Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Obama reiterates promise to 'end' 'Don't Ask'

Default Obama reiterates promise to 'end' 'Don't Ask'

Obama reiterates promise to 'end' 'Don't Ask' - Ben Smith - POLITICO.com

Obama reiterates promise to 'end' 'Don't Ask'

The President signed a gay pride proclamation today, reiterating deferred campaign pledges, including ending 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell,' but making no mention of same-sex marriage.

The Advocate's Kerry Eleveld wondered recently, "Will anything that doesn’t address “don’t ask, don’t tell” and full marital rights satisfy the [gay and lesbian] masses, who have shown increasing unrest lately?"
    A proclamation seems unlikely to do that, though it does touch a series of issues:
    My Administration has partnered with the LGBT community to advance a wide range of initiatives. At the international level, I have joined efforts at the United Nations to decriminalize homosexuality around the world. Here at home, I continue to support measures to bring the full spectrum of equal rights to LGBT Americans. These measures include enhancing hate crimes laws, supporting civil unions and Federal rights for LGBT couples, outlawing discrimination in the workplace, ensuring adoption rights, and ending the existing "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy in a way that strengthens our Armed Forces and our national security. We must also commit ourselves to fighting the HIV/AIDS epidemic by both reducing the number of HIV infections and providing care and support services to people living with HIV/AIDS across the United States.
    Full proclamation after the jump.
    » Continue reading Obama reiterates promise to 'end' 'Don't Ask'

Obama's just trying to buy himself some time and take the heat off.

I'll believe it when he actually does it.

He'll do it. Timing is off for now. Too many irons in the fire.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I wish he would just stop with making promises here and there. Really, in the end it doesn't make him look good to stretch himself all the time with promise after promise.

too much on his plate my ass

"oh i cant end DADT with a stroke of a pen, but i CAN put "middle east peace" on my plate a day after i told the gays i was too busy with what i already had."

Fuck off till you DO something.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post

"oh i cant end DADT with a stroke of a pen, but i CAN put "middle east peace" on my plate a day after i told the gays i was too busy with what i already had."

Lawd! I guess if McClain had won,you'd be in a nut house by now!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I think he will try to do it, but he has to do it when he has more support. Even if he vetoes it, if they can rally 2/3rds of the various branches of gov't, it will be all for nothing.

It's interesting, I got free tickets to see Bush and Clinton last week, and they talked about this. Clinton signed this, now if you take what they said at face value, he mentioned that this DADT was the lesser of evils and if he didn't sign this, then a complete ban on gays in the military was going to go through, and even if he vetoed it, he knew that it could be overturned.

Politics is a shitty dance. I'd much prefer to be Queen, just do as I fucking say!

This is politics. It is not the right time for him to push this to the forefront and those who are waiting for it to happen really have to look at the atmosphere.

He is going to take the heat off himself, which any politician would do.

If that White House were GOP headed, DADT would be pushed...to the point of an all out witch hunt.

It's never the right time with politicians.

The whole "it's not the right time/atmosphere/sit down and wait/there are more important" things argument doesn't work considering the last bunch of civil rights had to be IMPOSED on the nation. Oddly enough, it's working the opposite way this time.. the public is more accepting than the government is, which is cowering in fear of doing anything.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

They did have to be imposed, and look at how they had to be imposed. Massive boycotts, strikes, charismatic leaders (not just the US, anywhere), support from advocate groups. The time was also right too, but I don't think the politicians then would have gotten up off their seats had there not been a whole bunch of pressure working all the way up from grassroots.

I don't know if that is even possible nowadays, but if it were, if every gay/lesbian/supporter were to get involved in such action, I would think that Washington would be moving on these issues a lot more quickly. I think there needs to be nationwide coordinated action. And I think the time is right, or just about there.

Right, because matters concerning gay people are far more urgent and important than the violence and damaged US relations between the Muslim people of the middle east

Sorry to be blunt but he has other things that should/and are #1 on his 'to do list'.

Quote Originally Posted by celeb_2006 View Post
    I wish he would just stop with making promises here and there. Really, in the end it doesn't make him look good to stretch himself all the time with promise after promise.
    Keep track of them here than

PolitiFact | The Obameter: Tracking Barack Obama's Campaign Promises

It's never the right time with politicians.

The whole "it's not the right time/atmosphere/sit down and wait/there are more important" things argument doesn't work considering the last bunch of civil rights had to be IMPOSED on the nation. Oddly enough, it's working the opposite way this time.. the public is more accepting than the government is, which is cowering in fear of doing anything.
    Yes, they had to be imposed, but there was not an economic crisis, two wars, and other issues. You also have to look at it from another way, which I already know you won't, but anywho... Regardless of economic, regional, or racial, which was the last topic of civil rights, differences, homosexuality is not seen as race is.

You really think the public is more accepting? That was quite obvious in the Proposition 8 vote, wasn't it?

DADT and DOMA are not in the top priorities for the country overall, and to be blunt, at this time, shouldn't be.

Quote Originally Posted by bychance View Post
    Right, because matters concerning gay people are far more urgent and important than the violence and damaged US relations between the Muslim people of the middle east

Sorry to be blunt but he has other things that should/and are #1 on his 'to do list'.
    To gay people, apparently they are. At least we would all be equal in poverty and attacks against the infidels.

Quote Originally Posted by bychance View Post
    Thanks for the link, B.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information