an expert on Afghanistan, called Obama's speech a historic turning point.

Attai told RFE/RL's Radio Free Afghanistan that Obama's remarks hit such a resonant note with Muslims around the world that it marks the beginning of the isolation of Al-Qaeda.

Watching South Asian

However, a resident in Afghanistan's southern province of Helmand told Radio Free Afghanistan that there is a great contrast between the words he heard from Obama and the military activity he sees in Afghanistan.

As Obama spoke in Cairo, his envoy, Richard Holbrooke, was seeking more aid for displaced Pakistanis.
    "Right now I am in the Nad-e Ali district of Helmand, and the airplanes are flying above us as they bomb us -- so I must ask how Obama's sweet talk and strategy will benefit us. It will only benefit us if he can extinguish this fire [of violence]," the man, Bawari, said. "In my opinion, he should take what he is now is spending on the war in Afghanistan, which harms the people of Afghanistan, his soldiers and people [and] he should spend it all on [pursuing] peace."

A leading Islamic cleric in Tajikistan, former mufti and current legislator Hoji Akbar Turajonzoda, challenged the lofty language of Obama's speech and said "one of the examples of the Obama administration's real attitude to the Muslim world is Pakistan's U.S.-backed operations against Islamists in Swat Valley," where Islamabad has recently launched major military operations to retake swaths of territory from Taliban-linked extremists.

Turajonzoda said "the U.S. might gain a real respect in the Muslim world if it proved that the Muslims are of the same importance for Washington as Israel."

Ilgar Ibrahimoglu, a Baku Shi'ite imam who is also an outspoken activist on religious freedom, told RFE/RL's Azerbaijan Service that he saw promise in Obama's remarks.

"There are words, big gestures, theories," Ibrahimoglu said. "I hope there will be more than words and all these [remarks] will be put into practice, but it is very important that Obama wants to change. Whether it will work or not is another story."

Written in Prague by Ron Synovitz, and Andy Heil with contributions from RFE/RL's Radio Free Afghanistan, Azerbaijani Service, Balkan Service, Tajik Service, and Tatar-Bashkir Service. With additional wire service reporting

Good speech. Of course his quoting the Qu'ran and using the Muslim greeting will just be an excuse for Rush and the Republicans to say 'See, he's a secret Muslim.'

Now, I'm trying to imagine Dubya giving this same speech. LOL.

Moar

Obama Speech Draws Strong Reactions From Egyptians, Arabs And Israelis

Transcript
    Obama Cairo Speech (VIDEO): Calls For New Beginning, Gets Standing Ovation
    Obama Speech In Cairo: VIDEO, Full Text

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Good speech. Of course his quoting the Qu'ran and using the Muslim greeting will just be an excuse for Rush and the Republicans to say 'See, he's a secret Muslim.'
    Trust, they won't get it. When the US visit foreign countries, greeting them with their own terminology is a form of flattery. However, the cons won't recognize this in this case.

IS IT EVER THE MORE OBVIOUS NOW THAT HE IS A SECRET MUSLIM!! HE EVEN KNOWS VERSES FROM THE QU'RAN!!!!!!!!!1111ELEVEN

LMAO. I can already hear the pausing and his Texas accent.

'ah...'so...solah...uh...lakem'

(confused and pity applause)

heh-heh-heh. NAILED IT!

Bronze Member

Obama Cairo Speech Stirs Mixed Feelings in the Holy Land

In downtown Jerusalem, hardly any Israelis paused from their shopping to hear U.S. President Barack Obama's televised Cairo speech. Most will hear snippets of it tonight, rehashed and analyzed on the evening news. Obama has been portrayed favorably by the Israeli media, but lately, perhaps parroting the siege mentality of the new right-wing government, the media has attacked the White House for being too insistent on freezing Jewish settlement activity in the Palestinian territories, which the White House sees as vital to reviving peace talks.
    The Israeli far right - many of whose supporters gathered yesterday outside the U.S. consulate with portraits of Obama with a Palestinian headscarf superimposed on his head, with the words "Jew-hater" written beneath - is unlikely to be swayed by Obama's balanced oratory. Even among moderate Israelis, there is a doubt about Obama's intentions. "His middle name, Hussein, keeps coming back to me. We're suspicious of him," says Yossi Danon, a high-tech expert. "Obama's entitled to change U.S. policy in the region - this is too much for Israel." (See Cairo getting ready for Obama.)
    Still, most Israelis, according to political scientist Eytan Gilboa from Bar-Ilan university in Tel Aviv, will give Obama high marks for his reassurance of an "unbreakable" bond between Israel and the U.S. and for his criticism of those Muslims, such as Iranian leader Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, who deny the Holocaust. "But Israelis will need to be convinced that they'll be living next to a Palestinian state that isn't Hamastan," says Gilboa, adding, "It seemed like Iran's nuclear issue was low on his priorities, and that's a main problem not just for Israelis but Arabs too."
    Alon Pinkus, a former adviser on U.S. affairs to four Israeli foreign ministers, says that before Obama's speech, "the national mood was that the U.S. and Israel were on a collision course. But Obama made a very balanced, respectful speech. It wasn't too pro- or anti-Israeli." (See pictures of Obama in Egypt.)
    The Israeli media reported that Premier Benjamin Netanyahu had been worried about Obama's speech and was peeved that an advanced copy had not been provided to his office. An insider says that on the contrary, Netanyahu realized that Obama's speech would be nothing less than a "remapping of U.S policy in the Middle East, and it is in Israel's interests to play along." He adds, "Bibi [Netanyahu] understands that the Obama locomotive is passing through, and he'd better not get left stranded at the station."
    In the Palestinian territories, Obama's speech was watched more avidly. Broadcast on Gulf, Egyptian and Jordanian satellite-TV channels, Palestinians in coffee houses and restaurants were riveted by Obama's words. Fouad, a teacher, says, "I was emotionally moved by Obama's delivery. I loved his grasp of Islamic history." A Bethlehem mother, Raheeda Hamad, says she approved of Obama's message of a global partnership and of the necessity for equal education for women. At Nablus University, political scientist and Islamic scholar Abdul Sattar Qasim says, "His speech was very close to the heart. He has a way of speaking directly to the people, something other leaders have forgotten." But the scholar also injects a note of criticism: "He spoke of the violence of Hamas but didn't mention the daily violence that Israeli inflicts on us Palestinians."

Obama Cairo Speech Stirs Mixed Feelings in the Holy Land - Yahoo! News

Why is the US providing money to Israel? Whenever someone opposes them they refer to the "holocaust" and call them anti-semitists. Sure, it was awful but that doesn't permit them to do what ever they fucking want. I know I don't know much about their history between palestinians but I'm really starting be annoyed with them.

Quote Originally Posted by coolios5o View Post
    Why is the US providing money to Israel?

Whenever someone opposes them they refer to the "holocaust" and call them anti-semitists. Sure, it was awful but that doesn't permit them to do what ever they fucking want. I know I don't know much about their history between palestinians but I'm really starting be annoyed with them.
    Some good info here

Israeli–Palestinian conflict - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote Originally Posted by bychance View Post
    Moar

Obama Speech Draws Strong Reactions From Egyptians, Arabs And Israelis

Transcript
    Obama Cairo Speech (VIDEO): Calls For New Beginning, Gets Standing Ovation
    Obama Speech In Cairo: VIDEO, Full Text

Trust, they won't get it. When the US visit foreign countries, greeting them with their own terminology is a form of flattery. However, the cons won't recognize this in this case.

IS IT EVER THE MORE OBVIOUS NOW THAT HE IS A SECRET MUSLIM!! HE EVEN KNOWS VERSES FROM THE QU'RAN!!!!!!!!!1111ELEVEN

LMAO. I can already hear the pausing and his Texas accent.

'ah...'so...solah...uh...lakem'

(confused and pity applause)

heh-heh-heh. NAILED IT!
    The guy couldn't even speak English, let alone any foreign language!

Texas: “the great sstate of Taxessess”

Tariff barriers: “barriffs or terriers”

commensurate: “commiserate”

Handcuffs: “cuff links”

shuttle payload: “shuttle payroll”

Tactical nuclear weapons: “tacular weapons”

nuclear: “nukular”

terrorist: “terrst”

weapons of mass destruction: “weapons of mass production”

Viable: “vile”

regime: “region” (perhaps Bush’s speechwriter did not tell him what that big word meant, so he read it as a word he did know.)

hostage: “hostile”

arbitration: “aribtrary”

persevere: “preserve”

obfuscate: “obscufate”

Greeks: “Grecians”

Balkanize: “Vulcanize”

elaborating: “inebriating”

vociferously: “vigorously”

Source: The Dylexia Of George W. Bush
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post

Yeah the ignorant, redneck, racist haters in this neck of the woods are shitting themselves over this. One more week and I'm outta here!
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

Quote Originally Posted by MrsDark View Post
    Yeah the ignorant, redneck, racist haters in this neck of the woods are shitting themselves over this. One more week and I'm outta here!
    Are you leaving the south altogether? Congrats on your move- it sounds like something you really want.
    Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

Quote Originally Posted by HWBL View Post
    The guy couldn't even speak English, let alone any foreign language!

Texas: “the great sstate of Taxessess”

Tariff barriers: “barriffs or terriers”

commensurate: “commiserate”

Handcuffs: “cuff links”

shuttle payload: “shuttle payroll”

Tactical nuclear weapons: “tacular weapons”

nuclear: “nukular”

terrorist: “terrst”

weapons of mass destruction: “weapons of mass production”

Viable: “vile”

regime: “region” (perhaps Bush’s speechwriter did not tell him what that big word meant, so he read it as a word he did know.)

hostage: “hostile”

arbitration: “aribtrary”

persevere: “preserve”

obfuscate: “obscufate”

Greeks: “Grecians”

Balkanize: “Vulcanize”

elaborating: “inebriating”

vociferously: “vigorously”

Source: The Dylexia Of George W. Bush
    [YOUTUBE]CtRWaoEw0uU[/YOUTUBE]

"Nukular" was my favorite Dumbya word ever... He would say it all the time too.

I do'nt see anything wrong with O saying "asalamalakum"

It means Peace be with you, not We're gonna bomb the shit out of you by 12 p.m. so get the fuck outta town before you have no town.

HWBL... great list! I own a Bushism book or two. Great fun.

^^My favorite part of Get Smart was when James Caan was playing a 'Dubya-like' president and mispronounced nuclear and Alan Arkin's character corrected him "It's nuclear!"

Good for you. I wore my Obama shirt around some of the conservatives who I knew I wouldn't be seeing again just to piss them off. Their reactions were priceless.

HWBL, that Dubya list is classic. LOL.

Its started already -

"he's reaching out to extremists!"

"he only quoted once from the Bible and many times from the Quran, what does that tell you?"

"he made the Palestinian plight sound like the Holocaust! Blasphemy!"

Rush Limbaugh is getting his little followers all riled up.

Its amazing to me that anyone could see Israel as a perpetual victim and blameless, and needs to be protected if you serve God - people need to break out of their bubble. Its unbelievable.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

Quote Originally Posted by sparkly View Post
    Are you leaving the south altogether? Congrats on your move- it sounds like something you really want.
    Well technically speaking, I'm moving further south. But it's Miami, so needless to say it'll be a 180 from this place in more ways than one...

From what I know, Florida as a whole is a conservative state (I'll bet any amount of money it still has nothing on Mississippi though), but Miami is like a whole other world in itself!

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

Well technically speaking, I'm moving further south. But it's Miami, so needless to say it'll be a 180 from this place in more ways than one...

From what I know, Florida as a whole is a conservative state (I'll bet any amount of money it still has nothing on Mississippi though), but Miami is like a whole other world in itself!
    It's hot as Hades down there. I lived right above Miami for a year or so, and I'm glad I left because it's so crowded and so stifling hot that you can barely breathe in the summer. Miami has lots of great qualities though, with one of the best being the island and latin cultures that are infused with American culture. The beaches are awesome and the food is spectacular (depending on where you go). It will definitely be a huge change for you, that's for sure. Congrats!
    Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

Believe it or not, the heat feels better there to me than here. That breeze makes ALL the difference in the world. And what a perfect metphor considering I'm about to leave a place that is stagnant in more ways than just air/heat/humidity!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information